Horizon mode problem

ALPINEX

Horizon mode problem

Post by ALPINEX »

Hey guys, new user here. This is actually my first FC. I've seen this topic many times on here as well as other forums, but I'm not seeing it to the extent I'm having and have found no solution so I was hoping for some help.

The problem is with horizon or angle mode, either one I choose. My acc, Mag and gyro have been calibrated and re calibrated multiple times. I'm seeing 0, 0 and 506 or so on the acc. And from what I read depending on the board version (which is an ez 3.0 with the latest 2.3) this reading can be either 256 or 512. I believe I'm OK there. However when switching into horizon mode the quad (cinetank mk 1) pitches forward 20 degrees plus. I've done the acc trim method bringing the quad back 15 clicks at a time. Sometimes there's no change at all, sometimes a bit. One time I did get it to switch and be completely level, but when I tried to fly it around a bit and let it return to level it way over corrected and became uncontrollable.

I'm going to keep working with the acc trimming, but we're convinced we're missing something despite all the threads and googling that's been done. Just hoping someone has a suggestion.

Thanks

waltr

Re: Horizon mode problem

Post by waltr »

Which FC board?
Which MW code version?
Are the values from the RX stable and return to 1500 when the sticks are released to center?
Did you tune the PIDs in ACRO mode???
Did you adjust the TX Trim Tabs in Acro mode?
These must be done before switching into Angle or Horizon mode.

The Acc values are fine.
Did you use a bubble level to ensure the copter is actually level before ding the Acc Cal?

ALPINEX

Re: Horizon mode problem

Post by ALPINEX »

Sorry a bit of that info was a bit buried in the post, I'll do my best here to answer all questions. The board is an ez 3.0 with the latest 2.3 loaded. GUI does not show exactly 1500 on the trims for all channels, but the furthest variation from that is 1502, which I read should be OK? I did use a bubble level on the quad when calibrating the acc and no trimming was required in acro mode at all. I've not adjusted the PIDs in acro mode as it flies well enough that I can't see room for improvement, this is my first quad and I've only needed to mess with PIDs on my helis. The quad is ridiculously stable in acro mode, does just what I tell it to, no more, no less. I flew again today, but didn't try going to horizon mode.

I will be flying with a more experienced quad flyer this weekend and while he has no experience with multiwii I'm hoping that simply getting a 3rd set of eyes on it will help. Before we head out I'm going to reset the FC in GUI so that while I haven't really messed with anything we know we're starting completely clean and re calibrated. In the mean time any and all thoughts or ideas are more than welcome and I appreciate your response!