New to the MultiWii, coming from APM 2.5 - *RESOLVED*

geggog

New to the MultiWii, coming from APM 2.5 - *RESOLVED*

Post by geggog »

Hey guys,

Whilst I've got a bit of APM experience under my belt (this was my first flight computer, I've built a few quads based off this now), I'm only a rookie when it comes to the MultiWii. I must admit though, I was amazed the first time I flew my mini quad at how stable it was with stock settings - rather impressive indeed.

I have two quick questions which I'm hoping someone can clear up for me :-

1. When flying MultiWii 2.2 in Angle or Horizon modes, when I let go of the sticks, whilst the MultiWii auto levels, it does this rather slowly (comparatively to my APM which snaps back to level almost in an instant). Is this considered normal? Note that try as I might, no amount of LEVEL PID changing appears to make a difference here. Here's a little video to show you what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DOqlvz9KS8

2. Secondarily, whilst the quad flies rather smoothly, one thing I did notice is that when I apply full PITCH or ROLL in Angle mode the quad will lock in and fly quite solidly, but it loses altitude as it goes. Again, the APM doesn't do this, it'll fly in the direction you tell it to without losing any altitude. With the MultiWii, I find I'm having to add throttle to maintain the altitude. Is this normal or should I be looking to change some of the settings in an attempt to dial this out?

Unsure if it helps, but I've also attached a screen grab of my settings from the GUI too.

Thanks in advance should anyone be able to provide any pointers here, as it'd be much appreciated. :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-11-05 at 12.32.48 pm.png

geggog

Re: New to the MultiWii, coming from APM 2.5 - *RESOLVED*

Post by geggog »

Hey guys,

In doing a little reading, I stumbled across this little thread on a horizon issue in V2.2 :-

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3806

Reading through the symptoms it sounded rather similar to the issues I had been experiencing... it was just too slow returning back to level after pitch/roll. To cut a relatively short story shorter, I installed the V2.3 release candidate, upped the rates a tad and viola! It now flies (and returns to level) like a dream.

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

awesome Geggog, i would love to hear a nice comparison of MW to APM from you soon!

geggog

Post by geggog »

tovrin wrote:awesome Geggog, i would love to hear a nice comparison of MW to APM from you soon!

In the grand scheme of things I still consider myself a novice at both. In saying that, I'm more than happy to do a bit of a write up comparing the two once I feel I'm across the ins and outs.