Saving trim settings?

hcker2000

Saving trim settings?

Post by hcker2000 »

So every time I power up my quad copter I have to spend time triming it level. I do this with the disarm > full throttle and then moving the right stick in the direction the quad needs to go (for example move stick up and release). That part works great but it dosnt seem to save my settings as when I power back up I have to do it all over again.

Near as I can tell I'm having to trim in the same directions and amount every time.

Any way to save the trim?

mopedcrosser

Re: Saving trim settings?

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

the settings are saved usually. I always do it the exact same way you described after flashing a new version. Is your board probably loosely mounted so that it changes the angle a little bit ? To which direction does it drift every time ?

You did not accidently figure out how to set the gimbal override channel, hm ? Cant find it in the latest dev version..

Seb

hcker2000

Post by hcker2000 »

I'm running mw 2.1 and it is hard mounted so no shift of the board. If the quad's front is facing away from me then it always pitches back and roles left to start with.

To correct back pitch it takes some where between 25 and 30 forward stick movements to trim it level.
To correct the left role its about 10 or so.

Andy7

Post by Andy7 »

hcker2000 wrote:I'm running mw 2.1 and it is hard mounted so no shift of the board. If the quad's front is facing away from me then it always pitches back and roles left to start with.

To correct back pitch it takes some where between 25 and 30 forward stick movements to trim it level.
To correct the left role its about 10 or so.

Is it perhaps the trim on your TX being reset?
Coincidentally I have the exact same drift problem but I think it's partly my I and D settings causing it to just slope away due the CG being slightly off centre.

Zapphoid

Post by Zapphoid »

I see this type of problem if the machine is not perfectly level on power-up

Andy7

Re:

Post by Andy7 »

Zapphoid wrote:I see this type of problem if the machine is not perfectly level on power-up

+1
I was about to suggest that too. I have been testing my quad recently in the garden which has a small but appreciable slope. I can't test for a while now because grass seed is growing.

I'm going to try launching from a board next time I'm tuning that has been propped up and leveled... Try to eliminate some of the variables.

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hey!
First, wich mode are we talking of? I guess levelmode, right?
Do you know you have to trim your vehicle in acro mode using your transmiter trims? These trims should be stored in your transmiter.
As it goes to levelmode, the stick combinations will only make sense if you correct set your acromode trims.
Dont move your copter after power up for around 10 secound. Otherwise it will disturb gyro initialisation.
You do not have to place it completly flat, just dont touch it.
It does not matter in wich angle you gonna take off. But FC will not allow you to arm if a certain angle away from leveled is reached.

Hope that helped.

Greetz Noc

hcker2000

Post by hcker2000 »

Yes I'm talking about levelmode.

Can you give more info about trimming in accro mode before trimming level mode?

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

stay in angle mode thats fine. What they are saying is that you may not move the copter after connecting the battery. If you move it after plugging the battery in while gyros are calibrating you will see an error comparable to yours. It is not important to level the copter during powerup, but dont shake or move it for approx. 10 seconds. You can also take a look at your gyro values in gui they should all show 0. If not, you found the issue. Furthermore your stick values should show about 1500 in centered position in gui. If not, you found a second error. If this still does not fix the issue, please post a screenshot of your GUI while the copter is sitting still on a table.

Best regards

Seb

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

mopedcrosser has a good point, if your FC gets jostled while its calibrating the gyros (does this at first power on) it will cause very odd problems, also make sure nothing is loose, especially your battery.

I believe he's wrong about leaving it in angle mode, I would not use angle mode until you get this issue resolved, I've seen very erratic results of a badly trimmed/calibrated gyro in combination with a armed ACC, including sudden death wobbles when making hard turns.

my DIY quad had a loose battery mount (a single Velcro strap holding it in place) that was causing me to trim it every time because my battery wasn't in the exact spot every time, and i got tired of doing this, so i flew it as is one day, and i was flying rather aggressively when during a heavy shift in direction at full throttle it just flipped out and hit the ground shattering one of my booms, and throwing my battery 10 feet away. I have since rebuilt and mounted my battery much more firmly and never saw that again.

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hey,
when it comes to acro trim, just takeoff in acromode and use the trims of your transmitter to correct any constant drift.
If this is done, levelmode is ready for being trimmed via stick commands.
FIRST get acromode(gyro only) working perfect. As tovrin mentioned, levelmode (accrelometer) also makes use of your gyrodata.

Greetz Noc

edit:
Also have a look at this -> http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=PID

hcker2000

Post by hcker2000 »

Interesting I will have to make sure I'm not moving it while powering it up and see if I get better results.

hcker2000

Post by hcker2000 »

I'm thinking that I was moving it a bit during power up. This time I made sure not to move it during power up and for at least 10 seconds after and it was good to go. Now I just need to run my power cables different so pluging/unpluging is easier.