please someone explain BARO to me!

zwiebacksaege

please someone explain BARO to me!

Post by zwiebacksaege »

Hi guys... I was playing a little with my new board including a baro sensor. Now I wanted to check ALT_HOLD but i'm not sure what to do with throttle meanwhile. The code says there is some default deadband of 40 for throttle. Does it mean 40 from exact midposition of throttle or from the actual throttle pos in the moment of activating ALT_HOLD?
Yesterday I made a short test flight and activated ALT_HOLD while climbing at approx 75% throttle and it remained climbing. When I read the 2.2 code I understand so that it shouldn't - no matter where the throttle stick is.... so whats right now?

Meez

Re: please someone explain BARO to me!

Post by Meez »

Normally AH around 50% throttle stick position but sometimes it's hard to maintain that particular position while watching our aircraft during flying. I believed, that 40% value is from 0% throttle up to 60% so while your stick around this area at the same time you hit AH, your aircraft will stay at that altitute. I learned this from MK but on MW i only use 50% mid throttle setting in GUI. That fine for me until now.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

simply activate Baro Mode at your current stick position. You will see the copter maintaining the current altitude. If you will move the stick from that posititon, the copter will rise or sink. If you deactivate baro then, it will have the throttle again matching the stick position. You could say that in Baromode the stick controls the altitude, not the throttle. However ... altitude is related to throttle :-)

Prout22

Post by Prout22 »

Hi,

I read the post and the meaning of the deadband of 40 is still not clear for me.

What im trying to understand more globally is how the baro can react on a receiver failsafe occurence. I have a Paris v4r6 with GPS and the recommendation is to put Baro ON, Rth ON, MAG on in case of failsafe and set the throttle a little bit more than hover.

As the stick position for hover changes during the discharge of the battery (i have a 4S 16.8 at full to 14.8V), im trying to understand how the BARO can adjust the throttle value. Then i will be able to chose the best throttle stick position for failsafe.

Thank you!

Prout22

Post by Prout22 »

To complete (more clear):

im trying to understand how the BARO can adjust the (static) throttle value (set for failsafe). And what are the limit of the BARO adjustment for throttle.

What is more or less related to the initial question.

Thanks again.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

all this is my opinion, someone should correct me if wrong !

The failsafe throttle is in the current version only used for failsafe ! That means you set it to a little below hover to make your copter not crash too hard (or land smoothly in case it matches perfectly the current discharge). The failsafe currently looks for a failure of the throttle signal. You can simply try it by turnig off your RC while the copter is not in the air. But be careful ;-) better remove props...In case the signal gets below ~ 999 failsafe will be activated after the adjusted delay. RTH and Baro wont help you in that case. I guess what they mean is to set up your receiver as follows (which is smart since your copter will come home instead of crashing).

You need to set the failsafe throttle (of your receiver !!!) to any throttle between 1000 and 2000 to prevent your copter from entering the failsafe mode in case of a lost signal. I guess it would be good to set throttle about the value of hovering, however if baro activated, baro will control the throttle to maintain the current heigth ! Then you set RTH and BARO and Angle as your failsafe (in the receiver again !!!). Et voila ;-) You got a RTH failsafe. However, autolanding is missing in this tweak.. but thats ok, your battery will drain at any time and the copter will hopefully come down slowly. Furthermore its likely that because of the RTH you get your signal back and are able to control your copter again.

More clear ? Hope I could help !

Sebastian

Prout22

Post by Prout22 »

Hi,

thanks for your reply.

Yes, when i say failsafe, im only talking about the receiver failsafe. (hitec optima7 in my case..).

In case of failsafe (receiver), Baro will control the throttle, but ...what happens if there is a big gap between "the good throttle value to hover" and "the failsafe throttle value". This where we come back to the initial question of this post : Baro seems to adjust throttle to hover if the gap is not too big - That is to say if the copter is almost hovering and just needs small throttle adjustment. Otherwise, if the gap is too big, it does not try to adjust, right?

Or it is confirmed, that whatever the throttle value at Alt_hold activation, Baro will adjust the throttle?