Yaw rate too low.

Phil S.

Yaw rate too low.

Post by Phil S. »

I fly a MultiWii SE 2.0 FC (the green one from Goodluckbuy, "without Crius logo") on a stock Gaui 500X quad. Roll and pitch react like hell, at the same time the copter is perfectly stable, it couldn´t be any better. Compared to that, yaw is pretty lame.

TX settings are at maximum, expo is set to +60%, dual rate and servo endpoints to highest possible percentage. Hence, PWM runs from 900 to 2100μs, can´t get more from that.

PID on yaw is 5,5 - 0,060 - 0, rate is 0,35. Changing these parameters results in either lower yaw rate, loss of control or issues with yaw stop when centering stick.

The propeller axes of the 500X are inclined so the thrust vectors enhance yaw movements. No way getting more from that side.

When steering all three axes at the same time, yaw is not bad, but in isolated pirouetting rate is certainly below 360deg/s. With a KK5.5 FC on the same quad it is a lot more!

Does anybody know a tweak?

Regards, Philipp

tovrin

Re: Yaw rate too low.

Post by tovrin »

i keep my YAW rate at .70 and it turns my bird pretty quickly without any control issues.

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

Just to let everybody know, I am seeing the same thing on my Quad.

I'm still learning/tweeking this whole PID thing, but I have to steer my yaw around like driving a bus, while the roll and pitch are more sensitive than an RC plane from my past flying days.

It takes large, if not almost full yaw input to produce any significant actual turn rate.

I have not changed the yaw PID's, but per this article, I'll increase my yaw rate, and try it.

doppler

Post by doppler »

I agree Yaw and Multiwii on Quadcopters is definitely not the same experience as other boards. I've struggled with Yaw hold, rate, and Yaw hop, hold and rate I've improved on, read this thread on custom motor mixing I did;

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3490

This simply makes Yaw higher priority on the motors... problem with this is Yaw hop is high, Haven't worked that out yet. The above doesn't take care of the yaw drift where it should be (IMHO, I'm no coder and tried but gave up quickly trying to understand the multiwii code) which is the code to correct YAW based on the PID.

Another fix, which I did on my MQX as well is to set yaw expo to -60 low rates and -80 high rates on my Spektrum DX6i.

Andrew

Phil S.

Post by Phil S. »

Tadaa! The solution: Klick!

Install, maybe read the rest of the thread, and get the best flying MultiWii ever, perfect yaw rates included!