Multiwii 2.2 - GPS hold

jrt4fun

Multiwii 2.2 - GPS hold

Post by jrt4fun »

Hi,

Today I've been able to test the new 2.2 pre, now the weather gets better here.
Quad is equiped with Crius SE, I²C card for GPS and Ublox.
The quad flies very stable in angle, horizon and alt hold.

I do have a question regarding the Poshold.
When I set it with the nose in the wind: no issue, holds position like a charm.
However when I set is sideways into the wind (wind is perpendicular on the quad) ans switch to poshold, it drifts off and doesn't seem to correct.
Even worse, its just wandering off.

Anyone had similar experience?
Any thoughts on how to correct this behaviour?

Thank you. :?:

teslahed

Re: Multiwii 2.2 - GPS hold

Post by teslahed »

I also have the u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0 and crius all in one pro (v1). I've been trying to get GPS position hold and return to home working all day. I can see satellites fine in the GUI - about 7 or 8 on my windowsill which is good - but i can't get my quadcopter to hold position. When i tried return to home last it flew away from me! I have the magnetometer calibrated.

I will be having another go tomorrow, hopefully.

Code: Select all

/**************************************************************************************/
  /***********************                  GPS                **************************/
  /**************************************************************************************/

/* GPS using a SERIAL port
       if enabled, define here the Arduino Serial port number and the UART speed
       note: only the RX PIN is used in case of NMEA mode, the GPS is not configured by multiwii
       in NMEA mode the GPS must be configured to output GGA and RMC NMEA sentences (which is generally the default conf for most GPS devices)
       at least 5Hz update rate. uncomment the first line to select the GPS serial port of the arduino */
    #define GPS_SERIAL 3 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   57600
    //#define GPS_BAUD   115200

/* GPS protocol
       NMEA  - Standard NMEA protocol GGA, GSA and RMC  sentences are needed
       UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree
       MTK_BINARY16 and MTK_BINARY19 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.6 or v1.9)
       With UBLOX and MTK_BINARY you don't have to use GPS_FILTERING in multiwii code !!! */

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
    //#define MTK_BINARY16
    //#define MTK_BINARY19
    //#define INIT_MTK_GPS        // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence or binary settings

//#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL    57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots

/* I2C GPS device made with an independant arduino + GPS device
       including some navigation functions
       contribution from EOSBandi   http://code.google.com/p/i2c-gps-nav/
       You have to use at least I2CGpsNav code r33 */
    //#define I2C_GPS

/* I2C GPS device made with an indeedent ATTiny[24]313 + GPS device and
       optional sonar device.    https://github.com/wertarbyte/tiny-gps/ */
    /* get GPS data from Tiny-GPS */
    //#define TINY_GPS
    /* get sonar data from Tiny-GPS */
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

/* GPS data readed from Misio-OSD - GPS module connected to OSD, and MultiWii read GPS data from OSD - tested and working OK ! */
    //#define GPS_FROM_OSD

/* indicate a valid GPS fix with at least 5 satellites by flashing the LED  - Modified by MIS - Using stable LED (YELLOW on CRIUS AIO) led work as sat number indicator
      - No GPS FIX -> LED blink at speed of incoming GPS frames
      - Fix and sat no. bellow 5 -> LED off
      - Fix and sat no. >= 5 -> LED blinks, one blink for 5 sat, two blinks for 6 sat, three for 7 ... */
    #define GPS_LED_INDICATOR

//#define USE_MSP_WP                        //Enables the MSP_WP command, which is used by WinGUI to display and log Home and Poshold positions

//#define DONT_RESET_HOME_AT_ARM             // HOME position is reset at every arm, uncomment it to prohibit it (you can set home position with GyroCalibration)

/* GPS navigation can control the heading */

#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING       true      // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it
    #define NAV_TAIL_FIRST             false     // true - copter comes in with tail first
    #define NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING    true      // true - when copter arrives to home position it rotates it's head to takeoff direction

/* Get your magnetic decliniation from here : http://magnetic-declination.com/
       Convert the degree+minutes into decimal degree by ==> degree+minutes*(1/60)
       Note the sign on declination it could be negative or positive (WEST or EAST) */
    //#define MAG_DECLINIATION  3.96f              //For Budapest Hungary.
    #define MAG_DECLINIATION  0.0f

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER                      // Adds a forward predictive filterig to compensate gps lag. Code based on Jason Short's lead filter implementation

//#define GPS_FILTERING                        // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency comment out to disable
    #define GPS_WP_RADIUS              200       // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)
    #define NAV_SLEW_RATE              30        // Adds a rate control to nav output, will smoothen out nav angle spikes

scrat

Post by scrat »

teslahed wrote:I also have the u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0 and crius all in one pro (v1). I've been trying to get GPS position hold and return to home working all day. I can see satellites fine in the GUI - about 7 or 8 on my windowsill which is good - but i can't get my quadcopter to hold position. When i tried return to home last it flew away from me! I have the magnetometer calibrated.

I will be having another go tomorrow, hopefully.

/***********************                  GPS                **************************/

note: only the RX PIN is used in case of NMEA mode, the GPS is not configured by multiwii
       in NMEA mode the GPS must be configured to output GGA and RMC NMEA sentences (which is generally the default conf for most GPS devices)
       at least 5Hz update rate. uncomment the first line to select the GPS serial port of the arduino */
    #define GPS_SERIAL 3 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    #define GPS_BAUD   57600
    //#define GPS_BAUD   115200

/* GPS protocol
       UBLOX - U-Blox binary protocol, use the ublox config file (u-blox-config.ublox.txt) from the source tree
       MTK_BINARY16 and MTK_BINARY19 - MTK3329 chipset based GPS with DIYDrones binary firmware (v1.6 or v1.9)
       With UBLOX and MTK_BINARY you don't have to use GPS_FILTERING in multiwii code !!! */

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
    //#define MTK_BINARY16
    //#define MTK_BINARY19
    //#define INIT_MTK_GPS        // initialize MTK GPS for using selected speed, 5Hz update rate and GGA & RMC sentence or binary settings

//#define GPS_PROMINI_SERIAL    57600 // Will Autosense if GPS is connected when ardu boots

//#define I2C_GPS

//#define TINY_GPS
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

/* GPS data readed from Misio-OSD - GPS module connected to OSD, and MultiWii read GPS data from OSD - tested and working OK ! */
    //#define GPS_FROM_OSD

/* indicate a valid GPS fix with at least 5 satellites by flashing the LED  - Modified by MIS - Using stable LED (YELLOW on CRIUS AIO) led work as sat number indicator
      - Fix and sat no. >= 5 -> LED blinks, one blink for 5 sat, two blinks for 6 sat, three for 7 ... */

//#define USE_MSP_WP                        //Enables the MSP_WP command, which is used by WinGUI to display and log Home and Poshold positions

//#define DONT_RESET_HOME_AT_ARM             // HOME position is reset at every arm, uncomment it to prohibit it (you can set home position with GyroCalibration)

#define NAV_CONTROLS_HEADING       true      // copter faces toward the navigation point, maghold must be enabled for it
    #define NAV_TAIL_FIRST             false     // true - copter comes in with tail first
    #define NAV_SET_TAKEOFF_HEADING    true      // true - when copter arrives to home position it rotates it's head to takeoff direction

#define MAG_DECLINIATION  0.0f

#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER                      // Adds a forward predictive filterig to compensate gps lag. Code based on Jason Short's lead filter implementation

//#define GPS_FILTERING                        // add a 5 element moving average filter to GPS coordinates, helps eliminate gps noise but adds latency comment out to disable
    #define GPS_WP_RADIUS              200       // if we are within this distance to a waypoint then we consider it reached (distance is in cm)
    #define NAV_SLEW_RATE              30        // Adds a rate control to nav output, will smoothen out nav angle spikes

Why you didn't set #define MAG_DECLINIATION 0.0f?

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I am not sure i understand you correctly. I did set '#define MAG_DECLINIATION 0.0f' - that's exactly how it appears in the code i copied and pasted from above.

scrat

Post by scrat »

teslahed wrote:I am not sure i understand you correctly. I did set '#define MAG_DECLINIATION 0.0f' - that's exactly how it appears in the code i copied and pasted from above.

You must calculate magnetic declination for your country/town.

in config.h this is example for Budapest-Hungary: //#define MAG_DECLINIATION 3.96f //For Budapest Hungary.

First check here for magnetic declination: http://magnetic-declination.com/

Then calculate here: http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-s ... ulator.htm

and set here #define MAG_DECLINIATION 0.0f and upload to FC.

I hope you understand me now ;)

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

That helps a lot - thank you.

my magnetic declination is -2 degrees 39' (and i use 0 for seconds, i presume, as the map doesn't give that much detail).

Which gives me a decimal value of -2.65

So i presume i input that as;

#define MAG_DECLINIATION  -2.65f

?

Just want to make sure I've done my conversions, units (and signs) properly. Thanks!

scrat

Post by scrat »

teslahed wrote:That helps a lot - thank you.

my magnetic declination is -2 degrees 39' (and i use 0 for seconds, i presume, as the map doesn't give that much detail).

Which gives me a decimal value of -2.65

So i presume i input that as;

#define MAG_DECLINIATION  -2.65f

?

Just want to make sure I've done my conversions, units (and signs) properly. Thanks!

Yes. This is ok. And please note that magnetic declination changes over the year. So check once on 3 months and then change this in code. Then you must load new compiled hex to FC.
Last edited by scrat on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Post by scrat »

Just another question. Which FC do you have? Because I see you've set:

#define GPS_SERIAL 3 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA - I have set here GPS_SERIAL 2 on Crius AIO Pro
#define GPS_BAUD 57600
//#define GPS_BAUD 115200 - and this is my settings for baud rate.

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I'm using a crius all in one pro V1 (broken USB port, using an FTDI).

The cable i have for the GPS isn't long enough to cover all 3 serial ports - it just covers 1 (which is numbered 3) so i have adjusted the code accordingly.

I assume the crius is fine with using any of the 3 serial ports for GPS, as long as you pick the correct one and tell it what you did in the code? If i'm wrong in this i will have to order myself a new cable for the crius and wait until that arrives and try again...

I have put the baudrate back up to 115200. I tried 57600 briefly because the option was there - just to see if it would help.

Thanks for you advice!

afonsos

Post by afonsos »

Hi guys my PH isnt working as it should,large circles around hold position seems quad is all over the place :D
RTH navigates to home position but once arrives its all over the place again.
I have Crius AIOP v1.1 and ublox CN-06 my config.h is as follows

#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA
    //#define GPS_BAUD   57600
    #define GPS_BAUD   115200

/* GPS protocol

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
    //#define MTK_BINARY16
    //#define MTK_BINARY19

//#define I2C_GPS

//#define TINY_GPS
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

//#define GPS_FROM_OSD

#define MAG_DECLINIATION  -1.05f

Any hints on fine tunning pids or anything I should un/comment on config.h
Thanks in advance

alexia

Post by alexia »

afonsos wrote:Hi guys my PH isnt working as it should,large circles around hold position seems quad is all over the place :D

#define GPS_SERIAL 2 // should be 2 for flyduino v2. It's the serial port number on arduino MEGA

/* GPS protocol

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
    //#define MTK_BINARY16
    //#define MTK_BINARY19

//#define I2C_GPS

//#define TINY_GPS
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

//#define GPS_FROM_OSD

Thanks in advance

same hardware like you..i hope someone could help us :oops:

scrat

Post by scrat »

alexia wrote:
afonsos wrote:Hi guys my PH isnt working as it should,large circles around hold position seems quad is all over the place :D

/* GPS protocol

//#define NMEA
    #define UBLOX
    //#define MTK_BINARY16
    //#define MTK_BINARY19

//#define I2C_GPS

//#define TINY_GPS
    //#define TINY_GPS_SONAR

//#define GPS_FROM_OSD

Thanks in advance

same hardware like you..i hope someone could help us :oops:

I was having the same problem when #define GPS_LEAD_FILTER was enabled. But now with MWii 2.2. I commented //#define GPS_LEAD_FILTER and now works better for me.

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

same issue here even after disabling GPS_LEAD_FILTER

i'm using quadrino board ms
i2c gps (flytron v2) 8 satellites were locked
800kva 10"props , 30amp esc

i started to increased the PosR D 0.2 at a time but didn't help
increased PosR P 0.2 at a time but didn't also.

any suggestions / thanks

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

Have you checked the MAG?
1 - Is it calibrated
2 - Does the MAG arrow points in the same direction at any throttle applied? (Armed With Props on, hold it down by hand)
3 - check the "2" for E, W, S, N.

p25o1

Post by p25o1 »

KasparsL wrote:Have you checked the MAG?
1 - Is it calibrated
2 - Does the MAG arrow points in the same direction at any throttle applied? (Armed With Props on, hold it down by hand)
3 - check the "2" for E, W, S, N.

thanks for the help,,

i did the mag calibration, but as you suggested

i started the motors and view of multiwiiconf screen. (using BT)

the white compass arrow will be stable , but the yellow arrow jumps from north when i throttle up.

your comment plz :-)

KasparsL

Post by KasparsL »

p25o1 wrote:
thanks for the help,,

i did the mag calibration, but as you suggested

i started the motors and view of multiwiiconf screen. (using BT)

the white compass arrow will be stable , but the yellow arrow jumps from north when i throttle up.

your comment plz :-)

If the arrow is jumping, when changing the throttle, it means that MAG is affected by magnetic fields from power cables. Try to move cables as far as possible away from mag and keep them together.

Another option is to relocate the MAG away.

lakis21

Post by lakis21 »

Hello,
did anyone with Crius AIOP v1.1 and ublox CN-06 has success with pos hold?
the GPS_LEAD_FILTER should be enable or disable?

What else except GPS_HOLD, MAG , BARO should I have enable to have POS HOLD?

Thanks in advance to everyone. :)

afonsos

Post by afonsos »

I've tried enable and disable but its the same,my position hold is far from accurate.
Lets see if someone else has any hints

scrat

Post by scrat »

lakis21 wrote:Hello,

I have Aio Pro v1.1. and gps from rctimer cn-06 v2. I get POS HOLD in from 50cm to 100cm radius(stock PID's for GPS). Depends of wind. I have enabled GPS PS HOLD, MAG, BARO and ANGLE.

AndrejLV

Post by AndrejLV »

Nice work Scrat!

I have the same configuration but result still far from perfect. I installed it on quadro and octo .. sometimes it can hold 3x3m, but mostly drift +-20-30m.
Could you please post settings? Batt 3s or 4s? other PIDs? Conf section of GPS ? Motors and ESC ?
Pictures?

lakis21

Post by lakis21 »

scrat wrote:
lakis21 wrote:Hello,

I have Aio Pro v1.1. and gps from rctimer cn-06 v2. I get POS HOLD in from 50cm to 100cm radius(stock PID's for GPS). Depends of wind. I have enabled GPS PS HOLD, MAG, BARO and ANGLE.

Thanks for reply! I really appreciated!
what about GPS_LEAD_FILTER should be enable or disable?

scrat

Post by scrat »

I have LEAD FILTER disabled.

felixrising

Post by felixrising »

I've been playing with Pos Hold and RTH recently too. I have a Crius AIOP V1.1 and a V2 + CN-06 Ublox Neo-6m. I find that after initially enabling PH, it tends to drift off (today was windy) before correcting and finally settling. Often it will drift downwind about 5-10m before overshooting the mark and finally settling down. This may just be a parameter tuning thing. I have Lead Filter enabled, but from memory it was a bit less prone to overshoot with it disabled which doesn't really make any sense to me.

scrat

Post by scrat »

AndrejLV wrote:Nice work Scrat!

I have the same configuration but result still far from perfect. I installed it on quadro and octo .. sometimes it can hold 3x3m, but mostly drift +-20-30m.
Could you please post settings? Batt 3s or 4s? other PIDs? Conf section of GPS ? Motors and ESC ?
Pictures?

Batt 3S, PID's - stock for POS HOLD. ESC's HK F30A - simonk and motors are suppo clone 1000Kv. Props 9x4.5 from flyduino.

lakis21

Post by lakis21 »

scrat wrote:I have LEAD FILTER disabled.

Thank you!!!

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi all,

Scrat you were havig the same issue as all of us in your initial post, so can you help us out and describe how you fixed the issue ?

My hexa (CRIUS AIOP + UBLOXV2) is also drifting in yaw once I speed up the motors, however I´d say it´s only approximately 5 degrees....

1. How should I move away the mag sensor... it´s on the FC, the only possibility I have is to move it a little higher... Its already about 3 cm
above the centerplate.. My ESCs are sitting in between of the centerplates.. Would a metal plate below the FC probably help to screen the FC
from the electromagnetic radiation ?

2. The navigation to the desired home position works like a charm.. Does this tell me the mag can´t be too bad ? If I activate follow me, and move
it stays very precise and does not start to get off. The problem only occurs once a waypoint was reached and the copter tries to hold position. Then it
just drifts away and starts circeling around the home position.... Sometimes it´s getting really bad ( about 20 meter diameter ). I use my tablet and
enzio app to monitor the copters position. The gps always shows the copters position very precisely... So this tells me that it is not the gps beeing not
accurate enough...

3. So might it be the PID for Position Hold ? Can somebody tell me which of the PID´s is taking over once a destination was reached ( Within 2m diameter ) ?
I already read osbandis little description, but I dont get the difference between the POSHold PI and the POSRate PID ? Which one takes care of what ?

I hope we can get it fixed ;-)

Sebastian

Electro 2

Post by Electro 2 »

"So might it be the PID for Position Hold ?"
Yes, tis.

"Can somebody tell me which of the PID´s is taking over once a destination was reached ( Within 2m diameter ) ?"
Hold, as above.

"I dont get the difference between the POSHold PI and the POSRate PID ?"
Rate is traveling to the point, hold is "stick" once you're there.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi Electro,

thanks for your help ! But if PosR is responsible for reaching a waypoint,
what is NavR for then ?

EOSBandi

Multiwii 2.2 - GPS hold

Post by EOSBandi »

read this
http://i2c-gps-nav.googlecode.com/files ... tation.pdf

it is still valid in terms of pid tuning and description

Electro 2

Post by Electro 2 »

Mopedcrosser:
The Grand Master has spoken, zero need for me to try and second guess this. And, by the way, a tip 'o the hat to him and all the other coders that work so hard to make this stuff what it is!

teslahed

Post by teslahed »

I've managed to get GPS working with Multiwii 2.2 quite well now.

What made the difference for me was raising the flight controller up by using longer nylon standoffs. I have a power distribution board mounted under the flight controller and it must have been causing the magnetometer problems. I had already added ferrite rings to all the relevant wires and routed the ESC cables as far away from everything else as possible - but it was the power distribution board that did it.

Fitting a bluetooth adapter so that i could calibrate my magnetometer outside also helped.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

so it was only the power distribution ? Did you still disable the gps lead filter, or did the more space solve all problems ?
I am not sure about this in my hexa.. theres plenty of space in between power distibution and FC. I probably try to put a metal
plate underneath the FC..

Sebastian

scrat

Post by scrat »

mopedcrosser wrote:Hi,

so it was only the power distribution ? Did you still disable the gps lead filter, or did the more space solve all problems ?
I am not sure about this in my hexa.. theres plenty of space in between power distibution and FC. I probably try to put a metal
plate underneath the FC..

Sebastian

I have again uncommented #define GPS_LEAD_FILTER and I have played with PID's and quad flyes much better in GPS POS HOLD. So lead filter is helping in my case.

BarneyG

Post by BarneyG »

teslahed wrote:I've managed to get GPS working with Multiwii 2.2 quite well now.

What made the difference for me was raising the flight controller up by using longer nylon standoffs. I have a power distribution board mounted under the flight controller and it must have been causing the magnetometer problems. I had already added ferrite rings to all the relevant wires and routed the ESC cables as far away from everything else as possible - but it was the power distribution board that did it.

Fitting a bluetooth adapter so that i could calibrate my magnetometer outside also helped.

How much separation do you have now ?

I've recently got my quad - (450 clone with Crius Pro v2 board and a UBlox GPS) Initially I was using MegapirateNG, hadn't tried GPS hold etc but decided to give MultiWii 2.2 a try ... I think I like the way MultiWii flies better but I also changed the props from 10 inch to 9 inch so I'm not sure if the difference is the OS or the props.

Anyway I did try GPS Hold and RTH on MultiWii and mine too was wandering off in a straight line in a random direction at about walking pace when I turned them on. I tried upping the P's but that didn't make any difference ... though I saw a Youtube clip with someone stating they were using 0.4 ... the default was 2.0 so not sure about that.

I tried seeing if my compass deviated when the motors were running and low and behold it was, I've tried putting twists in the ESC power cables and that didn't help :) so Now I need to seperate the Power distribution board and the FC some more ... not sure how that is going to be possible there isn't any more room between the top and bottom plates

scrat

Post by scrat »

I think I've found a solution for my GPS POS HOLD.

I'm using now three web pages for MAG Declination settings.

First: http://magnetic-declination.com/ - From this page I use LAT and LON

Second: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/geomag-web/ - On this page I set on teh right side my country and city and push get location. Then on the left side I paste LAT and LON info from the first page and click Calculate.

Third: http://www.satsig.net/degrees-minutes-s ... ulator.htm - on this page I calcucalte mag decli and it is better al least for me.

defkom

Post by defkom »

scrat wrote:
I have again uncommented #define GPS_LEAD_FILTER and I have played with PID's and quad flyes much better in GPS POS HOLD. So lead filter is helping in my case.

Hi scrat,
can you tell me, how tight your GPS hold works?

The best I get out of my setup (Y6, CRIUS AIOP V1, SimonK, u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0, MW2.2) is a circle with a diameter of 2-3m in calm conditions.
The dudes from the youtube video that is supplied in the MW2.2 Changelog get something like 0,5-1m
I asked the guy what he did and he stated, that "all is default", on his other frame, he had the circling as well, once he changed frame geometry, everything worked out well.

You said "I have played with PIDs", can you tell me your method, e.g. Raise PosR P until xyz happens, then raise PosI until abc happens.
I just do not get the trick behind tuning PIDs (I read EOSBandis' Instructions, seems I am to stupid for this...)

Even more questions:
.Did you fly your copter in gusty conditions as well?
.Did it hold Position in as good as in calm conditions?

Thanks in advance and Cheers

scrat

Post by scrat »

defkom wrote:
scrat wrote:

Hi scrat,
can you tell me, how tight your GPS hold works?

The best I get out of my setup (Y6, CRIUS AIOP V1, SimonK, u-Blox CN-06 GPS Receiver V2.0, MW2.2) is a circle with a diameter of 2-3m in calm conditions.
The dudes from the youtube video that is supplied in the MW2.2 Changelog get something like 0,5-1m
I asked the guy what he did and he stated, that "all is default", on his other frame, he had the circling as well, once he changed frame geometry, everything worked out well.

You said "I have played with PIDs", can you tell me your method, e.g. Raise PosR P until xyz happens, then raise PosI until abc happens.
I just do not get the trick behind tuning PIDs (I read EOSBandis' Instructions, seems I am to stupid for this...)

Even more questions:
.Did you fly your copter in gusty conditions as well?
.Did it hold Position in as good as in calm conditions?

Thanks in advance and Cheers

In cal conditions I get max 1m diameter. I didn't flew in gusty winds yet.

I have raised P for POSH from 0.11 to 0.20 and on PosR P to 2.9 and D to 55.

defkom

Post by defkom »

Hi scrat,
can you post a screenshotof your MWGUI Settings.
I am a little bit confused about the D Values, in my setup the defaults for these are 0,0045, it might be wrong in my setup....
cheers
defkom

scrat

Post by scrat »

defkom wrote:Hi scrat,
can you post a screenshotof your MWGUI Settings.
I am a little bit confused about the D Values, in my setup the defaults for these are 0,0045, it might be wrong in my setup....
cheers
defkom

Sorry...D is 0.0055

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi all,

I think the key to solve this issue is to get rid of all interference from power lines. I am trying for a while now and ended up
ordering Mu Metal foil to screen the FC from the magnetic field of the power lines. The only concern I have is that I screen
the earth mag field as well, but I´ll try to get it only in between of cables and FC. I already have about 5cm of space in between of
the power distribution and the mag is still affected pretty bad. In Idle the compass doesn´t move, but as soon as I speed up to take
of the deviation is about 10° and increases with throttle. So you all should check that using the GUI and BT. If there is a deviation
caused by the mag field, a correct (fine) positioning is almost impossible.

1. Everytime the copter drifts off (lets assume north) the copter will try to correct the pos to the opposite direction (in this case south).
But if the mag doesn´t tell the copter the exact direction it will corret in the same direction. This explains in my opinion the wandering
around the correct position. As soon as the deviation gets too large the pos can be corrected approximately using the gps. This explains
why we see circeling in a 10 - 20 m radius.

2. Setting the correct mag declination wont help in this case, since the interference from the power lines is much greater. It will always be off.

3. If there is a deviation in the compass it sounds plausible to me that uncommenting the lead filter improves the situation, since the copter wont
use predicted values (that cant be achieved due to the inaccurate mag) and uses the actual gps position which should be pretty much correct.

Tell me what you think... I´ll let you know if my theory was correct IF I can make it to ged rid of the mag deviation. My escs are all in the centerplate
and there are tons of wires..

Seb

linuxslate

Post by linuxslate »

I have the same problem - Throttle affects the compass.

My battery wires go right past the board. Above the board are the motor wires.

The motor wires are tied off away from the board as much as possible, but in my current configuration, there is not really much I can do about the battery wires being close to the board.

There is bound to be some magnetic effects. These are small vehicles, and high currents. GC constraints tend to force the board and the battery to be close together.

I may try sliding some grounded, braided shield over the battery wires.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

I was sucessfully trying a can (needs to be made from iron) which was screenig all the radiation. Unfortunately I was not allowed ;-) to cut pieces of to put them underneath the FC, so I was putting the entire can over the FC. The magnetic fields were completely eliminated, however the earth magnetic field was screened of as well. So I am waiting for my mu metal screen.

Seb

bulesz

Post by bulesz »

Heyho,

Interesting topic, I'm still testing my GPS (NEO-6M).

After calibrated the MAG, I have noticed if I give full throttle the MAG angle changed with around 5", like with zero throttle was 194" with max throttle was 199".
Is this between the "normal" limits? or should I seek something iron in the garden/kitchen as shield?

Many thanks,
B

Peter

Post by Peter »

You could try to use a separate compass sensor placed as far as possible from interference.

zwiebacksaege

Post by zwiebacksaege »

Hi guys... same issue for me. I'm using a MEGA board with Sensor plate right on top of the ditributor-plate (maybe 3cm space).
During the last days I had some problems with PH and wanted to check my MAG behaviour during flight. Through my minimOSD I can now observe that the MAG error is about 5-10° when giving big throttle boosts out of hoving state. I think this must be ok for PH because I calculated roughly:

For heading error of 10° the FC is doing the following mistake when trying to correct the position:
cos(10°)=0.985 = -1.5% in the direction he actually wants to correct he is doing 1.5% too less
sin(10°)=0.173 = 17.3% he is doing a unwanted sideways dift of 17% while trying to correct in the wanted direction.

So for example the copter drifts 1m north and FC wants to correct with going 1m south it will actually go 98.5cm south and 17cm east or west.

I think I can live with this as it's still far less than the GPS noise ... isn't it?

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

I had a ~10 degree deviation in hovering state which was causing the copter to circle in a 10-20m diameter around the original position. Navigation to waypoints or home position
worked flawless and very accurate. I got the issue solved in the meantime by ripping my entire hexacopter apart. I renewed the entire power distribution and esc wiring and tied all
+ wires to the matching - wires. That worked stunningly good. You can test your results by pushing the copter to the ground and then accelerate up to max speed. You will see if the
compass changes or not. Before I renewed my wiring I had almost 360 degrees at full throttle. I also attached a mumetall screen in to of the power distribution board which is sitting
approx. 5 cm below my Crius aiop. Good luck ;-) !

Best regards

Sebastian

zwiebacksaege

Post by zwiebacksaege »

so I got this 10° at full throttle boosts.. .this makes a big difference!
It's nothing special that your copter circles wide around if you're getting complete heading mess at full throttle.
meanwhile I tweaked my powerdistribution by hiding all the ESC feeding cables inside my frame-profiles.
but the idea of having a magnetic screen below the FC is also in my mind. which material do i have to take? passive magnetic or just electric conductive?

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

just look on ebay for mumetall or permalloy. There is one guy offering 10x10x0,1 pieces on ebay.de. Should be about 3€ and helps pretty good.
Before I renewed my wiring I was putting one piece right underneath my FC which was already solving the problem. I decided to make it perfect
afterwards and ripped the entire thing apart to solve the original problem.

Sebastian

zwiebacksaege

Post by zwiebacksaege »

thanks.. I will try.
but I also considered those thin metal sheets you can find at every (old) HDD for magnetic isolation. since they are for free and I got plenty of old HDDs I will give them a try too.

mopedcrosser

Post by mopedcrosser »

Hi,

that should be the exact same stuff ;-). Give it a try.