PID tuning, YAW

carter

PID tuning, YAW

Post by carter »

Hi guys,

me again. :D another problem bothering me. I mostly fly my quad-X in STABLE mode. during small *adjustments* in YAW, the quad holds its altitude fine but when doing large *adjustments*, quad drops its altitude, so again I throttle UP to compensate. So instead of randomly replacing values in the PID settings(coupled to being unfamiliar also), I'd better ask it here instead.

I don't know if this is a normal behaviour in STABLE mode?

anyways, here is the screenshot of my current PID settings.

should I be playing with the YAW PID settings or YAW RATE? or anything else I don't know of?

thanks

p25o1

Re: PID tuning, YAW

Post by p25o1 »

i'm having the same issue ,

i kept increasing the P for the yaw to solve it , but not sure if this is the best approach, since i started losing altitude when pitching or rolling :-(

any advice on this issue.

jmellipse

Post by jmellipse »

I just started building a quad after flying airplanes for many years. Yesterday was my first flight and I also noticed altitude drop in direction changes.
I thought about solving this in the transmitter with a mixer.

bill516

Post by bill516 »

Not come across this myself as I dont use large inputs but I would think it is normal as we dont have any airfoil sections to give us any lift only what we get from the motors. As thrust is always down the Z axis we are balancing on a cushion of air but when we tilt in whatever direction the Z axis moves so instead of pointing straight down its now tilted so supplying less lift. Well thats my theory and I'm sticking to it, and the one about Dinosaurs.

carter

Post by carter »

just found the answer to THIS QUESTION:

after crashing my quad (very strange behaviour, and I thought the V2 dev was already stable in STABLE mode.....after a few seconds of "rolling", maybe 5 degrees??? it just went "un"controllable <tried counter-roll to no avail>, and behold, CRASH)

my previous blades where 10x4.5 when it crashed. I had carried some 8x4.5 , and tried it on..and THIS fixed the yaw problem, just remember though, you will need more throttle control using 8x4.5 cuz 10x4.5 has just more air 'flow'

bottom line, TRY using smaller props if this changes anything