can multiwii fly like a DJI?

izeman

Post by izeman »

sorry for this maybe strange questions to those with experience. i'm a noob (thanks nechaus ;), and have built my own 450 quad with 1100kv motors and 10" props, 30a afro escs and an CRIUS AIO fc.
flying is quite difficult to me and new of course and tuning pids is even harder for me. i watched all videos on youtube i could find and read all how-tos.
i lately saw a DJI fly and it was rock stable in the air. most of the time it was even not noticed as i was like it was nailed in the sky. i know those copters are made for camera flights mainly.
but: is it possible to tune pids on multiwii so my home built copter flies like a DJI?

kilby

Post by kilby »

I know it can be done with an APM and therefore a Crius with Megapirate should be able to get pretty close

izeman

Post by izeman »

I'll try that. :) And if megapirateng does better I maybe know how to better tune multiwii to fit my needs.

nechaus

Re: can multiwii fly like a DJI?

Post by nechaus »

if your gps hold is working good, you can dynamically update the gps hold position by enabling AP FLIGHTMODE
But this is only another way of using gps hold..

But what you speak of can be done with ardupilot.. I have used hex's on loiter mode/gps hold, and it holds the position incredibly well, from it being say 2 or 3 meters off the ground it was hard to notice it actually move around, it looked dead still just hovering.. Normally expecting it do drift some what, this thing was awesome, so precise, just as good as dji naza)

So i say if you are feeling adventurous, try megapirateng.. seems more time consuming compared to the genuine software.
Otherwise you could try a ardupilot AIO KIT with telemetry radio ect.. get a new gps with separate mag to the main board
You will have less mucking around with PID's with megapirateng/ardupilot, plenty of types of multirotors to pick from as well.

Or if you wanted to spend a bit more money and muck around less, why not give a naza FC a go? you can just swap it out and plug the new in.

kilby

Post by kilby »

I would tend to agree with nechaus as APM boards are cheap these days, you could spend ages and only get mediocre results.

My 450 with apm is perfectly happy to sit in one spot when on loiter mode and only moves a few inches (and that's usually because of windy conditions)

izeman

Re: can multiwii fly like a DJI?

Post by izeman »

i did a quick setup with megapirateng yesterday and did a quick test flight. don't know why but forward and reverse were swapped which made flying almost impossible for my small brain :)
i tested LOITER as well (working GPS and calibrated mag) which costed my 2 propellers as the quad flew directly into a stone wall :?
i will need to do some more testing with day light as it was already dark which didn't make things easier, and i will need an open field.
from those less than a minute flight experience i would not say that the quad was easier to handle and more stable as with multiwii. but this was with standard untuned settings. regardings settings and things to tune i must say that i find ardupilot even more complex than multiwii. options in mission planer are unnumbered. but maybe it only looks like that for a noob.