How to connect Turnigy 9xr pro to multiwii through PPM

Ciki

How to connect Turnigy 9xr pro to multiwii through PPM

Post by Ciki »

Hi guys!
In this guide, I want to show you how Turnigy 9XR Pro transmitter with DJT module and D8R-II Plus receiver connected on Crius AIOP v2 or Crius Se v2.5 works with Multiwii 2.4. I wrote this because i haven't found a complete guide on this argument.This radio and receiver can be
setted for PPM output in order to manage 8ch just with one cable. I also tried to connect it to the FC as a standard rx with no results .

First of all it's necessary to flash the receiver with XP FRSKY firmware in order to enable PPM and change the lenght of signal from 18ms to 27 ms in order to have more stability when all channels
has to be used for flight modes, gimbal,etc..(but i don't use more than 5 ch, :) ).
It's necessary to have an RS232 FTDI for flashing the rx and a this link : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQJ29dAt5E

you find the procedure (very simple!!!). Please read the information under the video in order to understand the connection between ftdi and rx.

After flashing the receiver and inverted again tx and rx of FTDI with FT_progr (otherwise the ftdi connected to Crius Se v2.5 will not be able to see the signals in MultiwiiConf), put the jumper between signal channel 3-4 in order to enable PPM on channel 1. In this way we have:

1) ch1 for PPM
2) ch2 for RSSI
3) ch3 jumper
4) ch4 jumper
5-8) ch5 to ch8 as normal channel for servos (not tested)

In Multiwii config.h go to special receiver types and uncomment one of these four lines (it depends from the radio, for the 9XR Pro the first line works and i've already uncommented)

/**************************** PPM Sum Reciver ***********************************/
/* The following lines apply only for specific receiver with only one PPM sum signal, on digital PIN 2
Select the right line depending on your radio brand. Feel free to modify the order in your PPM order is different */
#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM PITCH,YAW,THROTTLE,ROLL,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11 //For Graupner/Spektrum
//#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM ROLL,PITCH,THROTTLE,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11 //For Robe/Hitec/Futaba
//#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM ROLL,PITCH,YAW,THROTTLE,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11 //For Multiplex
//#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM PITCH,ROLL,THROTTLE,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11 //For some Hitec/Sanwa/Others

If you have crius SE v2.5 uncomment this line is enough and you have to put signal from ch1 of the rx to pin D2 of the board. You MUST also connect the + and - pin of the receiver ch1
to one + and one - pin of multiwii (i also used an external power source and receiver didn't work).

If you have the Crius AIOP v2, you also have to uncomment the following line as shown:

#define PPM_ON_THROTTLE

and connect the signal from ch1 of the rx to pin A8 (or 8, it is the throttle pin of FC) of the board. I also tried the PPM pin on AIOP v2 but it didn't work. You MUST also connect the + and - pin of the receiver ch1
to one + and one - pin of board (i used + and - near pin 8).
After that compile and upload to the FC.

Go now to the mixer page of the 9XR Pro and assign this channels:

CH1 ppm1
+ 100 THR (with insert choiche)

CH2 100 AIL
CH3 100 ELE
CH4 100 RUD
This configuration of radio from CH2 to CH4 can be differtent and it depends from Mode used but assign AIL, ELE, RUD to channels and see what happens in MultiwiiConf. If something isn't correct between stick and signals, change the order in the mixer page (leave only ch1 as shown).
If you want add other channels (p1,p2,p3,ID0,ID1,ID2) insert them in the relative CH of mixer page of 9xr pro (eg. CH5 100 P1 for using pot 1 as aux 1) and you should see the relative movement of the command.
Thats all!!

Let me know if there are problems or comments.
Bye