New pilot making sure I got it all correct

Echosyp

New pilot making sure I got it all correct

Post by Echosyp »

Had one of those deals that was impossible to let pass by so I jumped and bought it before it did pass by.

Short story, got like $500+ worth of RC stuff for $200. One of the things was a xRotor Spider Quad with a MultiWii Pro 2.0 board on it. Was told it would probably need tuning to get it perfect so I figured I better start learning fast as everything will be here tomorrow.

So if I understand this correctly, I'll need to plug in my board to my comp and run Arduino to tune it. Will I be able to get the current firmware off the board to tune it? or will I need to download a new firmware and set that up correctly then flash it to the board? It's most likely going to be an older version already on the board so I guess I might as well update it to something newer.

Also seen something about the MultiWii GUI, since this is all new to me at the moment it gets overwhelming fast, I am a C++ programmer so the basic concept of how to uncomment the stuff I need to make everything work is easy as pie.

LutzB

Re: New pilot making sure I got it all correct

Post by LutzB »

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest to connect the flight controller to your pc and run multiwiiconf first. Then you can see which version is running and if there are any special things configured. At first there is no need to directly flash the latest multiwii version.
Get your TX channel ranges set up (1000 to 2000µs with 1500µs center value) and check if the RC is connected correct. If you want a non standard (PWM) connection for your RX (PPM, S.Bus) you will need to flash the controller anyway. But then you will need to know everything about your quad as you cannot see how the firmware was configured previously. Some pictures or diagrams of the wiring can help others to help you with this.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Echosyp wrote:So if I understand this correctly, I'll need to plug in my board to my comp and run Arduino to tune it. Will I be able to get the current firmware off the board to tune it? or will I need to download a new firmware and set that up correctly then flash it to the board? It's most likely going to be an older version already on the board so I guess I might as well update it to something newer.

Also seen something about the MultiWii GUI, since this is all new to me at the moment it gets overwhelming fast, I am a C++ programmer so the basic concept of how to uncomment the stuff I need to make everything work is easy as pie.

Technically, you tune your multiwii using the PIDs section in the conf or WinGUI. Everything else I think would be considered just basic settings. Arduino is used to change basic settings. You can not adjust your PIDs from it.

Echosyp

Post by Echosyp »

Kbev5709 wrote:Technically, you tune your multiwii using the PIDs section in the conf or WinGUI. Everything else I think would be considered just basic settings. Arduino is used to change basic settings. You can not adjust your PIDs from it.

Will the config.exe run without the board plugged up? All the stuff should arrive today but I downloaded MultiWii 2.4 last night and tried to run the conf.exe but it said i didn't have javaw.exe

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Search through the forums for that java error fix. There is a thread somewhere on here about that. Yes, the conf will start without the board. It will show all zeros when not hooked up to the board.

Echosyp

Post by Echosyp »

Kbev5709 wrote:Search through the forums for that java error fix. There is a thread somewhere on here about that. Yes, the conf will start without the board. It will show all zeros when not hooked up to the board.

Appreciate it, last question is it safe to plug the usb into the board while it's on the quad? Everything came in today and the board is already hooked up on the quad. Should I disconnect anything?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Make sure you remove the props for any bench work. I'm not sure what FC your craft uses, but USB can be connected with board in the craft with every MWFC I've ever used.

Echosyp

Post by Echosyp »

Kbev5709 wrote:Make sure you remove the props for any bench work. I'm not sure what FC your craft uses, but USB can be connected with board in the craft with every MWFC I've ever used.

Got it working in MultiWiiConf now, how can I figure out what arms the quad? I need the current settings from the board, is there an export button? Motors are spinning with throttle all the way down and it's actually lifting the quad. I want them to not spin at 0 throttle

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Echosyp wrote:Got it working in MultiWiiConf now, how can I figure out what arms the quad?

If the motors are spinning (as you state in the third quote) then I assure you that the quad is armed when that is happening. If you still need to know how to arm it with the throttle stick, normally, throttle down and yaw right on the throttle/yaw stick arms things in multiwii provided you have the config.h sketch arming options looking like this:
/******************************** ARM/DISARM *********************************/
/* optionally disable stick combinations to arm/disarm the motors.
* In most cases one of the two options to arm/disarm via TX stick is sufficient */
#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW
//#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_ROLL
To disarm you throttle down and yaw left.
Echosyp wrote: I need the current settings from the board, is there an export button?

No, normally when you hook up the quad to the USB and then open the conf and actually connect, the PID and other settings show up in the proper place without needing to export. There is a Read button there that can import the settings from your craft if for some reason they don't show up after just connecting.
Echosyp wrote: Motors are spinning with throttle all the way down and it's actually lifting the quad. I want them to not spin at 0 throttle

Down near the end of your config.h sketch is this section and the motor stop at idle command.
/**************************************************************************************/
/*********************** motor, servo and other presets ***********************/
/**************************************************************************************/
/* motors will not spin when the throttle command is in low position
this is an alternative method to stop immediately the motors */
#define MOTOR_STOP
Just make sure the define statement is un commented.
Also your high idle speed can be reduced in the config.h under minthrottle. Note: All of your ESCs must be calibrated properly. On my MW Pro 2 I have the minthrottle at 1000 and mincommand at 950. A lot depends on what your ESCs need for settings. A little research online in regards to your particular (what kind) ESCs required minthrottle and mincommand needs to be could never hurt.

Echosyp

Post by Echosyp »

Kbev5709 wrote:
Echosyp wrote:Got it working in MultiWiiConf now, how can I figure out what arms the quad?

If the motors are spinning (as you state in the third quote) then I assure you that the quad is armed when that is happening. If you still need to know how to arm it with the throttle stick, normally, throttle down and yaw right on the throttle/yaw stick arms things in multiwii provided you have the config.h sketch arming options looking like this:
/******************************** ARM/DISARM *********************************/
/* optionally disable stick combinations to arm/disarm the motors.
* In most cases one of the two options to arm/disarm via TX stick is sufficient */
#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW
//#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_ROLL
To disarm you throttle down and yaw left.
Echosyp wrote: I need the current settings from the board, is there an export button?

No, normally when you hook up the quad to the USB and then open the conf and actually connect, the PID and other settings show up in the proper place without needing to export. There is a Read button there that can import the settings from your craft if for some reason they don't show up after just connecting.
Echosyp wrote: Motors are spinning with throttle all the way down and it's actually lifting the quad. I want them to not spin at 0 throttle

Down near the end of your config.h sketch is this section and the motor stop at idle command.
/*********************** motor, servo and other presets ***********************/
/* motors will not spin when the throttle command is in low position
this is an alternative method to stop immediately the motors */
#define MOTOR_STOP
Just make sure the define statement is un commented.
Also your high idle speed can be reduced in the config.h under minthrottle. Note: All of your ESCs must be calibrated properly. On my MW Pro 2 I have the minthrottle at 1000 and mincommand at 950. A lot depends on what your ESCs need for settings. A little research online in regards to your particular (what kind) ESCs required minthrottle and mincommand needs to be could never hurt.

Appreciate it, so I'm going to have to reflash the 2.3 software onto the board? No way possible to open the current config.h that's on the board? Because stating that I'm new I'm not sure what exact settings was set in the original config.h that was used with the board.

To find out what ESCs I have I'm gonna have to cut the shrink wrap out from around them as the quad came assembled when i got it in today, so I have no idea what ESC's was used.

EDIT: Messed with it a bit more and it doesn't take off when I arm it, but the motors do spin while warmed, and OMG I held it down on the floor with my hand and gave it full throttle and damn those motors spin fast as hell. I'm use to my Dromida Ominus that you can stop the props with a finger, these would cut your finger off.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Echosyp wrote:Appreciate it, so I'm going to have to reflash the 2.3 software onto the board?

Any time you make changes in the config.h you have to reflash.
Echosyp wrote:No way possible to open the current config.h that's on the board?
Because stating that I'm new I'm not sure what exact settings was set in the original config.h that was used with the board.

I understand what you mean, but no, there is really no way to "read" the settings in Arduino that are already there. You normally just make the config.h the way you want it/need it and then upload. The only things you can actually "read" that you can make changes to are the PID settings in the conf.
Echosyp wrote:To find out what ESCs I have I'm gonna have to cut the shrink wrap out from around them as the quad came assembled when i got it in today, so I have no idea what ESC's was used.

Yeah, don't bother doing that. Just try the settings they give you to use there in the config.h. There are several options. I hate to tell you this, but you need to know what kind of peripherals your quad uses to be able to set it up when you need to.

Echosyp

Post by Echosyp »

Kbev5709 wrote:Yeah, don't bother doing that. Just try the settings they give you to use there in the config.h. There are several options. I hate to tell you this, but you need to know what kind of peripherals your quad uses to be able to set it up when you need to.

ESCs is the only thing I'm not sure what's in it. the rest are

BlueSkyRC xRotor Spider Quad frame with 12" front arms and 8" back arms.
FrSky D4Fr
WiteSpy MultiWii Pro 2.0 FC
Turnigy Aerodrive SK3 2826 1130kv Brushless Outrunner Motors