True beginner here, please help!

dazboh

True beginner here, please help!

Post by dazboh »

Hi guys,

I am completely new to everything Arduino/Multiwii/Quadcopters/RC..... I only discovered the idea of making my own quadcopter through reading about the Arduino.

Since deciding I want to make my own, I have read and read and read about it. To make the basic drone, seems fairly simple however, if I am going to build one, I want a camera on it, GPS, return to home, FPV etc. Again, the theory doesn't seem too complicated, but getting it all together and working seems to be. I have been bamboozled with various different ways to do this and now I am just lost!

My first idea was to use my Arduino Uno/Nano, then buy the accellerometer/magnetometer/barometer addon card (9dof? MP6050 off the top of my head?), get a GPS addon such as a Ublox 6m GPS. Then I realised I need something like the Multiwii so that I can use the Multiwii software to tune the controls. But, things have become confusing now so are any of these setups correct? -

1) Arduino Uno + Multiwii (which type?) + Ublox (+4 x ESCs with BEC, 4 x 10" props, 4 x Brushless motors, 2 x 3700mah Zippy Lipo Batts 3s, Frame, Gopro Gimble with 2 servos-self levelling, Tx/Rx unit Multiwii/arduino software)
2) JUST Multiwii MEGA All in one, + Ublox (or similar), (+4 x ESCs with BEC, 4 x 10" props, 4 x Brushless motors, 2 x 3700mah Zippy Lipo Batts 3s, Frame, Gopro Gimble with 2 servos-self levelling, Tx/Rx unit, Multiwii/arduino software)
3) Arduino Uno/Nano + MP6050 + Ublox (or similar) + Multiwii /Arduino IDE software.

If I just use the Arduino with the MP6050, then where can I get hold of the code for it so that it includes GPS return to home functions as well?

In the end, this was an Arduino project for me so I am happy to use my arduino.

Thanks very much in advance

Darren

dazboh

Re: True beginner here, please help!

Post by dazboh »

More info -

Here is my parts list so far -

Motors: 4x FC 28-22 (1200kv)
ESC: 4x Hobbyking SS Series 15-18A ESC
Battery: 2x ZIPPY Compact 3700mAh 3S 25C
Props: 4x 10x4.5 SF Props 2CW+2CCW
Radio-controller: Hobby King 2.4Ghz 6Ch V2
APM 2.6 Flight Controller +Ublox-7M GPS & Compass +power module Fr ArduPilot FPV

Any advice/comments are appreciated.....

Kbev5709

Re: True beginner here, please help!

Post by Kbev5709 »

I hear lots of good things about the APM but I know nothing about them. I know they run on a different firmware (Arducopter) than your typical multiwii. I was looking at stuff about the PixHawk and it looked like a jumble of wires and difficult to arm and just about everything else I wouldn't want in a FC (not to mention it's HUGE.) In your first post your mentioned something about a Mega AIO. Everything on that number 2 list would work. You would be way better off skipping the servo gimbal though. Just get one of those $50.00 go pro brushless gimbals that they sell on ebay. I ran a servo gimbal off a mega board and it is just not totally smooth. The jerkyness translates to crappy video. Mega boards are awesome. no jungle of wires, no ftdi interfaces, if you get the right one they have awesome sensors. Mine does waypoint and has a remote compass (I think only the RTF Quads Blacked Mag has that.) The good thing about the blacked mag board is that you can use their EZ connectors to hook up your remote mag and gps with one wire set so there still isn't many more wires hanging allover the place. Don't waste your money on the HK MW Pro if you get a mega. High price, high S&H charges, obsolete sensors and obsolete GPS make this a rip off. Check out RTF quads blue mega boards if you want an onboard mag and the blacked edition pro3 for a remote mag. Their most expensive Mega board costs $45.00 (the blacked mag one that I own.) There is a choice of GPS you can use at different prices. I use the one they sell with the huge battery and huge antenna on it (LEAH 6 H Ublox unit) and I also bought their RTF GPS SHIELD/HOOD which acts as a ground plane for the GPS antenna. It flies waypoint missions pretty well. They also use the latest and IMHO, best sensors. Shipping is flat rate $4.50. No, I don't work for Paul Baxter over there at RTF Quads. I see him getting bashed quite hard on the RC Groups site for bad product and lack of service. I have spent a total of $247.00 there in a total of five separate orders with absolutely no problems with delivery times, bad product, messed up orders, or any other problems. Everything I've ever bought there works fine. He does have some bad info regarding board definitions and stuff but I'll bet someone else entered that info on the website. Until he messes up pretty badly I will continue to ignore the crowd of RTF Quad bashers out there and be happy for good product shipped in America. On my last two orders it took 4 days and 3 days to go from processing to shipped. I bought four of their $10.00 1000kv motors. They are awesome. They run smooth and strong. Their ESCs are rock solid and I had no problems getting them calibrated and working. This is the CF "H" quad I built using almost all RTF quads parts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQflDGEwDFE