operating procedures for HEADFREE mode?

sprior

operating procedures for HEADFREE mode?

Post by sprior »

I'm a recent owner of a Flip 1.5 based quad (with the baro and magnetometer addon) and can fly in ANGLE mode when the drone is facing away from me, but I'd like to start to use HEADFREE mode to do 360 degree pans with the drone's video camera. I see the descriptions of MAG, HEADFREE, and HEADADJ modes but Google hasn't found me a description of the procedures for using them. I calibrated the compass (and the Windows GUI confirms that it's working). I've got a switch on the transmitter set so:

position 1 is no MAG, no HEADFREE
Position 2 is MAG AND HEADFREE
Position 3 is MAG, HEADFREE, and HEADADJ.

I assume position 3 is used just for a moment to set the new heading and then I'd go back to position 2. So I've been taking off in Position 1 (nothing), then hovering and set to position 3 for a few seconds, then position 2, but I don't notice any difference in the controls when I turn the drone around, right stick still means the quad's right, not right compared to where I had it in HEADADJ.

I assume I'm doing it wrong. Can someone point me to any documentation on the correct procedure for using these modes, and what's the correct combination of modes to configure for the aux switches?

sprior

Re: operating procedures for HEADFREE mode?

Post by sprior »

I've double checked with MultiWiiWinGUI connected and the compass is showing an accurate heading and on the Flight Deck panel the indicators for MAG, HEADFREE, and HEADADJ are coming on when I expect them to, so the transmitter switches are set up as I thought they were. But when I take off and put the quad in HEADFREE mode I don't see any change in the behavior of the controls - I take off with the drone facing away from me, turn on HEADFREE mode, turn the drone 90 degrees to the left (left stick), then use the right stick to move the drone to the right and it moves to its right (away from me) instead of my right.

Cereal_Killer

Re: operating procedures for HEADFREE mode?

Post by Cereal_Killer »

The 2D directions it uses are the directions (in relation to IT) at the point headfree is engauged. It has no idea what way YOU'RE facing.

Here's how I use it...
Set it (ONLY headfree, no mag, no headadjust) BEFORE arming
Arm
Stand the same way it's facing
Take off and fly around, right stick will always move right regardless of what way the quad is actually facing.