Terrible throttle response with blheli

boaterguy

Terrible throttle response with blheli

Post by boaterguy »

I'm working on tuning my hex that I just finished with multiwii, running blheli with damped light
s550 frame
2212 1000kv knockoff motors
dji style 1038 carbon props
rtfq ez-20 esc's
multistar 5200mah 10C 3S.

I am running damped light on the ESC's, and the motors do seem to run a little rough. I tried lowering the timing to med-low from medium, because the motors seemed to be running a little warm, haven't tried that out yet.
Anyways,
When I punch the throttle, the response is almost nothing for a good half of a second. After that, the motors finally start to spool up, and the hex stumbles upwards. It seems to pitch or roll in some given direction before finally stabilizing itself and going into a climb, probably more than a second after I punched the throttle.

It doesn't sound like the motors are trying to accelerate, so I don't think it's really a current draw issue or a motor/prop combo inertia issue.

Would turning off damped light help with this? I know it would help with the rough running and possibly heat issue, and I don't think I really need it on a hex this big for stability, what would you guys recommend?

Has anyone else experienced a lazy throttle issue?

FengShuiDrone

Re: Terrible throttle response with blheli

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

2212's are a bit small for 10" props (yes even 3.8" pitch). First thing I'd do is switch to 8040 or 8047, you have six motors after all.

boaterguy

Post by boaterguy »

The battery is getting a little warm, but not too bad. I have flown with under rated batteries before on airplanes and it doesn't seem to be the same thing happening, however I may be wrong since I've only seen it with stock escs, no fc and on an airplane moving forward.

I'll try a 30c 4000mah battery and see how that goes, but I would have liked the flight times from a bit more capacity, which I may be losing in heat due to the low c rating.

I'm thinking about going up to 6600mah, or 13200mah even, still at 10c since I'm running the multistars batteries

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boaterguy

Post by boaterguy »

You have a point. I'm used to the acro quads with power to spare, I must've underestimated.
I have a 4000mah 30c pack laying around I'll try out, but I know I'm not going to be happy with the flight time