Can't seem to do flips in Horizon mode?

Litneon

Can't seem to do flips in Horizon mode?

Post by Litneon »

I was thinking that when I switched from Angle to Horizon mode that I'd be able to start flipping my quad. I've been flying my Blade 180 qx in Acro mode for a while now and have gotten comfortable flipping it, but when I wanted to start trying to flip my big quad, I can't.

Now, with my small quad, I increase throttle to try to maintain altitude and it flips just fine. With my Naze 32 and Harakiri, I add throttle, it goes to about 90 degrees, and flys down the street really fast. Luckily, I've caught it both times. Not sure where to start.

FengShuiDrone

Re: Can't seem to do flips in Horizon mode?

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Thanks. I'll try that.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

I know the answer is probably subjective, but where's a good place to start on that rate? I've set it to .75, but honestly, I'm scared. Haha.

I wasn't sure if I should go straight to 1, which you mentioned, or edge up slowly. Honestly, I kinda think that I can probably handle the flip, it's the quad not flipping that's a handful to recover.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Well, I backed it down to .50 to start. The flips were slow, and it would lose about 15 to 20 feet of altitude each time.

I then taught myself a valuable lesson. Rather than slowly increasing the rate, I jumped it to 1.00. Heck, if I can control the first slow one, how much faster can it be? It's a big 500ish quad.

When I threw the stick to initiate the flip, it did three flips in about a second, just as FengShuiDrone had said. I then over corrected the opposite direction, and it did three flips the opposite way and by the time it had recovered, it was headed to the ground right side up too quickly. Luckily it only broke a boom and landing gear.

Thanks for all the help! I will enjoy this once it's rebuilt. Time for some FPV flips...

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Please understand that I didn't think that you suggested a setting of 1. You were right about the multiple loops per second. Part of me thought that had to be an exaggeration... (it is not).

In my brain, if half a beer is good, then a whole beer is immensely better.

Anyway, I'm back up flying, so no biggie. Just a life lesson.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

So I settled on a .65 setting.

Now though, it seems that my GPS Hold is suffering. I don't know if it's possible, can the Roll/Pitch Rate have any effect on GPS Hold function? It may be totally unrelated. It will hold position for a second or so, then start an outward spiral growing ever larger.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Litneon

Post by Litneon »

Yeah, I think over the last year or so, I might have 5 minutes of actual position hold time accrued. My only reason for ever pursuing it was for a safety net if I got out of sight, or had a signal dropout while flying FPV.

I might just ditch it.

Thanks for the input!

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

Holy crap man, that thing is perfect! I wish mine worked like that!

Right now I'm getting about a 1.5-2m circle. I might have to get me one of those MEGA2560 FC's, I am gonna try lowering my posH and PosHR PID's tho, you're are really low.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Thu Aug 06, 2015 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

What GPS are you using. Usually I'm all for using the cheap crap (NEO 6M) but the cleanflight dev's are all stressing the importance of going with a better GPS like a LEA 7M or NEO 8M8. I'm actually thinking about getting one now, I just hate the idea of buying a $40-50 GPS that MIGHT work a little better when my NEO 6 is [litetally] $15 delivered to my door with mount and screws and connector.