gps with 328p arduino

handsomejackuk

gps with 328p arduino

Post by handsomejackuk »

Hi,

I have my own built arduino controller using an arduino nano clone with atmega 328p chip hmc 5883l mag, mpu 6050, bmp180 barometer. running multiwii version 2.2 i have tried version 2.3 but not much success, as i don't think the atmega 328p has enough memory to run multiwii 2.3 well...

anyway with the atmega 328p board will i be able to use any of the gps functions at all like gps hold or return to home ?

I have plenty of spare serial ports, and i2c bus to get gps working.. so pretty confident on that..

please advise.,..

thanks...

QuadBow

Re: gps with 328p arduino

Post by QuadBow »

handsomejackuk wrote:anyway with the atmega 328p board will i be able to use any of the gps functions at all like gps hold or return to home ?

For the legacy version MW 2.3 the 328p should handle gps functions via an i2c_gps_nav module. However, memory is quite spare on that 328p, so it depends on other functions you might have enabled, whether the poor 328p runs out of memory...

For the forthcoming MW 2.4 you will not be able to use the advanced gps functions like waypoint navigation. Furthermore, it is doutable, whether the simple gps functions (position hold and return to home) can be used or whether the memory will be the bottleneck.

In total: I do not recommand the combination of p328 and gps.

handsomejackuk wrote:I have plenty of spare serial ports, and i2c bus to get gps working.. so pretty confident on that..

That would surprise me. Are you still talking about the p328? That chip has only one USART/serial, which is used for the MW protocol and for programming...

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

yeah the nano clone board... my mistake i dont have a lot of serial ports, just the one. I was thinking of my naze board. I am using the serial port for bluetooth, so will use gps on the i2c port with a serial to i2c adaptor board.. i dont really want waypoint just be good to have rth, and gps lock available... its all done on the cheap, as i had some refund money from hobbyking for a faulty multiwii328p flight controller so figured i could make my own and its working well...

when you say the legacy version 2.3 not too sure what you mean there ? I do have a lot of stuff currently enabled landing lights, and strobes... be interested to know how much code the gps takes.. presumably it has to load in memory some gps coordinates for rth....

thanks

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

QuadBow wrote:when you say the legacy version 2.3 not too sure what you mean there ?

Well, MW 2.3 is still the current version, but sooner or later it will be replaced by MW 2.4 and not londer supported.

It appears to me that i2c_nav_gps is not longer supported by MW 2.4 beta, since there is a error showing up once you select I2C_GPS in config.h.
Maybe this will change for the offcial release. My recommendation would be to buy a MEGA2560 if you want to use a GPS device.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

got it installed tonite and seems to work ok i not put the props on yet and fully flight tested but all seems to behaving even the gps, vbat, all working i think before i for got to add my unique 90degrees mag offset inguilt in to my flight controller and that was giving me problems.....

ImageP1080643 by handsomejackuk, on Flickr