NEWB with HK Multiwii Pro with GPS

Leo

Re: NEWB with HK Multiwii Pro with GPS

Post by Leo »

If I did my research correctly the numbers in the diagram below should correspond with the numbers on the FC.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK when I get home tonight I will verify it is connected correctly. Also I will bump the voltage up on the BEC. Where did you find that diagram. It was not in the manual that you posted earlier that I saw.......

Leo

Post by Leo »

Google is your friend. However you will find the connection description on page 42 in the link I gave you.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK, so last night I verified the motors are connected to the correct pins. My BEC is variable, so I connected it to the PC and turned the voltage up to 5.5 volts. And tried it again. It seemed that it was hitting full throttle way before the stick was, so I am not sure why that was, but I did have it at full throttle which resulted in this.

http://vid248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/RumbleWagon/Nano%20Killer/VID_20150223_220943_403_zpsixlzqryl.mp4

I tried several times adjusting trims and what not then at one point got it to this...

http://vid248.photobucket.com/albums/gg164/RumbleWagon/Nano%20Killer/VID_20150223_220815_345_zpsjcf8j4te.mp4

But again, this is at full throttle when it did that, or at least full stick which does not appear to be at full throttle. It appeared that if I got it to stop spinning by adjusting radio input it would attempt to lift.

Leo

Post by Leo »

The new videos are much more meaningful. I have the strong feeling your ESC's are not calibrated correctly.

Before you calibrate the ESC's you might want to check if your stick settings on your remote are set to -125% and +125%. That is how I set mine up.

You can also calibrate all ESC's at once by activating

Code: Select all

#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY

in config.h

DON'T forget to remove all props!

Deactivate the command once the calibration is done. That is how I did it.

Motors and props have been balanced... right?
Last edited by Leo on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I believe it is something with the hardware. I did go through and calibrate each ESC individually, maybe one didn't take.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK, after tonights play time I have come up with an issue. Either I have a faulty motor or ESC in the position 8 location on the hex. It will no longer control under slow speed. I tried this hooked direct to the RX and recalibrated. No change. I think it is the ESC because it does not tone as loud as the others for calibration or arming. Also the motor sounds different than others. So now I guess I will be ordering a motor and ESC. Would be nice to have some spares anyhow.

This may have been my issue all along, though I am not sure. This is the same motor that would not start up under the version 2.4 software. So maybe this is the problem. Also after giving the machine some inspection I noticed that after one of the side flops that it encountered I believe I have cracked the motor mount on one side.

Looks like it is time to order parts. Hopefully you are still online when they arrive. Doesn't seem to be many active on this board.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I have two ESCs on order. Hopefully have them in hand soon. Really want this ready to fly in the spring.

Leo

Post by Leo »

I'm sure that will happen :)

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

New ESCs finally in hand. Soldered on plugs. Hopefully ready for another flight test in the next day or so.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Looking forward to a positive report :)

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

well I guess we will keep waiting for that. Turns out....... despite my checks it must be the motor that is bad. Unless it is my power feeding it. But don't know how that could be....

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

further tests.....

Tried 2 different ESCs.. its the motor

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK!!!! TWO NEW MOTORS IN HAND!!!

Hopefully give this another shot this weekend.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Well............ long time has passed since I touched on this.

Both new motors that I got turned out to be junk..... Got another and fired it up for a test. Still nothing. Almost through the thing at a wall but instead decided to sit it on the shelf for a bit.

Since then I decided to play around with some other stuff. I picked up a s250 quad at the Weak Signals Show in Toledo. It came equipped with a CC3D flight controller that I loaded up with Openpilot software. Extremely simple, nice little setup wizards. Been flying the crap out of that.

The CC3d can run a hex and are very cheap. I grabbed one for $15 and loaded it up on the hex. Took it outside and did successfully get it off the ground and flew for a few minutes. Nothing hard just tested function. At this time I did find that one of my motor mounts was cracked, probably due to one of the basement crashes. This was causing some periodic heavy vibration on the one motor making flight quite the challenge. I just ordered a second frame for this so I have one for parts, but put some CA on the crack for now to hold it.

All this being said, I am happy to have finally seen this fly, but very disappointed that it was with this cheap FC. At least now I know all my other electronics are proven working. I am going to go back to the crius and try it again, but not just yet. I want to try and get some other things dialed in first. I want the multiwii to work, I want all of it's functionality.

I did start trying to dress this thing back up so it isn't such a bloody mess. Still want to get a different power distribution board for this too. Any recommendations on something that can handle this kind of power?

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Lived in Toledo for a while, work part time at Hobbytown in the RC department. I actually live in Michigan outside of Milan.

I don't think the crius is defective. I had the same response for the HK multiwii pro I was using.

FengShuiDrone

Post by FengShuiDrone »

Last edited by FengShuiDrone on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Did have a successful 6 minute gentle flight with this still on the CC3d though. Swapped the props up to 12x5.5s and that is just what it needed. After my six minutes though it made a loud crack sound about 20ft off the ground and I noticed the left rear prop slowing down. The other 5 struggled to hold it level but kept it straight enough for a decent landing. Noticed that the wires going from motor to ESC some how came uplugged and one wire showed signs of contact with the prop. Resecured all ESC wires and attempted another flight. It was only off the ground about 4ft and made the same noise and came down. This time it broke 3 motor mounts. I started fabbing my own out of 1/8" aluminum. Should be much more sturdy than the chincy glass ones. Maybe the mounts are flexing that much? As soon as I get that done I am going to try the Cruis again.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Got the new motor mounts done. Test installed one. I need to get some longer bolts to proceed with this mission. New mounts may not be as pretty, but seem much more functional. Weigh a little more but not to noticeable to the calibrated hand. Not like weight is going to be an issue for this thing anyway.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Well I finally put the crius back in. It flew!..... briefly.... Then did this neat pirouette thing along with a couple somersaults and crashed. I'm sure it needs PID adjustment and maybe it will fly correctly.