NEWB with HK Multiwii Pro with GPS

Neverdone

NEWB with HK Multiwii Pro with GPS

Post by Neverdone »

So I am getting setup with my hex that I have been building for quite some time. It was abandoned for a while but since I have finally picked up a new radio I am ready to move on.

I have some setup issues though. For some reason the gui won't run on my laptop. It starts up but can not connect. It is an older Windows XP machine, Toshiba, but it's what I use to do all my other programming and have never had an issue. Anyone have any experience with this?

I opened arduino and have been editing the config.h file there and making some adjustments in the MWC2.3 to fit my hex and also trying to setup bluetooth and an LCD OBD. I am trying to use a little Crius CO-16. I can not even get it to light up. Has anyone ever used one of these before? All I was trying to get it to do is a little telemetry which seems straight forward in the code, but it does not display anything, I soldered in a pin header to serial port 1 and trying to run it there, GPS in port 2 and bluetooth in port 3, but have not even got to the bluetooth portion yet.

My last question for now is about my radio. I am setting up a DX9 (new Black Edition) and have read to #define spektrum 2048 in config file, but what are the other spektrum settings there? I have an AR9020 receiver with 2 remote receivers. Does the two remotes make a difference?

I know that this is a lot of questions. But if anyone can help with any that would be great. So far with my edited code and bound radio I try to do the ESC calibration function and get nothing. With the esc calibrate function commented out I get no response from the radio at all. I can not even get it to arm...

When I get home tonight I am hoping to work on this more if I have time.

Neverdone

Re: NEWB with HK Multiwii Pro with GPS

Post by Neverdone »

Any help??

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK

So after some Java surfing and stuff I found out that what my issue was with that. So I have the gui working now. I did not need to do any special setups for the DX9. GUI shows all the movements. But no matter what I do it still will not arm. I have changed radio endpoints to 120%, changed min throttle values....... When I first turn it on the blue LED and green come on, after a few seconds they start flashing and so does the red. Can anyone help with what this may mean??

for some reason I can not load a copy of my config file to share.... is there some way I can put it up for you to see???

brewski

Post by brewski »

Check out the HK Files section at bottom of product description. You need to uncomment
/******************************** ARM/DISARM *********************************/
/* optionally disable stick combinations to arm/disarm the motors.
* In most cases one of the two options to arm/disarm via TX stick is sufficient */
#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW
//#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_ROLL

Then to arm have Throttle set to Min & move Yaw fully right. Disarm by Yaw full left. This is the latest stick combinations I have found http://uavideas.blogspot.com.au/

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I have uncommented #define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW already. I have been through some of the setups on the HK files section but haven't had much luck

brewski

Post by brewski »

I suggest you read Beginners Guide viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5363
This should answer some of your questions.
Re the Spektrum DX9. I suggest just connecting up using individual cables for each control. You can worry about single serial data connection later.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

DUMB DUMB DUMB

Yaw direction was backwards, so was roll......... SMH

turns on, tries to level (no props) has throttle control..... On to further embarrassment.... Next step balance props and get ready to test. Still need to mount some stuff too and get the GPS working and the OBD working. SMH

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Put the props on and attempted to lift off in the basement. Back lifts and it all starts to tip, I tried giving input to level it out, but it will not. I checked all motor directions and they are correct, they all have the correct props on them so I assume there is something not set correctly in a PID or something. Not too sure. Haven't had time to mess with it since.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Standard PIDs will get multi to hover. Did you cal ACC with multi level & totally still?

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Using MWConfig sitting flat on my desk in the Hex pressed CALIB_ACC and left it sit for several minutes. I am using MW2.3 with the config file adjusted for my setup. When I press CALIB_MAG the LED does not flash. From what I have been reading it should flash when doing this. The compass seems close compared to a regular hand compass. The grey line on the config seems to be moving up and down from .7 to 1.2. The legend says that is the ALT which I assume is altimeter. Does that have something to do with it?

I do not believe I have any of the flight modes set. Those are set from MW Config correct? Does that need to me done? Right now I was just trying to set it for regular flight just the radio and figured I would move in to that stuff later.

Sorry to be such a pain.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Neverdone wrote:Using MWConfig sitting flat on my desk in the Hex pressed CALIB_ACC and left it sit for several minutes. I am using MW2.3 with the config file adjusted for my setup. When I press CALIB_MAG the LED does not flash. From what I have been reading it should flash when doing this. The compass seems close compared to a regular hand compass. The grey line on the config seems to be moving up and down from .7 to 1.2. The legend says that is the ALT which I assume is altimeter. Does that have something to do with it?

I do not believe I have any of the flight modes set. Those are set from MW Config correct? Does that need to me done? Right now I was just trying to set it for regular flight just the radio and figured I would move in to that stuff later.

Sorry to be such a pain.

The FC status LED should flash whilst ACC is calibrating & for 30 seconds after Mag Cal is initiated. ACC readings in MWConfig should zero out after successful cal. You need to first hover using only Acro (gyro only) & trim flight with TX trims. Next initiate Horizon (or Angle but less functionality) note any drift, land & apply ACC stick compensation in opposite direction. See Hamburger's stick chart in WiKi.
The Alt will only zero out when power is connected with MW2.3. The Alt graph line and readings will vary quite a bit especially in first few minutes until sensor reaches temperature. For this reason , as well as ensuing at least 6 GPS satellites, it is wise to allow several minutes after applying power before arming.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

It does not flash while calibrating ACC either. Does it need to be powered from the battery also while doing this?

brewski

Post by brewski »

Neverdone wrote:It does not flash while calibrating ACC either. Does it need to be powered from the battery also while doing this?

No just USB. Do your ACC X & Y values zero out in MWConfig when you start ACC Cal? If not try using MW WinGUI and see if it does. If you get no response from either then I suspect your IMU6050 is faulty.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I will check when I get home. I am downloading the latest version of WINGUI right now. So if the IMU6050 is bad then that means replacing the flight controller correct???

brewski

Post by brewski »

Correct. I would contact HK & claim warranty. There are known issues with their MW AIOP as you will see by searching on this & RCGroups. They will probably send you another without returning faulty one if you document fault with screen shots etc.
If out of warranty then buy a Crius AIOP V2/V2.1 as I & others have found them very reliable provided you feed them with UBec set to 5.5V or 6V with a diode in series to overcome loss due to protection diode on board.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK using Wingui I tried calibrating the accelerometer. I believe we have the problem. I took a couple screen shots to share.

I am guessing since the Z did not go to zero this is the problem..... :cry:

brewski

Post by brewski »

No 'Z' is never zero. With MPU6050 you should have Z=512. What MPU does your board use?

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK so maybe it is still in my setup then.

It is this board here
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... odule.html

I followed the setup I saw there for which board to use, but maybe that is wrong.

When I did the config file one of the setups I saw there said to use:
#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883

but maybe that is not correct

brewski

Post by brewski »

Neverdone wrote:OK so maybe it is still in my setup then.

It is this board here
http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__ ... odule.html

I followed the setup I saw there for which board to use, but maybe that is wrong.

When I did the config file one of the setups I saw there said to use:
#define FFIMUv2 // second version of 9DOF+baro board from Jussi, with HMC5883

but maybe that is not correct

No you have wrong board. I don't know why HK continues to sell boards with outdated technology :evil: .
On HK site you can see the sensors-
ITG3205 Gyro
BMA180 ACC
BMP085 Baro
HMC5883 Mag

The Drotek 10DOF has all these sensors, or you can leave boards commented & just select the individual sensors.
Many users have had issues getting these boards to function correctly. Search this & RCGroups with board type.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Tried identifying sensors individual but now the mag is off. Tried to lift off had same issue.

http://youtu.be/WkjKraDwNeI?list=UUdpjC ... 9cYjUivI5w

At the end of the video you can hear the thing surge or at least you can see the lights dim. This is at about half throttle. One time I had it try and spin on the ground most of the time though it tries to lift either the front or the back first. One time it did tip backwards also.

I picked up a used Crius off ebay today. We will see what happens with that. In the mean time I will still mess with this and see what I can get.

Any thoughts?

brewski

Post by brewski »

Did you try holding it firmly from below & increasing throttle while watching MWConfig?
As you increase throttle watch the compass. It should not deviate more than 5 degrees. If it does then the onboard mag is being affected by magnetic fields from wiring & will cause major yaw issues..even spinning. If Mag is deflecting then you can try to twist wires or move FC as high as you can. IMHO disabling onboard Mag & using an Ext Mag is the only way to go. With only Acro (no flight mode selected), no GPS or any other setting including Mag in MWConfig , increase throttle to half. You should feel that quad is weightless & if you tilt it in direction of each motor it should force that arm back to centre. If it is tilting in any direction correct with TX trims. If you can achieve this & are getting instant correction to any movement you should be able to take off and hover. Whist holding quad also feel for any vibration & resulting erratic speed in motor graphs & if evident finely balance props. You should also set 42hz filter for ACC in Config.h even with balanced props.
I suggest you read Beginners Guide viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5363&p=54216&hilit=beginners+guide#p53613 which I sent link to earlier as all these tips are outlined & from my own experience in getting a homemade quad up and flying using basic cheap components, yet giving reliable & repeatable flying experience.

I think going with Crius AIOP is your best bet for reliability.
I would also buy a Ublox 6m GPS with ext Mag which are now <$20. If you get the Crius AIOP V2 or V2.1 onboard mag is easy to disable by just marked cutting jumper pads.

tingqueji

Post by tingqueji »

But no matter what I do it still will not arm. I have changed radio endpoints to 120%, changed min throttle values....... When I first turn it on the blue LED and green come on, after a few seconds they start flashing and so does the red. Can anyone help with what this may mean??

Eyeshadow Palette
makeup brush set

brewski

Post by brewski »

This guy is a spammer. Can someone block him!!

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

The new flight controller finally came in. Was playing around a little last night. Can't get the ardiuno software to connect. Downloaded the FDTI drivers, but nothing. Hopefully get to play more tonight. Was doing some reading, this will still use the same motor layout correct? I was digging around and haven't found much on the V2 board. Most the info that I see is for the V1.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Neverdone wrote:The new flight controller finally came in. Was playing around a little last night. Can't get the ardiuno software to connect. Downloaded the FDTI drivers, but nothing. Hopefully get to play more tonight. Was doing some reading, this will still use the same motor layout correct? I was digging around and haven't found much on the V2 board. Most the info that I see is for the V1.

See link for user manual for Crius AIOP V2. http://www.multi-rotor.co.uk/index.php?topic=1435.0 It is for MegaPirates but pinouts same. This is the best connection guide I have found. You will need to register with Multi Rotor UK to download.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Thanks gentlemen....

I did get it programmed up last night plugged in to the receiver and tested. Seems to work. Need to plug in to the hex and do some further testing.

What is everyone's recommendation for a GPS unit for this controller?

Leo

Post by Leo »

Neverdone wrote:What is everyone's recommendation for a GPS unit for this controller?

How much money do you want to spend?

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

enough for something to work well. Don't want to invest a million, but would like decent accuracy with something that works. Obviously the first round investment was not wise nor did it work. If the Crius is the better unit I will stick with it but need to reinvest in the correct components to go with it.

Leo

Post by Leo »

OK, so you can't spend a million... then we have to take the cheap route....

I have this GPS/MAG unit with my Crius AIO Pro V2.0: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301293637300?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I hooked it up like so:

That should get you going nicely :)

Leo

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

So I plugged in the new FC last night and get almost the exact same response. It tries to pitch forward when attempting to lift off. Tried to trim it back and when it tries to lift It starts to try and spin counter clockwise. SMH I'mat a loss. Tried recalibrating my ESCs and get same thing. Took props off and plugged in to PC to watch GUI mag holds steady. Could it be a radio setup? It is set in across mode no mixes. Bout to give up on this project. Getting very frustrating. :(

Leo

Post by Leo »

That last thing you want to do is give up. We'll get this thing up....

How about you recap on all the hardware you are using. Makes it easier for me (us) to help.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

DX9 Black Edition
AR9020 receiver
Multistar 30a ESC
Crius AIOP V2 (no ad ons yet) Multiwii 2.3
28-30S 800KV / 300W Brushless Motors
10x5 props
HexaX setup
parallel 2700mah 40c 3s batteries

Leo

Post by Leo »

Are the motors turning like in this diagram:

If you can I would recommend you use the latest pre 2.4 code and also use MultiWiiConf:
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B8_pEI-_SlWGVWYtRTJRTG5JVmM

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

My hex is set up this way....

Any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Leo

Post by Leo »

Right now I don't have a clue due lack of information.

How do the bars in MultiWiiConf react when you arm the machine (without props!) and move the gas stick?
Do they all more or less move the same?

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

start out the same when throttling up. Then start dropping and throttling different rates when you stop throttling up. All hold the same when just armed no throttle.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Let's have a look at your conf.h

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK here is a pic of the current setup standing from the back.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I can not get the cinfig file to upload as an attachment.....

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Hopefully this works for the config file
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pehsztshi1fs5ol/config.h?dl=0

Leo

Post by Leo »

When I first saw the picture I thought... who spilled the spaghetti on the copter :lol:

Taking a look at your configuration I immediately noticed that you have the wrong board configured!
If it's the same board that is pictured in my post then you need to activate:

Code: Select all

#define CRIUS_AIO_PRO_V1

I have Max Throttle set to:

#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850

Are you using PPM with your setup? If not then deactivate it:

//#define PPM_ON_THROTTLE

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Yeah I haven't got around to trying to clean up the wiring on that yet. I have a neat plan for that.

It is the same board as you have pictured so thanks on that.

PPM_ON_THROTTLE

Not even sure what that is or why it is on...... I will give that a shot tonight. Any other thoughts on the config?

Leo

Post by Leo »

Yea... turn off your oled for now.

//#define OLED_I2C_128x64 // I2C LCD: OLED http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1350

//#define SUPPRESS_OLED_I2C_128x64LOGO  // suppress display of OLED logo to save memory

I'll say it again. Consider using the latest pre 2.4 build. Lots of improvements and fixes.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

OK so I tried loading up 2.4 with my current setup with changes discussed. No PPM, no LCD, and the correct version of the board. Tried to start up and the motor indicated in the picture as "9" was turning noticeably slower than the rest. When throttling up that motor went to a stalled/off state.

Reverted back to version 2.3 and have the same issues. starts to try and lift but then tips and one direction, or it rotates counter clockwise. And it went back to surging as shown in the video originally posted.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Well, I trust you have read and done all the recommendations posted at the beginning of this thread like read the Wiki.. ESC, ACC and MAG calibration and so on...

I took a look at your video and frankly I can't tell that there is anything wrong only because you are hardly doing anything.
The copter needs to be above a certain height to get out of air turbulence from ground effect. Go outside in the grass and carefully try to get the copter in the air.
If the copter is slightly rotating or clearly moving to one side then you would need to use trim on the remote. This is in ARCO mode.

One other thing I would recommend. Before I flew my first "big" copter I practiced with little cheap mini quads like the Hubsan X4.

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

Yes I have read it and done what I saw in the beginning of the thread.

The thing that bothers me is that it keeps twisting and tipping. You can also see/hear in the video it starts pulsing.

I do have 3 small quads that I fly regularly. An MQX, 200qx, and a real small ProtoX. Never had an issue with any of those. I do plan on building a 250 quad. Maybe I will start with that before continuing with this. Just really want to see this fly. Unfortunately with a foot of snow on the ground and sub zero temps I am not taking anything outside right now. So maybe this will have to wait a little longer before anything else happens.

Leo

Post by Leo »

Ok

I seems to me then you will have to start looking at the hardware. Check and see if ESC/Motor is working correctly.
One test would be to use the "#define DYNBALANCE" option to check each of them individually.

Something that comes to mind: How are you powering the FC board?

Neverdone

Post by Neverdone »

I have checked and rechecked. Still not sure on motor connections on the flight controller. I did not find anything definite on Multiwii connections on the crius for the motor plan. I found one chart that looked to be right so hopefully it works.

I don't seem to have much luck finding information for the Crius and that seems odd if it is a multiwii controller of choice. Another question about that is where is a good spot to find cables for the small molnex connectors on the board?

As for powering the FC I am using a 10amp castle creations BEC set at 5.0V

Leo

Post by Leo »

If you had a Quad then it would be simpler for me :)

You can always start by looking at eBay.

I strongly suggest you get a bec with 5.4 Volt output to power the FC! Some info here: http://www.multiwii.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5940