MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module from hobbyki

Aitch

MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module from hobbyki

Post by Aitch »

Firstly Hi all and hello from me "Aitch" in sunny nottinghamshire England :lol:

I have bought the above from hobbyking fr controlling a multicopter
ive been flying for a while but using the oh too simple NAZA + Gps

Ive been googling and youtubing for over a week now looking for a straightforward guide to setting this up
I believe I have to enable / upload software-firmware for the gps first then
do it all again for the flight controller
then set it all up in the gui

is there a step by step guide for doing this anywhere _ a dummy's guide would be good _

I do want to be able to use the GPS for return to home failsafe position hold etc....

Many Thanks
Aitch :ugeek:

scrat

Re: MultiWii PRO Flight Controller w/MTK GPS Module from hob

Post by scrat »

Did you check manual under Files tab on hobbyking site for your flight controller? There is everything you need to know for start.

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

scrat wrote:Did you check manual under Files tab on hobbyking site for your flight controller? There is everything you need to know for start.

I did see that on the hobbyking site however when I view their site I don't have a files tab????

is there a link direct to the manuals page ?

Thanks

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

ok so I found the files tab way down the page
this among other things leads to other instructions video's I have already found
and I know im going to get abuse but its way complicated

take for instance this statement

Open it with Arduino and the needed settings in the file config.h
FOR ENABLE THE GPS MODULE PLEASE DELETE ‘//’ BEFORE THE PROGRAM
STATEMENT

I have no idea what or where the program statement is so cant delete the //

that's why im looking for step by step for dummies type instructions

Thanks
Aitch

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW1VF8eS4Ac

I didnt watch all of the video, but i think this one will give you a good idea of what you need to know and how to do it. at least to get started with arduino, also go to www.arduino.cc to learn.

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

the programming side of stuff really is beyond me, I can just cope with the GUI to set things up
ill follow the video link from hobby king parrot fashion if it works great if not ill just NAZA it

its a shame these aren't available with working GPS and pre loaded with firmware

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

http://panoramaic.se/configurator/2.1/

the above link is a easy to use tool, you need to know all the stats about your bird to use it, i recommend that you read up on multiwii, its the most powerful open source FC software out there in the form of functionality and expansion, as well as stability.

you are not required to do any programming, but what I tried showing you is how configure the existing programming to your specific bird. the reason for this is because multiwii is designed to use any number of sensors and flight configurations, from uni-copter to octocopter with anything from a simple gyroscope to gyro/acc/baro/compass/GPS configuration. it also allows you to use almost any TX/RX combo you can imagine from old analog systems to new RSSI enabled telemetry gathering super digital doppler radar systems (ok, i jest, slightly), and it has to do all this while maintaining a small software footprint within the arduino hardware.

hence the configuration.

all you need to do is open the config.h tab within aurdino, uncomment the type of bird you have (quad, octo, etc) and which sensors you have. to uncomment you simply remove the // in front of the statement.

it does require some reading, it may require a little patience as you connect

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

thanks Torvin that's starting to make sense now

richi555

Post by richi555 »

Hi.
I have problem with me MTK GPS Module on MultiWii PRO Flight Controller from HK.
At first I connect me flight controller to PC and it was working. After that I connect GPS modul (flight controller was still connected to PC) and flight controller was shutting down. Then I find error. I make mistake, because I change power cable from GPS module (+5V to GND and GND to VDD).
After that I connect GPS module correctly, and enabled it in config.h
Flight controller is working correctly and GPS module is blinking but really faint-red.
If I disconnect USB and connect only power supply flight controller is working correctly but GPS is not blinking.
In software Multiwiiconfig I see ACC, BARO, MAG, GPS with green and sonar RED. But GPS shows all values in zero (in room and outside it is same)
Can help me somebody? Is GPS module bad or is there some others problem?

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

if you wired it backwards and gave it power theres a good possibility you fried the circuit.

gompf-2

Post by gompf-2 »

Hi,
if you used only the usb port to power the board at the 1st try you shoud be lucky as normaly the mainboard is fused/fast enough in case of short (I always use the hub of my keyboard because it´s <100mA). I don´t know the FW-version on the MTK they ship/how bright the LED shoud be, have you waited a few minutes for a fix? Sometimes coldstart takes >3min on my MTK3339/chip antenna when it´s cloudy.

Regards,
gompf

Aitch

Post by Aitch »

all this waiting is really doing my head in now
ordered from hobbyking 3 weeks ago believing back order and would be available within 14 days
as of yet, hobbyking cannot advise a date when this will be back instock...

GRRRRRRR :o

skoubri

Post by skoubri »

Here another owner of this board.. posted already some threads with some questions... First impressions are super, as this flies really well with ready made code on Q450 frame... some fine tunning and should be perfect!!.. Today tried with about 6 Beaufort air and the ALT HOLD worked really well +/- 1,5m... Need sometunning in fast distractions as they REALLLY can make it fall down! (still searching why..)

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

Aitch, im waiting on some ESC's from hobbyking for just over 3 weeks now, i feel you.