New AMA requirement- pilot must be able to deactivate

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

New AMA requirement- pilot must be able to deactivate stabilization gyros

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/560.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ATTITUDE FLIGHT STABILIZATION SYSTEMS are designed to maintain intended model aircraft flight attitudes. The pilot can program and activate a system to stabilize yaw, pitch, or roll or any one attitude or combination of attitudes. Systems are often based on inertial motion sensors utilizing 3-axis gyros and 3-axis accelerometers for attitude stabilization.

b) AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate programmed flight stabilization and autopilot systems at any time during flight and resume manual control of the model aircraft.

e) STABILIZATION & AUTOPILOT SYSTEMS MAY BE USED FOR/TO:
• Stabilization/automatically stabilize aircraft to level flight when control sticks are centered.
• (rest is autopilot I think)

d) Pilots usually choose to incorporate stabilization and autopilot systems for model aircraft flying to enhance flight performance, correct bad tendencies of the model aircraft, maintain stability in windy weather, establish precision heading holds for takeoffs/landings, flight training for novice pilots, create a steady flight platform for cameras, and generally just to make an airplane easier and safer to fly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the letter of this demands that any gyro stabilization system, even if just used to stabilize in the wind, be able to be deactivated from the TX, under penalty of their insurance not being honored (that's the way I read this next part)

************************************************** ***********************************
AMA is not and will not be responsible for model aircraft operations conducted outside of AMA’s safety program and will not be held responsible for the actions of these non‐participating pilots.
************************************************** *******************************

Sebbi

Re: New AMA requirement- pilot must be able to deactivate

Post by Sebbi »

I hope my insurance company doesn't have such strange requirements. How would a copter fly without a gyro? If the insurance also covers your model destruction due to crashes caused by flying without a gyro, fine :D

It's as strange as the requirement (in Germany) to have a second pilot who can always take over when you do FPV flights, because "being in the aircraft" via videolink doesn't count as line of sight flying :/

They most likely mean airplanes with this, right? Since they are perfectly flyable without stabilization.

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

I don't read it that way at all. They are referring to the ability to deactivate autopilot navigation, not gyro stabilization.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

rotary65 wrote:I don't read it that way at all. They are referring to the ability to deactivate autopilot navigation, not gyro stabilization.

Which SHOULD BE common sense but there are idiots born by the seconds.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

They are talking about autopilot and acc and @rotory65 it does say stabilization and that is the acc ! @copterrichie LOL amen ! AMA only covers you at ama sanctioned flying fields anyway so it really doesn't matter unless thats the only place you fly !

rotary65

Post by rotary65 »

You would be right if that was what is actually in the policy.

b) AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate programmed flight stabilization and autopilot systems at any time during flight and resume manual control of the model aircraft.

The actual AMA policy wording:
b) AMA pilots must be able to instantaneously deactivate programmed flight of autopilot systems
at any time during flight and resume manual control of the model aircraft.

The policy was misquoted by the OP and the words "stabilization and" were inserted.