camera gimbal question

dale.e

camera gimbal question

Post by dale.e »

I am brand new here, just recieved my hardware today. Still waiting on GPS, just have multiwii board atm.
this will be my first exp wtih multiwii. I have read a lot and am not sure how the camera gimbal setup will work.
I have a Hobbyking MultiWii SE V2.0 Flight Controller w/FTDI it came preloaded with FW2.1
I have not installed it or tested anything, I am building for FPV and loiter with camera aiming.

I dont know if the Multiwii will work but here is the way I would like in an ideal setup.
My hope is that the camera roll can be used in FPV to maintain some attitude adjustment to keep the camera level with flight direction.
but when I hit loiter mode I would like to have one of my sticks change over to camera aiming, with pitch going thru the camera gimbal connection and roll being diverted to yaw to turn the quadcopter. Thus I get manual aim for my camera. the reason I want to yaw rather than use a roll direct to the gimbal is to simplify the hardware, lighter less power used, less to go wrong in the hardware, one servo etc. more complicated to program but IMO better in the end.

now that I have said what I wish, how does it really work?

thanx :)

dale.e

Re: camera gimbal question

Post by dale.e »

well after fiddling with it for the weekend it does look like I might be able to make it work the way I want it to.
after about 6 months of learning to program Arduino :P

I still dont really see how the camera roll and pitch outputs are intended to work, I can make a half informed guess that it is for stablaisation when activated.
I dont think it was intended to compensate for fpv pitch issues. I set up my camera to be able to look up at a 30degree angle all the way to straight down.
The original Quad had a separate headlock gyro doing the pitch compensation for me dureing FPV and I manually aim down for landing.
I wanted to improve on this by adding a more 'look around' feel when I activated GPS hold (loiter).

I will have to look at stick mapping and figure out some way to bypass YAW when GPS hold is activated.

doughboy

Post by doughboy »

I think for what you want to do (manual aim for camera), you need to have 8 channel RX to use aux3 and aux4 (assigned to potentiometers on your transmitter) to control camera aim manually. In order to do that with your FC, your RX must use PPM sum so all 8 channel RX data goes through one pin only (not enough pin on atmega328 to handle 8 channel rx)

dale.e

Post by dale.e »

Thank you for the reply doughboy, basically your suggesting passthru on the aux 7 and 8 channels.
I am setting up CPPM but as I use FrSky tx/rx and they have a problem with 8ch CPPM I need a new RX first :(

I was hopeing more for a 'remap' of channel inputs, I may be able to do that in the TX programing with 9x ER9x firmware.
when I hit the loiter switch I want my pitch and yaw channels remapped.

For FPV - loiter off = standard mode 2 + camera pitch on an aux pot with stabalisation
For look around - loiter on = yaw channel remaped to right stick 'left/right' movement + camera pitch remaped to right stick 'fwd/back'