I need your opinion.

Alexinparis

I need your opinion.

Post by Alexinparis »

I started this forum because different information was too much merged inside a single post.

It's difficult to develop each days 5 pages inside the same post and to follow a bug code discussion merged with a picture & video stream or an ESC problem. I think each topic deserves its own flow.

As suggested, there are several options:

• use rc-groups blogs to separate things
    - my pros: most things stay on rc-groups
    - my cons: a nice topic spider net shared on several users with lots of links to be aware of

• use google code repository to put other things than code, especially use the wiki feature
    - my pros: nice and clear presentation
    - my cons: more code oriented, not so easy to populate (dedicated svn browser) and reduce the number of contributors

• use a dedicated forum
    - my pros: classified documentation not only restricted to picture/videos post need. entropic and classified knowledge. a better topic granularity
    - my cons: another source, but I plan to move the multiwii article of radio-commande also on this site.

what's your opinion ?

mgros

Re: I need your opinion.

Post by mgros »

Alex, I think multiwii it's growing so that it need a separate forum.
There is a lot of information in rcgroups and ever will be there, but we need some order, now it's very difficult find thinngs in Rcgroups.
For code Google y the best option.

Thanks for all.

Mariano.

JussiH

Post by JussiH »

Alex,

I think this was wise move. The RCG thread will continue to live fine, but this will be a good place to gather up ressources and make threads that cater to all the different subprojects.

It does get very noisy, when all questions, suggestions, videos, setups, code dev etc is beeing discussed at once in the same thread! I lost track a while back, and I take my hat off to you for keeping up with all the questions and suggestions, and taking time to answer each and everyone!

You can be very sure your dedication and continued support is the biggest factor in making the MultiWiiCopter the huge success it already is!

I will make some docu-topics here about the different thing I have been working lately - but it will be a while - IMU and Mega shield is eating all my time these days!

Maybe a good idea to make a FAQ-section which is not open to posting - but with content beeing submitted by all the different thread-owners or people who take time to write documentation!

GitHub looks good I think. GoogleCode is a bit limited....Hosting it here could be an option as well!

Anyway - thanks again for all your hard work. I am very glad to see a dedicated forum beeing administrated by the creator!

Keep up the good work!

Jussi

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

Yep, I agree. You've created a marvel of a platform, and all of us want to talk about it.

RCG will cool down and become manageable for new users just stepping in to check things out. Superusers will find themselves here shortly after 8-)

I think you should add a branch for the guide bloggers like kinderkram, rc420, berkeley, etc. Not to replace the work at RCG, but to link to them so those resources can be worked into future info.

love this forum!!
spag

mk-Thor

Post by mk-Thor »

a separate forum is the best way. rc group thread is totally confusing, we take it as such only the old mikrokopter thread, unbelievable.

now missing is a wiki as a knowledge database.

good job!!!

sukalo

Post by sukalo »

I, to think that separate forum is a great idea to keep things organised. Thread on RcG is a mess!

marddi

Post by marddi »

A dedicated forum is great! I hope it will grow fast. But I would like some other topics - like "flight behavior" or one for general things which are not necessarily hardware related.

marddi

bmw330i

Post by bmw330i »

I like this forum, better for me than trying to track all the comments in all the threads on RCG.
Thank you for creating the BB
David

Berkely

Post by Berkely »

Hi Alex,

I have to admit it, I totally lost track in the RC groups thread. It's too difficult to find the "jewels" between the "I received my motors but waiting for my ESC's" posts. :(

So I really hope this forum will provide a better platform for beginners, experienced or "just sit back & watch the movies" user.

Looking forward to the future of this place.

Best regards,thank you & success.

Berkely

dodecopter

Post by dodecopter »

Berkely wrote:Hi Alex,

I have to admit it, I totally lost track in the RC groups thread. It's too difficult to find the "jewels" between the "I received my motors but waiting for my ESC's" posts. :(

So I really hope this forum will provide a better platform for beginners, experienced or "just sit back & watch the movies" user.

Looking forward to the future of this place.

Best regards,thank you & success.

Berkely

+1

and thank you for creating this wii-arduino-thing, and this board.

btw did you ask nintendo for permission of using their trademark "wii" in forum-name ?

here in germany you would soon have letters from advocates claiming payment for abuse a trademark. dont know, if your country is affected of this "mafia of law" too.
but i think it would be better to ask nintendo for permission to use the name wii for this projekt,
so that this forum and its name will not be killed by the greed of money .

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Yes, it's a risk.
I don't think it's negative for nintendo, but I would find immediately another name if needed, even if 3 letters merged inside a word is probably a very subjective similitude.

spagoziak

Post by spagoziak »

Alex, you may want to paste a short message and a link in the bottom of your RCG replies to remind people to head here. The WMC thread on RCG is still pretty busy, which means this forum hasn't taken off yet. Probably because many of the heavy users missed your post?

spag

foomatic

Post by foomatic »

spagoziak wrote:Alex, you may want to paste a short message and a link in the bottom of your RCG replies to remind people to head here.

I was about to suggest the same. Some people may not have seen your original announcement or simply forgot this forum exists and need a reminder.

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

spagoziak wrote:Alex, you may want to paste a short message and a link in the bottom of your RCG replies to remind people to head here. The WMC thread on RCG is still pretty busy, which means this forum hasn't taken off yet. Probably because many of the heavy users missed your post?

spag

You're right, I indicated also the link on the first post, but I will create a temporarily signature.

sukalo

Post by sukalo »

Alexinparis wrote:
spagoziak wrote:Alex, you may want to paste a short message and a link in the bottom of your RCG replies to remind people to head here. The WMC thread on RCG is still pretty busy, which means this forum hasn't taken off yet. Probably because many of the heavy users missed your post?

spag

You're right, I indicated also the link on the first post, but I will create a temporarily signature.

That is a great idea!

Lafayette

Post by Lafayette »

All I can say is that in 5 minutes, just on the home page I found what took me weeks on the RCgroups thread to find, and found more concise info I had not yet discovered.With 500 plus pages on the MultiWiiCopter (previously TriWiiCopter) to sift through and find the info I needed, is a daunting task for a newbie with interest in the WiiCopter.
I am happy for one to have access to the info on this site. As mentioned by others, it is so difficult to sift through so many non related comments, that it makes one want to give up trying to find anything in 500 pages of postings. That by default drives people to ask the same questions over and over, because they cannot find the info they need right away.
A place where I can read and learn!
No more excuses for me, I know where to look now! It is all going to be in here!
This is fantastic!
Your project is so interesting and it is growing so fast that it deserves its own home, no doubt.
THANK YOU ALEX.
C'est un plaisir d'avoir acces a tant de talent et imagination. je reve de ma prochaine visite en France et de faire une video sur notre dame, les ponts de la Seine et bien sur de la Bretagne, mon pays d'origine...Avec mon Wii"T" bien sur!
Lafayette.

captaingeek

Post by captaingeek »

Hi Alex. This is great! Nice clean forum, easy to ready, and no ad's all over the place. Love the smilies too!

:lol:

JussiH

Post by JussiH »

Once again: Thanks for your dedication and hard work to meet all the suggestions and demands. It must be hard work catering for all. The 1.6 version is looking very good I think!

I have a few suggestions to make - since you asked for opinions.... ;)

Just because me and everybody is pushing for integration of all sorts of new sensors and stuff, I think there are some basic stuff that I would hope to see happen before moving to new functions, sensors and goals.

My first wish would be a seperate PID-set for stable and accel offset/trim in GUI, so I dont have to fiddle with Stunt modes and mix Flightmode switch to mode channel for good autolevel.

I do support your KISS priniciple on the GUI, but I think better results could be acheived on the autolevel, if it could be custumized a little more: Especially the accel offset is very needed, I think. I realize this adds complexity to the setup procedure, but there are always tradeoffs.... ;)

Second wish (For Mega version): Better separation of modes (acro, stable, superStable/heighthold) A mix between 3-pos and 2-pos switch would give up to 6 different mode selections and still leave 2 channels for camera control...

And although this copter already flies great in acro mode and pretty good in stable, my general opinion would be to perfect the autolevel/Heading Hold modes before pushing further for altitude hold, GPS and sonars...

Thanks

Jussi

bradleyk

Post by bradleyk »

hi,
great work
point65 and i have got the sonar working on an interrupt

Code: Select all

unsigned long pulseTime = 0; // stores the pulse in Micro Seconds
unsigned long distance = 0; // variable for storing the distance (cm)

void setup() {
pinMode(3, OUTPUT); // set init pin 3 as output
pinMode(2, INPUT); // set echo pin 2 as input
attachInterrupt(0, sonar,FALLING );
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(3, HIGH); // send 10 microsecond pulse
delayMicroseconds(6); // wait 10 microseconds before turning off (delay 6us + 4us for DW)
digitalWrite(3, LOW); // stop sending the pulse 4us
pulseTime = micros();
   delay(100);
}

void sonar()
{
distance =  (micros()-pulseTime)/58 ; // Distance = pulse time / 58 to convert to cm.
}

mgros

Post by mgros »

bradleyk wrote:hi,
great work
point65 and i have got the sonar working on an interrupt

Code: Select all

unsigned long pulseTime = 0; // stores the pulse in Micro Seconds
unsigned long distance = 0; // variable for storing the distance (cm)

void setup() {
pinMode(3, OUTPUT); // set init pin 3 as output
pinMode(2, INPUT); // set echo pin 2 as input
attachInterrupt(0, sonar,FALLING );
}

void loop()
{
digitalWrite(3, HIGH); // send 10 microsecond pulse
delayMicroseconds(6); // wait 10 microseconds before turning off (delay 6us + 4us for DW)
digitalWrite(3, LOW); // stop sending the pulse 4us
pulseTime = micros();
   delay(100);
}

void sonar()
{
distance =  (micros()-pulseTime)/58 ; // Distance = pulse time / 58 to convert to cm.
}

Very interesting, I'm working with the same idea but with different implementation, still in development. I need to solve no echo situations.
More things to test.!!!

bradleyk

Post by bradleyk »

with this if there is no echo then it will just keep the old distance
and it won't waste time using pulsein

mgros

Post by mgros »

bradleyk wrote:with this if there is no echo then it will just keep the old distance
and it won't waste time using pulsein

Thats the issue!!. We need to know when there are no echo in order to take some decisions and not control with a unreal distance.

Pulsein is always a bad solution as you know is a waste of time.

bradleyk

Post by bradleyk »

it would be quite easy using a flag,
each tine you set a flag to true when you send the trigger, unless it was all ready true (then it didn't receive a echo)
then on echo set it to false,

if no echo since last trigger

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

Just my opinion, situations like this has a way of becoming a cult or fad, like the Hula Hoop. If I may suggest adding a programmer's forum (corner).