Front Right motor problem on Hexa

cestb

Front Right motor problem on Hexa

Post by cestb »

Hi all,

i'm new on the board but i fly my Hexa MW since a few weeks. It's a big Home made Hexa + (2.5Kg or more), 80cm of diameter, MW 1.9, Seeeduino Mega, Allinone, camera gimbals ...
It flew perfectly until last week.

But now, i've a problem, it happened twice :

I could not say which one happened first but the front right motor stops and i could not control the Hexa anymore which stays stable and lands (a little bit to quickly but other motors turns).
Each time, i desarm and re-arm and the Hexa flies normally. It happened near or far from the transmitter.

I have some questions :
How can i be sure that the Hexa went into safemode ?
Could "a motor stop" put the copter into safe mode ?

Any idea suggestions ?

Thks in advance.

Seb
Last edited by cestb on Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hamburger

Re: Failsafe problem ?

Post by Hamburger »

cestb wrote:How can i be sure that the Hexa went into safemode ?

attach an LCD display or your smartphone (via Bluetooth or serial cable) and use the LCDconfiguration menu or the telemetry display . Both do include the display of the counters for failsafe events, i2c errors and one other specific timing problem.

cestb

Post by cestb »

So if i understand, when problem occurs, i connect to my Hexa and look a the telemetry. Am i right ?

UndCon

Post by UndCon »

Yes you can connect a LCD to read values (and change settings)

It went into failsafe if you lost control from radio and copter went down by itself - if it didn't it would fall from the sky without any control at all.
If the descent is a bit quick you can rise the value in code (i think it is 200 above min throttle as default)
Try to increase by 50 or so and try again by testing failsafe

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Yes. But no reset and no poercycle inbetween.

cestb

Post by cestb »

Ok but it didn't loose radio control because i could disarm it...

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

I think by fail safe hes referring to the motors shutting themselves off via the ESC, as it does when it loses sync. am i wrong?

cestb

Post by cestb »

Yes, may be i've two problems :
Motor loses sync and esc cut
Copter runs into failsafe but i don't know why...

the only thing si that it happens in the same time.

Just one question : is it possible that failsafe has a bug and one motor stop when copter runs into it ? It will not help to understand why i run into failsafe but it could explain why one motor stop (and always the same).

mr.rc-cam

Post by mr.rc-cam »

Just one question : is it possible that failsafe has a bug and one motor stop when copter runs into it ? It will not help to understand why i run into failsafe but it could explain why one motor stop (and always the same).

FWIW, most modern R/C Rx's won't allow the MWC failsafe to activate because they continue to produce valid R/C pulses when the link is broken. So in some installations the failsafe conditions would be what you programmed into the R/C system.

Best thing to do is to test your failsafe on the ground (hold the model tightly, be safe!) to see what happens when the link is lost. What you see in the test may help you analyze the problems you are having.

- Thomas

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

A quick test would be to disable the Failsafe and test BUT be careful of a run-away-copter situation.

cestb

Post by cestb »

Ok, i will test first without props ;)

cestb

Post by cestb »

So, i made a test tonight :
Problem occured one more time. So crashed one more time...
I disarm with no problem. Touched nothing else, All lipos left connected.
I've connected Copter to my PC and something happened : ESC reinitialization like i connect Lipo !!!
I see nothing special in the GUI.
To see radio output in GUI, i move Ail and Elv stick. Somethnig else happened : I could arm and disarm copter with Ail stick like with Rud stick !!!

I'm lost now... Any idea ?

kos

Post by kos »

cestb wrote:I've connected Copter to my PC and something happened : ESC reinitialization like i connect Lipo !!!
I see nothing special in the GUI.

To see radio output in GUI, i move Ail and Elv stick. Somethnig else happened : I could arm and disarm copter with Ail stick like with Rud stick !!!

I'm lost now... Any idea ?

esc init only occurs when the board is power up .. what was the status led just before the ESC reinitialization ?

isolate parts and do some individual sanity tests ... and also check for any short cuts that might accurs during flight.

cestb

Post by cestb »

I had an idea tonight (instead of sleeping ;))

Is it possible that it was the seeeduino auto reset function which do that ?

I will try without auto reset to see if it changes something. I have changed the motor too and i've verified connections.
So if it doesn't work, i should may be buy another seeeduino...

cestb

Post by cestb »

Is there any reason that i could arm and disarm with Ail and with rudder ?

I don't see anything that could make a shortcut.

I will try without auto reset and the new motor and will see.

mlebret

Post by mlebret »

cestb wrote:Is there any reason that i could arm and disarm with Ail and with rudder ?

A forgotten 100% mix from Ail to RUD.

Concerning your inFlight motor cut-off, check ESC settings on culprit motor, check wiring (loose plug), swap ESC.

Attach your quad to the ground,
Verify FailSafe work: Arms the motors, cut power on your transmitter and wait for failsafe activation (5 sec delay then power increase to failsafe setting, motor cut off after programmed descent time).

MLB

cestb

Post by cestb »

Hi,

i could say why exactly but it works now.
It was the motor or the auto reset function of the seeeduino.

But i could always arm and disarm with Ail channel. No mixing in my radio, i've tried a new program and it's the same.
It's not very dangerous because i never put my stick in such position but it's strange.
If i look in the GUI, when i put full right ail, i can see only right ail channel moving and motors arm. So, it's in the soft but where???

Thks in advance.

mlebret

Post by mlebret »

cestb wrote:Hi,

But i could always arm and disarm with Ail channel. No mixing in my radio, i've tried a new program and it's the same.
It's not very dangerous because i never put my stick in such position but it's strange.
If i look in the GUI, when i put full right ail, i can see only right ail channel moving and motors arm. So, it's in the soft but where???

Thks in advance.

Good bug pick,

I can confirm the Low throttle/right aileron arming-disarming bug on my mode 2 Futaba setup. I can also confirm that I have no mix between Ail and Yaw.

MultiWii 2.0 p2

MLB

cestb

Post by cestb »

Ok, i'm not alone ;)
I will post in the correct section for that

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

http://www.multiwii.com/
The engine launch is done by tilting the yaw stick right while having the throttle stick in minimum position.
(An alternative method was also introduced recently: roll stick right while having the throttle stick in minimum position.)
this was introduced for tricopter setups (with this, the rear propeller won't touch the ground)

cestb

Post by cestb »

Ok thks Alex, i've seen but i didn't thought that was active in Hexa mode.
So that s great, i've no more problem.
Bye

cestb

Re: Front Right motor problem on Hexa

Post by cestb »

Hi,

my problem came back... So, i've bought a new ESC to see if it could be that...
One thing, it's not the code, i'm in MW 2.0 now...

cestb

Re: Front Right motor problem on Hexa

Post by cestb »

Hi,

i was lucky because i think i've found my problem : I use a bec to power my board and my rx. Bec's plug which come from the lipo have bad contact (cut wire). Yesterday, after changing my ESC, i try to connect lipo and nothing... After a small research, i found this wire problem...
Sorry to have made a post for a such stupid problem... :oops: