arduino "out of sync" error

motoultima1

arduino "out of sync" error

Post by motoultima1 »

First post. If this has been discussed earlier, I apologize. Not sure if this is where to post this problem.

I have two Crius Multiwii V1.0 boards. They used to work great. Over the past couple of weeks, I cannot upload anything to them without getting the following error: avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00. Tried to upload countless times.

Multiwii gui recognizes the com port but cannot read anything from it and only a single arrow displays instead of the quad image. Quad spools up and lifts off but is totally unstable.

I have tried all the sugestions that I have read so far online. These include:
- new ftdi board
- ensuring correct board selected, even trying different boards
- ensuring correct com port selected
- using different programmers in arduino
- burning bootloader
- re installing ftdi drivers
- re installing arduino, including older versions. Nothing helpful on the arduino site.
- re installing multiwii 2.3, including older versions
- dis/en able usb port in Win 8.1 - I know the usb ports work as anything else hooked up to them works.
- disconnecting everything to board (except ftdi)
- unplugging/plugging in usb cable while compiling
- changing computers
- changing baud rates in Device Manager and arduino serial monitor (to match)
- there isn't a reset button on the ftdi or Crius boards

FTDI leds light up. Crius board leds light up.

Help please!

BirdShredder

Re: arduino "out of sync" error

Post by BirdShredder »

so:
- it runs (but probably bad PID values)
- doesn't respond to serial communications.
- Can't be programmed.

Have you hooked anything else on the serial port? Could there be a short around there?

motoultima1

Post by motoultima1 »

Thanks for your response BirdShredder.

Have a usb wireless mouse, that works. Can hook up my watch to recharge and also my mp3 player. When I hook up the ftdi and check Device Manager, it says it's working properly. My MinimOsd does not work anymore either, although power goes to it as well. I don't think it is the usb ports. Kinda sure it is not the ftdi (I have been using a brand new one). When I check the Arduino as it loads, it seems to be able to send data, but does not receive:

avrdude: Send: 0 [30] [20]
avrdude: Recv: <---- nothing here
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00

avrdude done. Thank you.

Don't know how to check for shorts. I'm about ready to buy another FC board, but I don't want the same problem.

BirdShredder

Post by BirdShredder »

I meant the serial port on your FC board. Likely where you hook up the ftdi cable. Any bend pins? Bottom of the FC maybe touching something metal?

motoultima1

Post by motoultima1 »

I thought of that already. Pins are straight and I have also re-soldered them. Both boards are clear from any metal touching them. Spent another couple of hours trying all the things I tried before. Still stumped! Thanks for asking though.

motoultima1

Post by motoultima1 »

I have just installed Arduino 1.5.7. I am getting new diagnostic messages. They are:

avrdude: ser_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding

Both boards getting this. Tried both ftdis. Funny both of my Crius boards went at the same time (if that is what has happened).

Any other thoughts or ideas?

motoultima1

Post by motoultima1 »

Haven't got any more responses for a while now. My two ftdis do not work either. I am also trying to update my Minimosd. Same issue with the Crius boards.

Ended up buying another fc board with a built in usb port (no ftdi requirement). It works amazingly. Spent three times as much though.

Would really like to know what happened though.

quadcopterNewb

Post by quadcopterNewb »

hi motoultima1, I am having the same problem at the moment, any progress on this problem?

motoultima1

Post by motoultima1 »

No, haven't received any help on this. I have changed flight controller boards and am no longer using a multiwii. Tried an Openpilot CC3D and will be trying a Naze32 soon, in case you are asking.

Good luck on finding a solution.

brewski

Post by brewski »

I had same issue after installing updated Arduino IDE for Win8. Worked fine with previous Arduino 1.0.5 running program in Compatibility Mode in Win8.

Sync error can be one of four things.

1. USB driver. Arduino IDE installs USB drivers which are good for Arduino Uno etc but not necessarily correct for the USB-Serial interface chips on our MW FCs or even FTDI USB-Serial cables. Look in System Tools> Hardware & check Comm port is correctly detected (unplug & reconnect USB). If not detected or incorrectly detected inspect the chip used for USB-Serial & Google Website for latest drivers.

2. You have not set board correctly in Arduino IDE. E.G. a 328P based board is ArduinoPro/Pro Mini, 2560 based is Arduino Mega 2560

3 You have not selected the correct serial port (the one you saw in Hardware >Comm Ports

4. You have not selected correct programmer. Should be AVR ISP