Uni project with MultiWii

Andil

Uni project with MultiWii

Post by Andil »

Hi guys, my name is Andil and I'm new here.I'm studying aerospace engineering in London.

I'm currently working on a project which is basically studying aircraft dynamics.I have a model glider and I need to record the motion of it,my supervisor suggest me to use the wii controller (sensors and accelerometes) and I will be using Multiwii to get some graphs for the analysis.

My question is :
Do I have to put the wii accelerometers on the plane?
Which arduino should I get?
is the arduino going to be set on the plane?

Thanks for your time,I still a little bit confused about it and I hope you guys can give me some tips.
Andil

PS.My next stage of the project is to make the plane RC with a nuncuck. :)

sirbow2

Re: Uni project with MultiWii

Post by sirbow2 »

gyoros atleast, but acc would be better.
uno, nano, etc
yes

you may just want to get a mpu6050(also supported by MWC) from ebay and do it that way. much easier.

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

Hello,
in your position I would probably get finished board with all sensors (eg. Crius AIO Pro), since this boards are basically Arduino (Uno/ProMini or Mega) with all sensors and necessary voltage and level converters. So the only task for you is to write necessary SW (or modify existing MWII). And in the end, price of finished board is probably lower than buying separate elements and combining them, only thing you should probably add to the price is some telemetry option (XBee, APC220, 3DRadio) to ground sample flight parameters.
But you can also search this forum since some time ago EOSBandi and (I think) Sebbi discused option to sample all sensors at full speed and save measurement on SD card....

Regards
Andrej

Andil

Post by Andil »

Thanks a lot guys for your replies.
I still doing some research about it.Is it a big difference in price?because I have to use the wii's sensors and my uni budget is not very high. :(
For now I need to put the board on the plane and move it manually in order to see if I can get out some data on my laptop.
-So if the arduino+wii acc and gyro are going to be on the plane how can I communicate with them? Bluetooth?
-Multiwii works with the arduino software right?
-However if I get the crius aio pro,I dont need to get a wii controller or anything right?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
Regards

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I have a model glider and I need to record the motion of it

Do you want to just record the datas in some media OR you want real time recording/displaying the readings.
I'm asking because are two totally different options . ;)

Andil

Post by Andil »

NikTheGreek wrote:
I have a model glider and I need to record the motion of it

Do you want to just record the datas in some media OR you want real time recording/displaying the readings.
I'm asking because are two totally different options . ;)

Either case would be good however my project involve a wind tunnel so the glider is going to be in it and real time data recording/displaying is what I really need.

sirbow2

Post by sirbow2 »

i would think you could use blutooth at that range, and then use some program to save the serial data + display it (can the MWC GUI save it?)

Andil

Post by Andil »

sirbow2 wrote:i would think you could use blutooth at that range, and then use some program to save the serial data + display it (can the MWC GUI save it?)

Thanks for the reply.
I was playing around with the MWC GUI on my laptop today,I cant see any save function(?),I think I could just print screen it,right?unless I need to log the data.
About the Bluetooth is it possible to use my laptop or do I need an android device?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Andil wrote:About the Bluetooth is it possible to use my laptop or do I need an android device?

Both

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Win gui have logging functions.
http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/

Supports V2.1

Andil

Post by Andil »

NikTheGreek wrote:
Andil wrote:About the Bluetooth is it possible to use my laptop or do I need an android device?

Both

Good news,thanks.

PatrikE wrote:Win gui have logging functions.
http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/

Supports V2.1

Wow thanks a lot,I'm going to use Win gui from now on.Now I need to get the right arduino or board in order to do some bench test before going to the wind tunnel.
I just realize that software is made by EOSBandi nice :) I'm going to put all you guys in my acknowledgement :D

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

First of all , in order to buy /built the right Arduino board for your needs , you have to make a plan on what kind of sensors you will use , how you will make the transmittion from the in-plane board to your laptop...etc...
Once defined all this parameters we can suggest you the best - cheapest board you will need. ;)
How are your soldering skills ?

Andil

Post by Andil »

NikTheGreek wrote:First of all , in order to buy /built the right Arduino board for your needs , you have to make a plan on what kind of sensors you will use , how you will make the transmittion from the in-plane board to your laptop...etc...
Once defined all this parameters we can suggest you the best - cheapest board you will need. ;)
How are your soldering skills ?

Thanks for the reply.

I have done quite a lot of engineering stuff in the uni so my soldering skill are good.Tomorrow I'm getting a used wii mote so I can get from it the sensors.

Sensors I need: 3 acc + gyro from a wii controller(cant get the crius aio pro too expensive for me)
Trasmission : bluetooth maybe with a BT board(?)

why do I need the soldering?and do I need any kind of batteries for the arduino?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

why do I need the soldering?

Tomorrow I'm getting a used wii mote so I can get from it the sensors.

Thats why ;)

do I need any kind of batteries for the arduino?

Yes.... usually 5Volt DC depending on your Arduino board

Andil

Post by Andil »

Oh I see,I have full access to my uni lab so the soldering bit should take long. :D
I have been looking through the arduino boards and so far I understood that:

-If I get the mini and I will need also a sparkfun usb programmer and the 5V volt(would a battery 9v connector enough?)
-if I get the uno I just need a 5V connector plug (maybe?)
right?I need to decide quickly :S

PS.here the glider by the way :) (not too sure where to put all the boards on :S)
air rider epo.PNG
The glider :)
(45.07 KiB) Not downloaded yet

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

If I get the mini and I will need also a sparkfun usb programmer and the 5V volt(would a battery 9v connector enough?)

Yes...

if I get the uno I just need a 5V connector plug (maybe?)

You will need something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-9V-2-5mm- ... 2576eb32cb
to power your board.

Don't forget that the two boards have different dimensions.
Buy the one that fit your needs.

Andil

Post by Andil »

NikTheGreek wrote:
If I get the mini and I will need also a sparkfun usb programmer and the 5V volt(would a battery 9v connector enough?)

Yes...

if I get the uno I just need a 5V connector plug (maybe?)

You will need something like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-PCS-9V-2-5mm- ... 2576eb32cb
to power your board.

Don't forget that the two boards have different dimensions.
Buy the one that fit your needs.

Thanks NikTheGreek.I will be getting the uno this week and start my bench test.
Nik how come you know so much about these boards,have you build already something like this?

About the BT connection..the wii mote has the BT already right?if I just use the circuit board and solder it on the arduino do I need to provide power on the wii board as well?
If I want to add a nunchuck and put some servos on the glider to make it RC will the arduino UNO enough for it?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Nik how come you know so much about these boards,have you build already something like this?

Actually i'm building my one boards based on ATMEGA 328(Arduino IC).
I'm not that expert as you think , believe me , i m reading a lot of this forum and other similar , asking questions. ;)

About the BT connection..the wii mote has the BT already right?

You can find more infos here http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wiimote

if I just use the circuit board and solder it on the arduino do I need to provide power on the wii board as well?

I dont know :oops:

If I want to add a nunchuck and put some servos on the glider to make it RC will the arduino UNO enough for it?

Yes

Nunchuck and all the sensors connected to the board through I2C protocol which means that you will need only two cables from your sensors to the UNO ( SCL - SDA ) in parallel.

Andil

Post by Andil »

Thanks a lot Nik.

In term of accelerometer and gyroscope accuracy, which one is better: the wii mote,the motion+ or the nunchuck? I was thinking about using the nunchuck acc and the motion plus gyro or maybe the wii mote acc.....hmmm I'm not really sure.I have seen than on the quadrocopter with the multiwii people are using the nunchuck and the motion plus just because of it size,right?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

In term of accelerometer and gyroscope accuracy, which one is better: the wii mote,the motion+ or the nunchuck? I was thinking about using the nunchuck acc and the motion plus gyro or maybe the wii mote acc.....hmmm I'm not really sure.I have seen than on the quadrocopter with the multiwii people are using the nunchuck and the motion plus just because of it size,right?

depending on the sensors each module has.
In my opinion the best approach is to define the type-brand of the sensors , read the datasheet and compare them.

In Multi wii we are using MP+Nunchuck , to be honest i dont know why but i'm sure that the guys that started this project know exactly what they are doing !!!

I think that the best option for you is the one mentioned above because you can find help and ready to work code here.

Andil

Post by Andil »

Ok Nik.I will get those.....erm whats the name of the cable to connects different PCBs?jumpers?beacuse I think I need those cables.

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Andil

Post by Andil »

yea Nik,thanks do I really need that btw?or is i possible to use the cables from their circuit boards?
By the way I just received my Arduino Uno so I'm now ready to start my bench test :)

I found this website about how to connect all the boards... http://translate.google.at/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

do I really need that btw?or is i possible to use the cables from their circuit boards?

Not really....you can always solder the connection using simple cables ;)

By the way I just received my Arduino Uno so I'm now ready to start my bench test :)

Great news...Welcome to the CLUB !!!! :D

I found this website about how to connect all the boards... http://translate.google.at/translate?u= ... =&ie=UTF-8

Seems to be OK..but remember that you can find a lot of informations about your project in MultiWii site ...and of course HERE !!! ;)

Andil

Post by Andil »

NikTheGreek wrote:
do I really need that btw?or is i possible to use the cables from their circuit boards?

Not really....you can always solder the connection using simple cables ;)

Great news...Welcome to the CLUB !!!! :D

Seems to be OK..but remember that you can find a lot of informations about your project in MultiWii site ...and of course HERE !!! ;)

loled

Thanks Nik.

Now I have all the bits and I can start putting all thos PCBs together.....I have a rough idea how to do that but I'm still a little bit worried :S

anyways.....if I'm going to use the MWii WinGui do I have to upload the sketch code on the arduino right(.pde file right) ??but I can't find it in the folder
:(....do I have to use the one from Multiwii??

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

do I have to upload the sketch code on the arduino right

Go there and download tha latest ARDUINO version 1.0.2 http://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/software

then go here to download the latest MultiWii dev version r1240 (2012/10/31)..... http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/downl ... p&can=2&q=
Unzip ..etc.... and upload the files from the MultiWii folder to microcontroller using the Arduino IDE you downloaded earlier.
The 2nd folder is MultiWiiConf where the GUI located...

Simple ;)

Andil

Post by Andil »

ok,I've got that but I'm using MW wingui which is different from the Multiwii.The sketch/code that I have to upload on the arduino is it from the MultiWii config(the .pde file)?

Thats the only thing....and also when I upload the .pde on arduino,I heard that I have to modify the code according to the settings of the quadrocopter, so because I'm not using any motor should I configure my arduino as a copter?

One of my classmates told that I should use a breadboard because it simpler he says....

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

The sketch/code that I have to upload on the arduino is it from the MultiWii config(the .pde file)?

In the downloaded folder there are two subfolders
MultiWii and MultiWiiConf.
Open the first one and double click at the MultiWii file. Arduino IDE will open with all files in different tabs.

I heard that I have to modify the code according to the settings of the quadrocopter,

Right... Go to the config.h tab and make your changes according your hardware.
Read carefully the notes in every #define and you will understand what you do.

Remember that
//#define ........ means that this setting is not used
OR change to
#define ...... to use this setting.

One of my classmates told that I should use a breadboard because it simpler he says....

He is right.. breadboard can make things easier most of the times while you are doing tests but is not mandatory in your case.

In order to open GUI
go to the MultiWiiConf folder
Open the subfolder that corresponds in your system and double click the MultiWiiConf file.
In my case because i use Win XP i choose application.windows32 folder

Forgive me if i'm not able to give you accurate answers but i'm facing the language problem .... sorry :oops:

Andil

Post by Andil »

Nik you are A BIG help for me.I understand now.I post some pics soon when I get all the hardware set and connected. :D

EDIT:
I have changed some settings in the config.h but now when I upload it, its gives me errors in the Sensor tab!Do I have to go through all the tabs?

EDIT2:
I'm going to work with the technician of the electronics lab of my uni today.
I'm following the connection diagrams on the multiwii website and this tutorial:
http://aeroquad.com/showthread.php?1658 ... h-AeroQuad

The technician said that my soldering skill are not enough for this kind of electronics :/

Andil

Post by Andil »

Nik what SDA and SCL stand for?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Andil

Post by Andil »

Thanks...today I manage to do the soldering with the technician,but we were not sure about the connections between the wm+ and the arduino uno.

-why do I have to connect the gnd to the pin12?
-there are 7 pins on the wm+ why in the connection diagram it shows 6?are the first two pins soldered for the gnd?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

-why do I have to connect the gnd to the pin12?

NOT THE GND....you must connect the +V of the wii ;)
used for reset

-there are 7 pins on the wm+ why in the connection diagram it shows 6?are the first two pins soldered for the gnd?

I never had an original sensor ... i always use "fake" ones
so i assume that two of the pins are GND

To be sure Google it in Images and search for "wii motion plus pinout" ... i'm sure that you will find your board and the pinout ;)

Andil

Post by Andil »

Oh I see,lucky that I didn't try to connect the wm+ to the uno......btw I found from an italian blog that the v+ should not be connected to the pin 12 but to the 3.3v it cause problems he said.They spot that on the arduino forum.

so can you confirm this:
1-GND (both or just one?) > GND
2-GND
3-SDA > A5
4-NOT USED
5-SCL > A4
6-Vcc > 3.3v
7-NOT USED

We checked all the pins with the voltmeter and other instruments.Thanks a lot Nik :D

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I found from an italian blog that the v+ should not be connected to the pin 12 but to the 3.3v it cause problems he said.They spot that on the arduino forum.

In my "fake" wmp i tested both ways and i faced no problem at all.

Andil

Post by Andil »

Nik,its not working.... I2C errors are negative and very high,what should I do?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

What do you mean ?
What is not working ?

Andil

Post by Andil »

When I move the wmp and the nunchuck....the Multiwii doesnt read anything and the I2C transfer rate is negative and very high.
On the plot I can only see the Z line going up and thats it. :S

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I use 5v VCC on my WMP.
Try to enable i2c pullups in the config.

Andil

Post by Andil »

PatrikE wrote:I use 5v VCC on my WMP.
Try to enable i2c pullups in the config.

Still not working patrik,any other suggestions?
check the attachment.

UPDATE:
Its working now, the data lines were on the wrong place(A4,A5) not too sure why as I was following the connection diagram provided on this website :/
THANKS a lot Nik and Patrik for helping me to reach this stage of my project.

Next is: Is it possible to install a bluetooth shield on the arduino?
Attachments
i2c error
i2c error

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

Next is: Is it possible to install a bluetooth shield on the arduino?

Yes it is... but i dont know how :(
Open a new topic in >>> Connecting elements.

Andil

Post by Andil »

Nik,is it possible to extract the data one by one from the logger in the multiwin gui?

NikTheGreek

Post by NikTheGreek »

I dont know :(

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I think the logfile is saved as commaseparated file of some sort.

Andil

Post by Andil »

Thanks PatrikE I found it.