Crius AIOP V2 and GPS Ublox Neo-6 Problem with gps signal

lephu55

Crius AIOP V2 and GPS Ublox Neo-6 Problem with gps signal

Post by lephu55 »

GPS don't working, I don't know why?
Everything I do is ok step by step. Crius board works ok with ACC, GYO, MAG, ALT.. but only GPS don't fix signal. alt: 0 ; lat: 0. I'm also walking to a wide empty space to try catching sinal but nothing... :(
in config.h I uncomment 3 line as behide:
#define GPS_BAUD 57600
#define GPS_SERIAL 2
#define UBLOX
multiwii fw is 2.4 newest.

Somebody helps me pls! tks everybody

my setup Img:

Kbev5709

Re: Crius AIOP V2 and GPS Ublox Neo-6 Problem with gps signa

Post by Kbev5709 »

lephu55 wrote:GPS don't working, I don't know why?
Everything I do is ok step by step. Crius board works ok with ACC, GYO, MAG, ALT.. but only GPS don't fix signal. alt: 0 ; lat: 0. I'm also walking to a wide empty space to try catching sinal but nothing... :(
in config.h I uncomment 3 line as behide:
#define GPS_BAUD 57600
#define GPS_SERIAL 2
#define UBLOX
multiwii fw is 2.4 newest.

Things are not quite right.
OK, you have the GPS power hooked up to the I2C port on the FC but you are using the serial 2 port in your config.h and have your signal RX and TX hooked up to the serial port on your FC.
Also it looks like your GPS module is hooked up at the I2C port and not the serial port. If you are going to run I2C on your GPS you need to switch the signal wires on your FC to the I2C port and use the I2C config.h set up.
If you plan on using the serial port then you need to plug your wires into the serial port on your GPS and use 5vDC. That is the one with VCC, TX, RX and GND.
I think most I2C stuff runs on 3vDC and most serial stuff runs on 5vDC. Try a 5vDC source unless your manual tells you it (the GPS module) needs I2C and 3vDC.
Right now your config.h is set up to run GPS on your serial port but the signal from the GPS is coming from the I2C port.
You must get this wiring issue cleared up.
Did you enable the GPS WP statement in the config.h?
Do you have your magnetic declination entered where it belongs? (Needs to be set to the location where you will fly if different from last time, or if you are not trying to fly needs to be set to test location.)
Did you make sure that you calibrated the ACC and compass before trying to use GPS features?
Is your GPS RX wire connected to the TX pin on the FC and the GPS TX connected to the FC RX?
Was there acceptable GPS space weather on the day you tried using it?
All of that needs done too.
Also, the MW configurator will not let you know if GPS is working or not. You need to use the WIN GUI for GPS.

LutzB

Post by LutzB »

Kbev5709 wrote:Things are not quite right.
OK, you have the GPS power hooked up to the I2C port on the FC but you are using the serial 2 port in your config.h and have your signal RX and TX hooked up to the serial port on your FC.
Also it looks like your GPS module is hooked up at the I2C port and not the serial port. If you are going to run I2C on your GPS you need to switch the signal wires on your FC to the I2C port and use the I2C config.h set up.
If you plan on using the serial port then you need to plug your wires into the serial port on your GPS and use 5vDC. That is the one with VCC, TX, RX and GND.
I think most I2C stuff runs on 3vDC and most serial stuff runs on 5vDC. Try a 5vDC source unless your manual tells you it (the GPS module) needs I2C and 3vDC.
Right now your config.h is set up to run GPS on your serial port but the signal from the GPS is coming from the I2C port.
You must get this wiring issue cleared up.

Sorry to correct you, but he did connect serial 2 rx and tx with the GPS. He only took power from the I2C connector. I have no idea why, because there is also ground and VCC on the serial connector. This only makes things more complicated.

So lepus55:
Are you sure, Rx and Tx are swapped (Rx to Tx and Tx to Rx)? Did you configure the GPS unit with the right parameters for the serial port?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

LutzB wrote:Sorry to correct you, but he did connect serial 2 rx and tx with the GPS. He only took power from the I2C connector. I have no idea why, because there is also ground and VCC on the serial connector. This only makes things more complicated.

Yes he does have it hooked up like you said on the FC and I can see that, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE CONNECTION ON THE GPS MODULE HE HAS THE WIRES HOOKED UP TO THE I2C PORT ON IT.Image
Notice that the port he is hooking up to has SDA and SCL labeled on it leading me to believe that it is the I2C port. The fact that it also has TX and Rx pins is irrelevant.

The serial port on the GPS MODULE is the one that has VCC, TX, RX, and GND.
That is where he needs to hook up his wires for it to work on serial.

To make it clear, he is using the wrong port on his GPS unit and the right port on his FC for the TX and RX. (and the wrong power source as well)

This would explain why it powers up but does not exchange info with the FC. Since he is bringing 3vDC in to the GPS module at the I2C port on the module, the GPS module powers up ok because I2C uses 3vDC. It won't exchange info with the FC because the wires that should be TX and RX are sending I2C info to a serial port on the FC.

Look at the connectors on the GPS module. The serial will have only four pins like all other serial ports have. The connector he is hooking up to has six pins. The other two serial out ports have labeled pins VCC, TX RX and GND and nothing else so the builder knows how to hook wires up. One is a vertically mounted port and the other is a horizontally mounted port. He needs to switch out his plug to a four wire JST and hook up there to one of those. Then he needs to make sure TX and RX are properly crossed and he is getting the 5vDC that serial needs to work.

Just in case I'm wrong (bit I'm not) about the port he's using on his GPS module, if it is ACTUALLY hooked up to a serial port on the GPS module, all he would need to do is put his ground wire on the FC on the pin at the end position separated by three spaces from the TX/RX wires and his power wire on the next pin down to get the 5vDC needed to run the device as a serial device and make sure the TX and RX are properly crossed.

LutzB

Post by LutzB »

You are right. I could not read the labels on the first picture. Sorry for this.

Leo

Post by Leo »

I checked the picture and added the port descriptions:

Assuming the white and the yellow wire is the same I'd say the connections are correct.

lephu55

Post by lephu55 »

sorry about my image. The white and yellow wire is the same. and i took power from i2c port, it's 5v. tks LutzB, Kbev5709 and Leo replied my proplem. I will read more and trying to fix it.
6 month ago. I use Flashtool megapiratene to flash fw for this FC and GPS Ublox, I used Mission Planner to setting everything, my drone fly ok with gps hold.
now flashtool is died, the server's not working, I installed fw multiwii and try to combining with gps but it's don't work.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

lephu55 wrote:sorry about my image. The white and yellow wire is the same. and i took power from i2c port, it's 5v. tks LutzB, Kbev5709 and Leo replied my proplem. I will read more and trying to fix it.
6 month ago. I use Flashtool megapiratene to flash fw for this FC and GPS Ublox, I used Mission Planner to setting everything, my drone fly ok with gps hold.
now flashtool is died, the server's not working, I installed fw multiwii and try to combining with gps but it's don't work.

How things SHOULD be hooked up. Notice, on the GPS module I am using the CORRECT port.
Image. The port that I have crossed off is used for the remote compass that is on the GPS module and is an I2C port. The to use it you must use the I2C option in the config.h file and not the serial2 command. On your cruis aiop, the onboard compass is used and the remote compass is not. With your FC you need to use the serial port that I show.

lephu55

Post by lephu55 »

tks Kbev5709 for helping!
I have just discovered a problem. When i using arduino Uno to test gps, im connect to 5v power of arduino uno board -> the green light on GPS module is very bright which not low bright as when I connect to i2c power on FC. I will try as you help me. tks.

lephu55

Post by lephu55 »

tks everybody!
Problem solved!
I've just changed the power from i2c port 0 to the power of 1~3 series port and everything works fine. GPS's discovered 6 sats and pointing exactly my position. but i don't know why the power form i2c port working with MegaPivateEN FW :(
specials tks to Kbev5709.
Last edited by lephu55 on Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

lephu55 wrote:tks Kbev5709 for helping!
I have just discovered a problem. When i using arduino Uno to test gps, im connect to 5v power of arduino uno board -> the green light on GPS module is very bright which not low bright as when I connect to i2c power on FC. I will try as you help me. tks.

The difference in brightness is an indication that the I2C is really 3vDC and not 5vDC as everyone seems to think. You really need to run it off the correct voltage and format. The correct voltage is on your serial port second pin from the end towards the middle of the FC on the FC. The correct GPS port is either of the two four pin sockets with the markings VCC, TX, RX and GND.
Remember to cross TX and RX. Remember all the other things I said in my first reply also as they are important for your GPS to function.

lephu55

Post by lephu55 »

ok i will remember all. thank you for helping

Leo

Post by Leo »

That's great news!

However, for the record. Your prior setup should have worked just the same. I would guess that you have a defect on your FC board.
All positive pins on the Crius 2.x FC boards output 5 volts. I measured mine on the IC2 Port just to make double sure. I only fly these FC boards btw and use the 5V pins throughout.

Looking at your FC board I notice poor soldering e.g. SMD not soldered properly. Maybe the culprit lies their somewhere?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

http://www.i2c-bus.org/voltage-level/This article explains the moving in usage from 5vDC to 3.3vDC in a typical I2C device. Especially pertinent is paragraph two under the heading "Moving down the voltage scale". My explanation is that maybe his FC is a newer release than yours and is actually using the now more common 3.3vDC in its I2C circuit.