(beginner) Motors don't start... need help

lezabour

(beginner) Motors don't start... need help

Post by lezabour »

Hi,

I'm making a DYI quadcopter. I have a problem with it, the motors won't start, no matter what i do.

Here is my hardware list:
- Crius AIO Pro 2
- Motor Brushless 920kv
- Esc: Simonk 30A
- power distribution board
- Lipo 2S and 3S
- Transmitter: Specktrum DX5e
- Receiver: E-flite EFLR310013

I have update the Multiwii Firmware, and try to use the Multiwii Conf (Mac)
The transmitter and receiver are OK and Synchro.
The Multiwii Conf, can see when i use the transmitter (remote), to move. Roll, Pitch, Yaw are moving depending on what i do on transmitter. The throlle, is not moving no matter what i do.
I know motors are working, cause when i update the Multiwii Firwmare (with Adruino software), the motor are moving for 0.1seconds.

Here are some pics of my hardware and connections.

Questions:
1) Why my throlle is not moving, no matter what i do on remote (Crius AIO Throtlle is wired to the receiver in Throtlle)
2) I don't understand why my motors are not moving.

I think maybe it's a problem with the config.h in Multiwii, or a Wiring problem
Any help would be good!

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0851.JPG
IMG_0849.JPG

gregd72002

Re: (beginner) Motors don't start... need help

Post by gregd72002 »

Have you armed it?

Is gyro/acc calibrated?

Is it levelled?

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

lezabour wrote:Hi,
Any help would be good!
Thanks

I see you have +5v and ground going to the FC from both the PDB and an ESC.....WHY?? Use one or the other.
Try and make your wiring closer to this.
http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Beginners_Guide

lezabour

Post by lezabour »

Hi

Thanks for your answers!

gregd72002 ->
I have mad the calib_mag and calib_acc, so this is OK, and i can see that this is working.
What do you mean about "is it armed?" and "leveled"?
About Armed, i supposed you speak about the Esc. I have 1 bip when i put all On, depending on the different wiring sometimes i have 2 bip. I have done the calibration of ESC yesterday, but didn't change anything

Kbev5709->
I dont see in you design any wire beetween PDB and FC, is it normal?
I will try to wire like you show and let you know

Thanks

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

lezabour wrote:Hi
Kbev5709->
I dont see in you design any wire beetween PDB and FC, is it normal?
I will try to wire like you show and let you know
Thanks

On my schematic the FC is powered by ONLY the ESC 5v power. You can power with EITHER the PDB or the ESC.
That is what is wrong with your wiring. You have BOTH the PDB AND the ESC power wires hooked up to the FC. Use one or the other, not both.

You have created a ground loop and two 5v in supplies to the FC.

I am not saying that this is what is causing your other problem. Sorry.

lezabour wrote:gregd72002 ->
I have mad the calib_mag and calib_acc, so this is OK, and i can see that this is working.
What do you mean about "is it armed?" and "leveled"?
About Armed, i supposed you speak about the Esc. I have 1 bip when i put all On, depending on the different wiring sometimes i have 2 bip. I have done the calibration of ESC yesterday, but didn't change anything

I included a link in my first post that will tell you all about this stuff. Here is that link again. If you can read, it will help. If you can't read, why are you trying to build a quadcopter? http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Beginners_Guide
Go read the beginners guide already. I'm outa here.

lezabour

Post by lezabour »

Hey,

On my schematic the FC is powered by ONLY the ESC 5v power. You can power with EITHER the PDB or the ESC.

Ok i have changed that, now i only have 1 wiring for power, and works ok (power is on ;)
IMG_0863.JPG

Here is my design attached. As you can see, FC is powered threw the ESC
Question: all 4 ESC has a "triple wire" (picture attached), ground, +, data (tx or rx?)
triple wire (black,red,white) on ESC
triple wire (black,red,white) on ESC

All those 4 wires are connected to the FC. Do i have to only connect the data (tx,rx, white cable), or is it right to connect the entiere triple wire (+;-;data)(for now, i have option 2)?

I have calibrated the ESC, so normally this part should be OK.

Ok, so now, i have the throttle, pitch,roll, yaw working threw the MultiwiiConf, but still no motors spining.

I have read all the element of the multiwii wiki page, but it's very few elements, not a lot of new information.
I have some difficulties to find tutorials, because of the FC, there is not so much good Crius AIO pro tutorial or information to diy

Thanks for your help

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

So, if those pink lines are +5v from the ESC's you still have things wrong. If the pink lines are ESC signal wires you are ok (except the one that goes to the battery instead of an ESC) but your FC is not getting power that I can see.
Each ESC has five wires total (not counting the three motor out wires.) They are, +11.1v in hot and ground (that's two) and one (usually white or yellow) ESC signal wire, and +5v hot and ground (two wires.) The signal and +5v and round are in a bundle of three.
Use one of the bundled sets of wires to power the FC. Use only the single signal wire on the other three ESCs. That way, when done, you will have a total of six wires hooked up to your ESC side of the FC. You willhave four signal wires and one +5 hot and one -5 ground.

Or, you can hook up NONE of the ESC POWER +5v wires and JUST use the PDB +5v out.

Your drawing won't work the way it is. Just wire like this one. Please pay careful attention to following the wires correctly. In my drawing, ESC4 is supplying the +5v and ground to the FC. You can use the power off of ANY of the ESC's, but only one at a time. If you power from the PDB then remove the power to the FC from ALL ESCs including ESC4.
PLEASE NOTE: MY FIRST DRAWING IN MY EARLIER REPLY IS ONLY SHOWING THE POWER SCHEMATIC AND LEAVES OUT THE SIGNAL WIRES ON THE ESC's. (Because they are not part of the power circuit.)

In your config.h sketch in arduino you need to make sure that your sketch looks like this in the arm/disarm section.

Code: Select all

/********************************    ARM/DISARM    *********************************/
   /* optionally disable stick combinations to arm/disarm the motors.
     * In most cases one of the two options to arm/disarm via TX stick is sufficient */
    #define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_YAW
    //#define ALLOW_ARM_DISARM_VIA_TX_ROLL

Upload the sketch with the yaw arm enabled. Then throttle down and yaw right. Look for the arm light to light up on your FC. If you can not get the quad to arm using the yaw arming function, you don't have your transmitter properly centered. Look up the subject "centering transmitter sticks on (fill in your TX name)" on you tube and learn this first and most important step in setting up ANY multiwii (because if you don't do it it won't arm.)
I'm sorry, I just can't be any more detailed than I already am being.
Last edited by Kbev5709 on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lezabour

Post by lezabour »

Hi,

Thank you so much for your help
I'm at work now, but I will try all this tonight, and let you know;

thanks for all those details

lezabour

Post by lezabour »

HI

OK, so i have made exactly the same design as you made.
Everything seams OK.

I just have a problem with arming the ESC/MOTOR. Nothing happens when i do the arming.
I'm testing to get the centering transmitter sticks, but still not yet working

I'll try again tonight, i got the PDF for my TX (they don't talk at all about centering transmitter in the Manual, just "binding" the TX with RX).

I'll let you know

Thanks

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

Some transmitters are so cheap that they have no way to center the sticks. Yours, while not considered a cheap TX by any means, is more suited to airplanes than multirotors. With no function to properly center up your sticks (I checked the PDF myself) and only five channels, there is most likely no way this will be able to fly a multiwii quadcopter. Something else I noticed while reading the PDF was the absence of the receiver you are using with that transmitter on the compatible receivers list so I checked more links on that RX. It turns out that that particular RX comes with that TX in this training airplane package
http://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/eflite/EFL3100-Manual_EN.pdfWhich confirmed my statement of your TX being more suited to airplanes than multicopters.
This transmitter/receiver only costs $59.00 +S&H and can do an awesome job with controlling a quad. I know because I use one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__8992__Turnigy_9X_9Ch_Transmitter_w_Module_8ch_Receiver_Mode_2_v2_Firmware_.html
It's on backorder there at the HK home site right now. Funny thing is you can get them on Ebay from.....HOBBY KING....at a $20.00 mark up over the price on their own web site and still have to pay S&H on top. I HATE HK.
For Multiwii FC control, you will want to have as many channels as possible to make use of the multiple flight modes and various capabilities of the platform. The Turnigy does 8 channels (even though they claim 9.)