Geeetech MultiWii board connection with GPS CRIUS NEO-6

dolphik89

Geeetech MultiWii board connection with GPS CRIUS NEO-6

Post by dolphik89 »

Hello guys,

I'm a newbie in quad-copters buildings.
I have ordered on hobbyking multiwii SE 2.0 and received not an expected CRIUS board, but GEETECH MultiWii SE (i even don't know which version it is) which runs on ATMEGA328p
I'd like to connect it with CRIUS GPS NEO-6 v3.0 which i ordered in parallel on ali.

The deal is that main board have not I2C port, but on the internet i have found mentioning that it could be connected (point 1 on screenshot)

QUESTION - can i connect the GPS module to TTL port (point 2 on screenshot) directly with OR without I2C-NAV module ?

The specs at geeetech site saying that main board runs on (and that's correct)
  • ATMEGA328P microcontroller
  • ITG3205 3-axis gyroscope
  • BMA180 3-axis accelerometer
  • BMP085 pressure sensor
  • HMC5883L 3-axis Magnetometer

Appreciate everyone's help.

~Roman

Kbev5709

Re: Geeetech MultiWii board connection with GPS CRIUS NEO-6

Post by Kbev5709 »

About all that 328P is going to do with GPS is maybe if you're lucky Position Hold and Return to Home. Not enough memory for full GPS to function and still have a flying craft. If you want more than Pos Hold and RTH, you should have bought a Mega board. Might not work without the I2C.
This video by Painless 360 deals with hooking that up to a real Crius board though, if that helps any. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrErUlnJSI

dolphik89

Post by dolphik89 »

What do you mean by Mega board - CRIUS (some latest 2.5-2.6?) ?
Aren't they built on same chip 328 ?
Which board i can look on with good quality, list of features ?

Thanks

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

These are two of the many available mega boards that can do GPS including waypoint navigation. You want a board with the Mega 2560 processor. It has enough memory. 328P will even give you warnings that memory is low if you activate GPS features.
http://www.readytoflyquads.com/flight-controllers/mega-series
http://rctimer.com/product-765.html

dolphik89

Post by dolphik89 »

Thank you for the information :)
I think i will built my first copter on existing 328p without GPS (seems it will be tricky to connect it, since there is no ready I2C port) and then will upgrade it to CRIUS AIOP with CRIUS GPS NEO-6

Kbev5709

Post by Kbev5709 »

dolphik89 wrote:Thank you for the information :)
I think i will built my first copter on existing 328p without GPS (seems it will be tricky to connect it, since there is no ready I2C port) and then will upgrade it to CRIUS AIOP with CRIUS GPS NEO-6

When you get the Crius AIOP you won't need the I2C PS board. With that FC you can just plug RX, TX, 5v and ground right into a serial port.