Adding GPS via I2C on Multiwii Microwii ATmega32U4

dimosrc

Adding GPS via I2C on Multiwii Microwii ATmega32U4

Post by dimosrc »

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody was able to add a GPS via I2C on the Multiwii Microwii ATmega32U4:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...=multiwii%2032

The problem is that when I enable the required defines for the GPS to work (#define GPS_SERIAL 3 , and #define UBLOX), I cannot upload because the sketch is too large for the board. I tried to define the things that will reduce the size and also used several versions of Arduino on several OSs, with no luck! The same error everywhere.

Is there any hope to add GPS on this FC, or shall I move to another one?

Thanks,

Dimos

QuadBow

Re: Adding GPS via I2C on Multiwii Microwii ATmega32U4

Post by QuadBow »

Hi Dimos,

As described you have not enabled GPS via I2C but via serial. This solution makes actually only sense for a Mega2560.
Comment out #define GPS_SERIAL 3 and #define UBLOX and enable #define I2C_GPS.
Remember that you have a connect an I2C_GPS_NAV module in between GPS device and flight controller.

dimosrc

Post by dimosrc »

Thanks for your response!
I commented GPS SERIAL and UBLOX and defined the I2C_GPS, but still the sketch is too big and cannot be uploaded in the Multiwii.

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino Leonardo"

Sketch uses 31,558 bytes (110%) of program storage space. Maximum is 28,672 bytes.
Global variables use 2,327 bytes (90%) of dynamic memory, leaving 233 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,560 bytes.
processing.app.debug.RunnerException: Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.size(Compiler.java:339)
at processing.app.debug.Compiler.build(Compiler.java:122)
at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1109)
at processing.app.Sketch.build(Sketch.java:1084)
at processing.app.Editor$BuildHandler.run(Editor.java:1955)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
Sketch too big; see http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#size for tips on reducing it.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

I am using the latest version of Arduino IDE (1.6.5) and the latest version of Multiwii (2.4).
I have already the I2C board between the GPS and the Multiwii.
I think I will give up with the GPS on Multiwii and only use it for a simple quad without GPS.

Thanks,
Dimos

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

dimosrc wrote:I think I will give up with the GPS on Multiwii and only use it for a simple quad without GPS.
I think that is the only thing you could do. If you want to have gps in the future go for a Mega2560 board.