Raspberry + Multiwii

sezze

Raspberry + Multiwii

Post by sezze »

Hello everybody!
I'm would build a quadcopter with a raspberry (as wifi receiver) and multiwii (http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__31138__Multiwii_and_Megapirate_AIO_Flight_Controller_w_FTDI_ATmega_2560_V2_0.html), but I have a big doubt.. How raspberry communicate with the multiwii? Throught the GPIO pins sure, but PWM or PPM signal? And the width signal?

Thank you for your support!

Cereal_Killer

Re: Raspberry + Multiwii

Post by Cereal_Killer »

I know nothing about RasPi (I've got one ordered from China, planning to make it a Linux desktop computer) but the communication back and forth shouldn't be an issue. The thing that concerns me is you say you're wanting to communicate with it over wifi, that's really not a good idea, even tho it's technically the same band (2.4Ghz) wifi is much slower, there's lag at both ends, usually you expect a wifi signal to be a few seconds delayed. NOT A GOOD IDEA for controlling a multirotor with giant super fast spinning blades on it

elaerico

Post by elaerico »

I seen there is a debug mode when you can change the values of the control signals via GUI, and the GUI controls the device via serial.
So, if you could decode the serial string who control the board in that debug mode, you could use the serial port of your raspberry to control it.
Sorry for my terrible english.

Cereal_Killer

Post by Cereal_Killer »

serial control does not work, I'm not sure what it's there for, maybe it's left over from an old idea or something but I dont know, you CAN NOT control anything with it...

My RasPi arrives tomorrow, I've got several different pieces of code combined to allow it to be a USB host (for a web cam) and a Wifi hotspot and to run without the desktop. It's something that will attach to my multirotor but notcontrol, or even talk to it. I dont have any plans to work on anything at all like you're asking about but I'm definitely interested to see anything you come up with. Please update your post with anything you manage to get going!

By the way, the protocol you'll use is the MSP

gregd72002

Post by gregd72002 »

Hi,

I am currently considering the same. I will be using SC16IS750 breakout to connect RPI to MW. Just waiting to receive one. For controller I hope to re-use most of my AvrMiniCopter which has WWW interface, support for Android devices over WIFI, etc. It will need adjustments but it should be reasonable straight forward job.

As for MSP what speeds, transfer rates are achievable so they do not affect LOOP TIME?