MultiWii Newbie help! 328P

n8lbv

MultiWii Newbie help! 328P

Post by n8lbv »

I have a single serial port FC This one: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _port.html

I'm very new to MultiWii.

So far I have successfully setup a few quads using this board and MW 2.3 - they fly wonderfully but I have only ever used an external Spektrum RX with individual servo channels and I've only
Flown in manual/agility mode and Horizom mode (some kind of agility/pos hold combo).

I'd like to experiment with GPS hold if the board will actually handle it but am very confused and need some help with the single serial port deal.

I'm not sure how to hook up the GPS and still be able to monitor the board via usb/serial or set it up test wit hthe GPS connected.
I have a serial GPS board not i2C.

I also don't get how to use a satellite rX on the board instead of the regular servo RX as I understand the Sat. RX also needs the single serial port..
So how could I be able to hook up the sat. rx + still be able to monitor/setup the board via usb? I don't think you can.

I'm also guessing there's no way to do both the serial GPS *and* the spektrum satellite RX. :-( right?

The board has an actual connector for sat. rx but I think you have to jumper it and you lose the USB port for configuring/testing when you do this...
Maybe that's jsut how it goes..
But you need the softwarew/usb to put it in bind mode and then how do you look at the RX signals etc.. once the RX is using the serial port?? confusing!

Can I set it all up to use serial GPS and then just hook it up later? will the config/setup still work via usb if I compile/set the board to do serial GPS?

I'm confused! haha!

Thanks!

Steve

Arakon

Re: MultiWii Newbie help! 328P

Post by Arakon »

You can't, correct. Your best option is to get a controller with an Atmega 2560, that one got 4 serial ports.
You'd have to keep switching around otherwise, since you can not connect to PC while GPS or sat is hooked up.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Is there a way to still use gps?
I mean like can I jsut tell it to use GPS and it will only need or call for it and then use what's on the serial port when I manually switch it into "GPS" mode from the transmitter..
Then when I need the config software I have to disconnect the GPS and use the built on FTDI?

Likewise is there a way to bind the sat rx.. then just simply use it on the single serial port? instead of a conventional rx?? (there must be) otherwise it would have not come with an advertised
DSM2 sat. rx port on it...

I understand I can't use the sat. rx *and* the serial GPS...

But can I at least use the GPS? OR the sat. rx? one or the other??

I just don't know how I'd monitor GPS status or sat rx. signal levels etc.
But will it work?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

Get an I2C converter board for the GPS, then you can use GPS while still having the serial port free.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Thanks, but can I still do GPS without using I2c? as I expect it may work on the single serial port when switching to gps mode?

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

The serial port does not need to be "free" during flight..
So I should be able to hook up the serial GPS to the only serial port, and then switch to GPS mode and it should work right?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

Yes, that should work.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Thanks I was hoping that might work..
I'm so new at this.
I'll eventually get some nicer boards that have more ports and I'll also get an i2c converter.
But for now I'd like to at lest play or try out GPS mode as I have as snamm NMEA serial GPS RX.

I'm guessing there's and LED or I can program/hookup and LED for GPS status.

Steve

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

thinking on the same lines myself... i may need gps at a later date.. so i take it that GPS and Bluetooth will not be able to be used together with the 328p board unless a I2c connector is used...

would this be right

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

That's my understanding but I've really not seen a straight answer from anyone on this yet.
and I've asked!
In order for it to work you'd need to somehow multiplex or timeshare GPS packets on the interface along with the bluetooth/status config.

I'm guessing (because I've not seen an answer) that this is not provided for.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Yep I've asked about this a couple of times and always get left hanging.
I don't think anyone here knows or really cares..
Or it's because there are easier ways to hook up GPS via i2c instead of serial.

I'd still like to know how to do serial and on a board that only has one serial port.
because this is the type of hardware I happen to have and would like to play with initially.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Still hanging and no answers or examples...
Does anybody here know this stuff?

Leo

Post by Leo »

I am/was in the same shoes you are in. I'm using using an old 328P board with only one serial. However from the get go I went with the serial to i2c board solution. Works like a charm and is very inexpensive.
I am glad I did because I now have a blue tooth connected to the serial port and using it with EZ-GUI during flight. Great stuff...

Leo