[SOLVED] Reversing propeller rotation for tricopter

andy

[SOLVED] Reversing propeller rotation for tricopter

Post by andy »

Hi
I recently built my first tricopter. My configuration is basic tricopter with tail servo (#define TRI). Im using MultiWii 328P Flight Controller (#define HK_MultiWii_328P) from HobbyKing running MultiWii 2.3.
I have two questions. I'm a bit confused about propeller rotation direction, some sources suggest all props should be CCW (i used this one) and other suggest two CCW and one CW. Does this depend on MultiWii version? And which one should I use with v2.3?

After crashing my tricopter a couple of times I've broken all my CCW props. But I have several CW props in my stash. If I throw CW props on, can I somehow define that in conf.h?
There's #define YAW_DIRECTION 1 but it says it's not used anymore. Any comments are welcome.

Here's one of the first flights on my tricopter: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bWIAQ332GQ
-andy
Last edited by andy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilco1967

Re: Reversing propeller rotation for tricopter

Post by wilco1967 »

in principle, for a tri, it doesn't matter what props you use.... they could be all CW, or all CCW, or a mix....

with all spinning in the same direction however, the tail servo will have to be tilted more, to keep it straight.

Also, when flying fast forward, a tri with all props spinning in the same direction, will tend to wander off-course. It will still fly though.

You don't need to set anything in config.h.
As long as your tailservo moves in the correct direction, you should be fine (and it makes no difference if you have CCW or CW props).
You might want to adjust the mechanical centre of the tailservo, to correct for yaw offset.

andy

Re: Reversing propeller rotation for tricopter

Post by andy »

:oops: why didn't I think of that? I guess I was thinking in quad mode.
I switched all props from CCW to CW, and it flew perfectly, no tweaking or tuning required. Just like wilco1969 said.
Thanks a lot for the explanation wilco1969!

My scratch built tricopter.
My scratch built tricopter.

debay777

Post by debay777 »

So if the setup in multiwii gives you a prop direction layout, you can ignore it? My board suggests all CCW or its either the front right or the tail be CW. I'm still gathering materials so I haven't built mine yet. Oming from the quad mindset so motor direction has been niggling the back of mind.