[SOLVED] Paris V3 with WMP + LLC + BMA180

aamorin

[SOLVED] Paris V3 with WMP + LLC + BMA180

Post by aamorin »

Hi everybody!
Perhaps this question might have been already answered on another place, but couldn't find it so here I go..
I've bought and already soldered the naked Paris v3 with the WMP, LLC and BMA180, but now I'm asking myself about the famous pull ups.. do I need to enable them in software AND hardware (by soldering) ??

From the wiki of multiwiicopter:
Wii Original MP+ Gyro and Bosch® BMA180 Acc combo on a PARIS v3 AP board - both the MP+ and the Acc run on 3v3 and use SMD pull ups (activated on PARIS by closing the solder pads) to control the voltages in the I2C SDa /SCL lines which sit at around 2.6v

From the 1.7 version notes:
SPECIAL NOTE ABOUT THE PULL-UPS:
- they are now enable by default
- WARNING if you use I2C devices that don't support 5V.

- If you use a WMP alone: enable it in soft
- If you use a WMP + NK : enable it in soft
- If you use a WMP + BMP020 (5V friendly thanks to its LLC): enable it in soft
- If you use a WMP + (LLC + I2C devices): enable it in soft
- If you use a WMP + direct I2C bus connection I2C devices (not 5V friendly): disable it in soft and use external
pull-ups on 3.3V. note that most breakout boards are built with pullups already available.

This is a little confussing for me.. can anyone help me ? might I burn something if activate both of them (soft and hard pull ups) ?

Thanks a lot in advance, and sorry about my english!
A.A.
Last edited by aamorin on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

aamorin

Re: Paris V3 with WMP + LLC + BMA180

Post by aamorin »

Couldn't resist the wait.. I've connected de FTDI to win 7 (didn't use drivers, win recognized it and installed by his own) , then to the pro mini, changed this settings:

#define MINTHROTTLE 1180 for plush
#define QUADX
#define BMA180

It all goes well, said "Done uploading", then opened the MultiWiiConf GUI and after selecting port, clicking Start and Read.. nothing happens... ACC keeps OFF and some numbers change (AUX1, AUX2, CAM1, CAM2) but it doesn't seem to be relative to my movements of the board (no input from MP+ ?).. only once I saw a straight line but nothing else happens..

This is my setup:
PARIS v 3.0 - Original Nintendo Wii Motion Plus MP+ with LLC and BMA180 Acc

and I connected everything as the picture on the wiki (http://www.multiwiicopter.com/pages/multiwiicopter-wiki) for this setup (MP+ and LLC to 3v3 instead of 4v5, pull up pads soldered, and commented the #define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS on the code)

Does anybody know what could be wrong ??..

Thanks in advance.
Cheers

A.A.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

Try to enable internal i2c pullups.

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

Ok, I'll try it in a couple of hours!!

Thanks PatrikE

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

And if you have sensors who run on 3v3 The board might need external power to it.

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

PatrikE wrote:And if you have sensors who run on 3v3 The board might need external power to it.

Yes, I thought about that too and have connected one ESC. There is a "correct" sequence to connect this power sources or any is correct ? (I mean if I should connect, for example, first the FTDI to pc usb, and then the battery to the esc).

Thanks again!
Cheers

A.A.

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

I just plug in the wire i find first... :roll:
It works every time.. :ugeek:

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

PatrikE wrote:I just plug in the wire i find first... :roll:
It works every time.. :ugeek:

Excellent.. just like I do! ;)

Cheers!

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

PatrikE wrote:Try to enable internal i2c pullups.

PatrikE, just to be completely sure.. besides enabling the internal, should I let the external (hardware, soldered pad's) pull ups enabled ? or they can't be both enabled ?

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

I have big news! (at least for me :P)
I've enabled the software pull ups (leaving enabled the external too, soldered pads) and now I've input from acc!! (bma180)
But.. as not everything could be working from the very first try.. I can't see input from the WMP+ .. I have it soldered just like in the wiki (see PARIS v 3.0 - Original Nintendo Wii Motion Plus MP+ with LLC and BMA180 Acc, or the picture below) but I'm just wondering if this doesn't need to be soldered in the 4v5 pin, the one with the red arrow:

I really don't think that the picture is wrong, there must be an obvious reason to be soldered there (it's just that I don't know it :oops: ); the llc it's also soldered to the 3v3 so... shouldn't the WMP+ be working ?? or I've to do some kind of first time calibration in order for it to work ? (I've tried by software but nothing..)

Thanks!
Cheers

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

It worked !! ... don't really know which was the problem, it seamed to be my fault (obviously..)
I just soldered again a cable from the WMP+, enabled pull ups by software (and hardware) as I said before, connected an esc (just to give 5v to the llc) and.. voila! it worked.. now I just have to wait until the well known Chinese provider delivers me with the rest of the hardware to complete (with my home-made aluminum and wood frame) my quad!

Thanks a lot PatrikE for your support.
Cheers

Stillee

Re: [SOLVED] Paris V3 with WMP + LLC + BMA180

Post by Stillee »

Hello,

I have the same configuration
WM+ BMA180 & Baro + LLC...
Everything work on my multiwiiconfig but not the WM+ (Gyro)

In software i Define...
/* I2C gyroscope */
ITG3200

/* I2C accelerometer */
BMA180

#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS

Software :

I soldered the pad for the 3V

I have connected my wm+ to the 3V3 but no data

The board was conected with ftdi & with esc...I tried to solder again my wm+ & check all my wires and it seems to be good with the testmeter...

Really, i dont understand the problem, and its the second time that i made this.

Someone can help me ? :(

Thanks a lot ;)

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

Stillee wrote:Hello,

I have the same configuration
WM+ BMA180 & Baro + LLC...
Everything work on my multiwiiconfig but not the WM+ (Gyro)

In software i Define...
/* I2C gyroscope */
ITG3200

/* I2C accelerometer */
BMA180

#define INTERNAL_I2C_PULLUPS

Software :

I soldered the pad for the 3V

I have connected my wm+ to the 3V3 but no data

The board was conected with ftdi & with esc...I tried to solder again my wm+ & check all my wires and it seems to be good with the testmeter...

Really, i dont understand the problem, and its the second time that i made this.

Someone can help me ? :(

Thanks a lot ;)

Not really sure if this will help you butI didn't define the ITG3200.. might worth a try..

Cheers.

Stillee

Post by Stillee »

Slap me...
So dumb I'am !

It works ! :)

Thanks a lot my friend

aamorin

Post by aamorin »

Stillee wrote:Slap me...
So dumb I'am !

It works ! :)

Thanks a lot my friend

Excellent!!
Don't blame yourself, I made the same mistake! remember: we are always learning!
Enjoy it!

Cheers.

Stillee

Post by Stillee »

Now, i'am looking to solder my Magnetometer in the good way.
I'll do it tomorrow.

Poofjunior

Post by Poofjunior »

Hello, all--and thanks for the valuable resources so far! I am also having a similar problem:

I have an original WM+ and a BMA180 connected via LLC. I'm also feeding the BMA180 about 2.78 v separa, which is plenty according to the datasheet, using an adjustable voltage regulator (the LM317T from Radioshack), and I'm running version 1.7.

I also enabled the pullups.

So far, though, I haven't been able to get a reading from both the WM+ and the BMA180 at the same time, though. If I select one of the alternate gyros (like the ITG3200 or L3G4200D), I can get the GUI to read the BMA180.

If I don't select any of the alternate gyros, I only get readings from the WM+.

I don't have a Paris v 3.0 board ; instead, I followed the build log from Kinderkram and studied the images from the Multiwiicopter website http://www.multiwiicopter.com/pages/multiwiicopter-wiki

Here's a picture of my setup:

Any thoughts on why the GUI is reading either the gyro or the BMA180, but not both?

Thanks in advance for taking a look everyone! :D

Alexinparis

Post by Alexinparis »

Hi,
the BMA180 should be connected in parallel mode on the I2C bus with the WMP+, not behind the WMP+ like the nunchuk.
The nunchuk is the only device that can be connected behind the WMP+

Poofjunior

Post by Poofjunior »

Many thanks! Fixing that exact error did the trick!