Basic Connection Diagram for Quad

reis

Basic Connection Diagram for Quad

Post by reis »

I'm looking at the BASIC connection diagram Tri or Quad copter dated 01-12-11
found here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1340771
My question is connecting up the speed controls.
I would like to bring in the +5VDC from a BEC to feed the receiver just as in the diagram, which then feeds the RAW pin and the GND on the Pro Min just like the diagram.
The change I am interested in is to "NOT" bring this power to the Rear right motor ESC as the diagram suggests. So I will not be connecting any of the ESC's positive or negative leads.
My thoughts are the ESC will receive the power from the main lines that power the motors. Does that make sense?
Does anyone know if this will be a problem? Does anyone currently wire their board like I am suggesting or does everyone bring in the 5V and GND to Pin 9 as the diagram illustrates?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Rick

Tifani

Re: Basic Connection Diagram for Quad

Post by Tifani »

Hi !
Remove all red (5V) wires from ESC RX plug (thin 3 wires) except 1 - or better remove all and use BEC to power RX and Arduino.
Regards
Tom

reis

Post by reis »

Very Good Tom,
That is what I was asking and intending on doing -i.e. not connecting any of the 5V red wires and using a BEC to power RX and Arduino.
I'm also not intending on using any of the GND black 5V wires from the ESC either. So is this what you are doing?
Thanks again Tom for your help.
Rick

PatrikE

Post by PatrikE »

All components in the system MUST be connected with common GND.
Otherwise you can end up with all kind of strange problems!

reis

Post by reis »

Hi PatrikE,

Yes, that makes sense that all components in the system must be connected with common GND.

And unless I am miss-understanding things (a good possibility :) ) even in the approved schematic, the 5V ground appears to be not connected on three of the 4 ESC's is that correct?

So, is not the 12 volt GND in the ESC connected to the 5V GND (thin wires) somewhere within the ESC's?

Therefore, I am thinking if we are using a BEC that is connected to the same power source (same GND) as the ESC's that we would have all components connected with common ground even if the 5 V side of the ESC's are not connected externally. Is that not correct?

Thank you PatriK and Tom for your help,

Rick

Danal

Post by Danal »

Every ESC I've ever seen, except a very few "Opto-Isolated", uses a common ground for the servo connectors and the power connectors.

What you are proposing should work just fine.