Octocopter w/2 batteries, how to set up PowerDisteibution

oterpoter

Octocopter w/2 batteries, how to set up PowerDisteibution

Post by oterpoter »

Hello all!
I am building a octocopter from the ground and up, and will be recieveing the carbon frame-parts this week!
It will be a heavylifting baby, powered by 8 Pulso 2820/14 motors, and 2x 8400mA batteries. My question is how to best set up the power distribution. I will be using OSD (MIS OSD) with current censor, but since this setup most likely will be able to draw more than 100A, i cannot hook everything up to the power distribution, since the censor only supports <100A.
My thought was to make 2 powerdistributions, one for each battery, powering 4 motors each. Thus leaving me with 2 identical setups, where 4 motors get their power from one battery, and the other 4 from the second. Will this work at all? I need to set the current censor connected to one ESC/Motor only (or i can connect it to one battery, and thus calibrate it to this).

Doing this will make two closed systems that has no connection, and I am afraid that maybe this idea is bad. I am no electrician, so all help is apprechiated!
Best regards
-Mathias

captaingeek

Re: Octocopter w/2 batteries, how to set up PowerDisteibutio

Post by captaingeek »

yes you can use 2 seperate ciruits. look at it this way... you can have 2x seperate 12v inputs running 4x motors each. you should probably use a dedicated BEC to power your rx, wmc, and accories running on one of the batteries / circuits. for your power sensors you would have to hook that up to one half of the circuit since you going to be running 2 seperate dedicated circuits and you'll only be able to monitor that half of the ciruit.