Motors don't work

NeonSerg

Motors don't work

Post by NeonSerg »

HI,i'm building my first quadcopter using:
-Arduino UNO + Multiwii 2.3
-motors:NTM Prop Drive Series 28-26 1100kv / 252w http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _252w.html
-escs:Turnigy AE 30A Brushless Esc http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... s_ESC.html
-transmitter/receiver: turnigy 9x8cv.2
-GY 521

In multiwiiconf software i see IMU data and Transmitter data,so they are right connected.The problem is that I tried to start my quadcopter but the motors do some beeps and don't work! i try to connect an esc direct to the receiver and it work, so the problem is on multiwii (i'm not very good with it :) ) or a bad connection of the motor to arduino.

I hope you can help me to exit this shit situation.

P.S.In the multiwiiconf software the max value of the receiver value is 1887 and the minimum value 1057, can it be a problem?

QuadBow

Re: Motors don't work

Post by QuadBow »

Do the ESCs beep at start-up?
NeonSerg wrote:P.S.In the multiwiiconf software the max value of the receiver value is 1887 and the minimum value 1057, can it be a problem?

This shouldn't be an issue.
Have you enabled BARO?

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

no they don't beep,only the motors...
i don't have a baro, only acc and gyro,but my imu works well

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

NeonSerg wrote:no they don't beep,only the motors...

So, the ESCs are receiving valid servo inputs.
The stick command values seem to be fine, as well.

Have you calibrated the ESCs as described here http://www.multiwii.com/wiki/index.php?title=Multiwii_Beginners_Guide_to_Basic_First_Flight (MWC Special Build ESC Calibration) ?

How have you wired the ESCs to the flight control board (Arduino UNO)?

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

On config.h i set only Quadx for the type and gy-521 for imu type, i have just try to do esc calibration:

/**** ESCs calibration ****/
/********************************************************************/
/* to calibrate all ESCs connected to MWii at the same time (useful to avoid unplugging/re-plugging each ESC)
Warning: this creates a special version of MultiWii Code
You cannot fly with this special version. It is only to be used for calibrating ESCs
Read How To at http://code.google.com/p/multiwii/wiki/ESCsCalibration */
#define ESC_CALIB_LOW MINCOMMAND
#define ESC_CALIB_HIGH 2000
//#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // uncomment to activate

in this part of config.h I defined ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY and i loaded the program on arduino. all the motors start at maximum power and after a few seconds 3 motors turned off and only one (the one connected to pin 10) continued working endlessly at the minimum power.
what the fuck? :lol: then i loaded the program with ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY commented and the motors don't work like before the calibration...

I think that the escs are right connected to arduino(because they started at maximum power), so now the only problem is something wrong in multiwii settings.
Please tell me if i did escs calibration in the right way and what can are the problem in my settings, i send the link for my config.h

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-ZJ-O ... 15UzQ/view

for the connections to arduino i did this:
Front right motor - digital10
Front left motor - digital3
Back right motor - digital9
Back left motor - digital11

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

Please tell me if i did escs calibration in the right way
As you have described the way you did calibrate it should be fine.
and what can are the problem in my settings, i send the link for my config.h
The config.h shouldn't be the issue.

Have you connected the Vcc wire of the servo-connection between ESC and flight controller? If so, try to leave it open.

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

For the receiver i connected only the "variation" cable (the white one) for each channel,and i connected vcc and gnd from arduino in only one slot of receiver, but i think it's not the problem: the led is on and i can see the transmitter commands on multiwiiconf...

waltr

Post by waltr »

Are you issuing the proper ARM stick command?
If so are the TX stick end point values correct?

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

NeonSerg wrote:P.S.In the multiwiiconf software the max value of the receiver values is 1887 and the minimum value 1057, can it be a problem?

Do you mean this? all channel (throttle,yaw,pich...) in multiwiiconf have a max value of 1887 and a minimum value of 1057, can it be a problem?

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

NeonSerg wrote:Do you mean this? all channel (throttle,yaw,pich...) in multiwiiconf have a max value of 1887 and a minimum value of 1057, can it be a problem?

It could be a part of the problem, but not the whole problem. Try to expand the input channel values to values between less than 1100 (fulfilled) and more than 1900 (to be done).

Have you connected the Vcc wire of the servo-connection between ESC and flight controller? If so, try to leave it open.

Well, I asked as to the connections between ESCs and flight controller. What about it?

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

escs are right connected to arduino, because when i did the escs calibration motors started toghether at the maximum power

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

NeonSerg wrote:escs are right connected to arduino, because when i did the escs calibration motors started toghether at the maximum power

That is not shure. If you have connected all ESCs' 5V-pins together, the UBECs start fighting against each other and could produce such irregular effects.

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

I have connected escs to digital 3,9,10,11 of arduino,not to 5v...

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

NeonSerg wrote:I have connected escs to digital 3,9,10,11 of arduino,not to 5v...

That sounds good. And what about the ESCs' ground pins? Left open or connected to arduino ground?
Basically, the ESCs get already ground via the accu power line, however, there are ESCs which request another ground from the servo style connection to the flight controller.

mikea491

Post by mikea491 »

I'm having the same exact problem as him. I'm getting power to the board via the connections to the speed controllers, and I everything else is working. When I go to the GUI, it says that the servo's are all unused. Now, I don't know if that is a connection problem, or not.

From what I can tell, it's either not recognizing the speed controllers, or it isn't giving out the PID to the speed controllers.

NeonSerg

Post by NeonSerg »

QuadBow wrote:
NeonSerg wrote:I have connected escs to digital 3,9,10,11 of arduino,not to 5v...

That sounds good. And what about the ESCs' ground pins? Left open or connected to arduino ground?
Basically, the ESCs get already ground via the accu power line, however, there are ESCs which request another ground from the servo style connection to the flight controller.

3 gnd and 3 vcc of becs are simply cutted off, 1 vcc is connected to Vin on arduino and 1 gnd on gnd on arduino...but vcc and gnd of becs are output aren't they?

i'm going to try to connect becs's vcc and ground to 5v and gnd on arduino...

QuadBow

Post by QuadBow »

NeonSerg wrote:I'm going to try to connect becs's vcc and ground to 5v and gnd on arduino...

Don't do so! You may risk to damage your ESCs or board!

Of course, it depends on the board schematics.
But, I would try to leave the ESCs' vcc=5V unconnected, since the ESCs should have an own BEC for the 5V line.
You should try to connect all grounds, of the flight controller and of the ESC.