328P how the heck? sat. RX connector.

n8lbv

328P how the heck? sat. RX connector.

Post by n8lbv »

This board on;y has one serial port and a jumper to chose whether it goes to the build in FTDI/USB interface for setup or the SAT RX connector.

How in the world do you even setup a sat. RX on this thing (endpoints monitor RX values etc) if you can't get to the setup if you're using a sat. rx?

Arakon

Re: 328P how the heck? sat. RX connector.

Post by Arakon »

By swapping back and forth. Set things up in the GUI, once all settings are made, plug in the sat.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

i am thinking the same myself... is there any other way.... to connect the blue tooth permanently or is because it only has one serial port.?

I did think i could put a toggle switch connected across the board jumper to select bluetooth or usb. to save pulling jumper on and off all the time...?

and can the bluetooth board be configured from the multiwii 328p without me having a FTDI interface... i dont mind buying one but i just dont have one at the moment...?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

You could attach a i2c display permanently. I run that combo on all of my helicopters with 328p 32u4 andmega boards.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

By swapping back & forth....
I think I gotya but will have to just try it.
I'm guessing maybe the values would show up (I need to see the numbers from the rx) in the config software to set it up..
If I swap back won't they all just go to zero or no signal values?
And by swapping back & forth I think you mean moving the jumper to select whether the serial port is connected to the satellite RX or the built on FTDI.

I also want to be able to do GPS mode from the single serial port *sigh* as I have plenty of serial GPX rx devices and no i2c stuff.

DO I need to anything special in setting up the software to look for GPS on the only serial port?
Or will it *by default* somehow *look* for GPS on the serial port if I tell it to go into GPS position hold mode?
Any help here much appreciated I have a whole other thread on this but only got more confused as everyone just says use i2c.
It's not really clear on how to enable GPS hold using a serial gps and it's only serial port.
Should work fine as I don't need the serial port for anything else while flying.

But how the heck do you configure it to use the serial port?

And yes I'm still just as confused as to how to setup RX and travel ranges with a sat. RX as I was when I first asked here..
When I "swap back & forth" I'd expect the status screen to go to no signal values and not show me where it left off when there was a signal.
If it does show where it left off when there was a signal then we're golden.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

ANd just for clarification:
On my previous post I would of course *not* expect to do serial GPS *and* a sat. rx at the same time (duh).
I will be using a separate conventional RX on the one that I wan to try serial GPS on. :-)
Figured I better go and mention that.

Yes so I have several different boards/quads and want to get sat. rx. working on one and serial port GPS on the other :-)

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Can someone please answer how this works? (how does it work) how do you "turn on" a mode where it is "looking for" GPS on the same or single port?
And how do you switch between whether you're using the port to config/monitor the board, or if you're looking for serial NMEA GPS data from a GPS RX..
If you know or understand..
Please explain.
Thank You.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Thoughts? anyone? please?

Thanks.

Arakon

Re: complete beginner with MW 328P

Post by Arakon »

As far as I know, you will have to change the config each time and reflash.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Thanks for responding.
Although the answer is still quite vague.
Can you or anyone say definitively that there is no code to support simul- or "looking for GPS on serial port" when in switched into GPS flight mode? versus or support for "always"
looking for GPS on serial port, versus automatic detection of GPS on serial port and then using it?

By default it seems that the serial port is not in use for config/monitor unless you issue a command in software to read/write or start/stop..
Meaning maybe the port is available for GPS while the config and monitor commands are not being used which also seem to be default boot up condition.
Although I do understand/assume the port must be sort of in this mode if it's "listening" for the specific start/stop read/write commands from the config software.
Seems logical it could also be listening for GPS at the same time or switch into GPS mode when the GPS flight mode is selected..
Again things that are not made very clear anywhere that I could find :-)

As far as reflashing to either be in config mode or GPS listening mode and if that is necessary can you please be more specific as in how do I do that?
How do I choose manually which mode I come up in using just the config files?
Sorry I'm a bit new here and don't have as much familiarity with the code as I'd like yet.

handsomejackuk

Post by handsomejackuk »

I am still a bit unsure about the procedure to get GPS working on multiwii 328p... i have blue tooth on the serial port, but have an I2c port i could use if i dont use the oled display....

so in essence, can a gps board be used on either serial port, or the i2c port with the i2c port..

as in this you tube clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJrErUlnJSI

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Yes I'd like to know definitively if you can do it and then how do you do it specifically.
Lot of people on here speculating that you can or can't do it but am hoping to hear from somebody that know specifically what can and can't be done and why.
It's not clear a all or addressed in the docs that I can find so far.
I'd like to do it anmd need a little help here.
I can under stand the concept of having to do one thing at a time on a single serial port but somebody please... tell us how!! already. :-)

I can also understand how the port could support multiple functions in different flight modes but again no definite answers... why? why not? please??

And then back to the silly board itself: it comes with a SAT. RX port on it.. how do you set it up with the sat RX if you can't set it up without the serial port available to see the rx values coming in?
Or can you look at frozen values ans switch back and forth to setup what's coming in on a sat rx??
Again not docs here! and when I ask nobody responds.
Has anyone ever used a sat RX on these?
Great how did you look at/setup your incoming data and how did you make adjustments?

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Hey!
Any help here guys?
Does anyone here actually know how this works?

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

You either set it up using an I2C display attached to the flight controller, or you do it blindly.. i.e. on another MWii FC with more serial ports, adjust your end points on the transmitter there.
The 328p boards are highly limited, if you insist on using them, you're stuck with some inconveniences.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

HOW DO YOU TURN IT ON?
How do you put the FC where it is listening on the serial port for GPS?
Please advise!! (newb here).
And then does it only listen for the GPS when you put it in GPS flight mode?

But seriously though and specifically... how do you enable GPS on the single serial port?
And does it listen all the time or only when you switch into GPS flight mode?
Once the FC is setup and flying manually won't even need the serial port any more anyway (EXCEPT FOR GPS) :-)
So I should be good here.
I also like the idea of an I@C display.

Thanks. (and please answer/explain)

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

When GPS is activated in the config, it should always listen for GPS on the serial port. The GPS data is always recorded by the FC, no matter if GPS modes are active or not.

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

What about doing serial GPS on the only serial port + config on the serial port, can that be done?
Can you multiplex both GPS and config/board monitor on a single serial port?

How do you choose whether the config stuff is done on a serial port and which port? I do not see this in config.h!

Say I wanted to put config on i2c (display board) instead of on the only serial port,
Then I could put GPS on the only serial port.
But I do not see where how you do this.
How to I make config on i2c instead of serial port?
Or how do I make config on a different serial port (if I had multiple serial ports)?

How do I take config OFF the only serial port I have and move it to i2c?/display board?

How do I just turn config off? once it's done and I don't need it anymore so I can enable GPS on the only serial port?

Please please please please and thank you. :-)

n8lbv

Post by n8lbv »

Ok here we go again, whenever I get more specific and ask exactly "how" there's no answers.
Seems everyone has an idea or an assumption here but no examples.
Am I on the wrong forum to be asking direct howto questions like this?
Sorry I'm still new at MultiWii.
How might I best get these types of questions answered?
I appreciate the help and info I have learned so far but it is still incomplete. :-)