Motor's won't change speed based on commands

ishanshah474

Motor's won't change speed based on commands

Post by ishanshah474 »

Hello,
I have been trying to build a Quadcopter and facing an issue. I have an Arduino nano as my CPU and am receiving commands through a PPM signal on Pin D2. I've checked the transmitter and receiver, it is working fine i.e., the nano is receiving all the correct commands. However, I am using a brushed ESC with a DC brushed motor. This is the link to the esc - https://www.amazon.com/Brushed-Motor-Fo ... B0BYVPWR6S.
It is running on drive frequency of 2khz. I have modified the firmware to output a PWM signal of 2khz frequency, which is also tested and is working fine. When the drone is disarmed, the motors don't spin (which is expected) but when it is armed, it spins at a constant speed, even after changing the commands. So, at minimum and at maximum throttle, the speed of the motor is the same. The motors not spinning when disarmed means that the ESC is compatible with multiwii and the motors as well.
I've calibrated the ESC once using this -
#define ESC_CALIB_LOW MINCOMMAND
#define ESC_CALIB_HIGH 2000
//#define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY // uncomment to activate
However, I haven't yet tuned the PIDs for the drone. But even without tuning the PIDs, the motors should change speed with command changes, right? Or does it just go down onto PIDs? Or is there any other error which I made with the ESC?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Hamburger

Re: Motor's won't change speed based on commands

Post by Hamburger »

ishanshah474 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:19 pm
But even without tuning the PIDs, the motors should change speed with command changes, right?
correct.
I was too lazy to read up on your esc - I presume it does require and answer to input min/max calibration like regular brushless esc did way back then?
Can you verify the output signal of your flight controller any other way?
Can you create the input signal for the esc any other way to verify the esc does generate varying rpm?

your esc are described as forward/reverse - my best guess is that is exactly what happens. motor stop is at midstick = mid signal.
min. signal gives full reverse and that is what you see once armed.