Prop Efficiency

copterrichie

Prop Efficiency

Post by copterrichie »

Here are the results from a test I did using the propellers I had on-hand when paired with an RCTimer BC3536-9. The RCTimer 30A ESC was calibrated at 1050 Low and 1850 High. Each prop was mounted and the throttle signal ran up to 1.5ms (1500) and the amperage and thrust measurements recorded. The 1.5ms value (Mid-stick) was used because that is the idea hover point for a Multi-rotor copter.

Prop Test Results
Prop Test Results

Video Procedure of the first prop tested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7b0rBzaobs

copterrichie

Re: Prop Efficiency

Post by copterrichie »

I added two more test conditions to the chart using a RCTimer BC2836-11 (750KV) motor with the APC 12x3.8 and EPP 12x4.5 props.

Additional testing.
Additional testing.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

For clarity, the Shunt that I am using is rated at 50amp 75mv drop. I recorded the voltage drop across the shunt to use to calculate the actual amperage.

quax

Post by quax »

I'm very interested in the measurement of brushless equipment.
I've built a handmade mechanic:

The scales have a digital output and can be used for automated measurements. It's possible to measure the thrust of the prop and the torque of the motor. Means, you can measure the efficiency of the motor and the prop.

Unfortunately I don't have so much time and the project is on hold.
Maybe there is someone out there, who is interested in building such a measurement equipment?

cu
quax

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

That visually, looks very interesting. I have a ton of old computer hard drives. What are you using to sense the weight and torque?

quax

Post by quax »

The scales is from SOEHNLE.
Here is an image of a version for torque measurement that didn't work well.

But you can see, how I used the HD drive housing and the scales is still complete visible.

copterrichie

Post by copterrichie »

I was looking at some load sensors just yesterday on ebay that may enhance this design. Thanks.