Another "WON'T ARM" thread, please help!

The Man

Post by The Man »

Hi,

So I bought http://www.ebay.com/itm/X525-4-axis-QuadCopter-GF-Folding-Kit-ARF-MWC-SE-Flight-Controller-SimonK-30A-/281322387822?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item41801ef96e
I'm using 2.3 software and config with Turnigy TGY-i6 TX.

Throttle calibrated the ESCs. They work individually when plugged into the rx and moving the throttle.
Using this guide I connected everything together and I am positive that it is correct: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uploads/463565377X19082X13.pdf

#define MINTHROTTLE 1064 // special ESC (simonk)
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1850
#define SERIAL_SUM_PPM ROLL,PITCH,THROTTLE,YAW,AUX1,AUX2,AUX3,AUX4,8,9,10,11 //For Robe/Hitec/Futaba

Calib _ACC: Clicked on it, then write.
CALIBMAG: while it was flashing I moved out it about.
I have 2 questions:

-Why this thing wouldn't arm?
-When I connect the quad via USB it wouldn't show the sticks moving. What do I have to do with the end points? There are 2 for each channel. All of them on 120%(max)? :?:

Should I just use a switch to arm it? (Don't know how)

I'm running out of ideas. "Every little helps"

Thanks!

brewski

Re: Another "WON'T ARM" thread, please help!

Post by brewski »

Use MWconfig. Select comm port wait 10 seconds. Click Start wait several seconds then Read. You should now have live graphs.
Move tx sticks & change switches and bars should move in same direction. If not reverse on TX.
You then use TX min mid & max settings to get 1000-1500-2000 for each function. If bars not moving then you have PPM Sum incorrectly set for your TX or your RX does not output PPM Sum. You can turn off PPM Sum and connect outputs directly to flight controller as a test & even leave it connected this way. If you don't get the range of TX set correctly for each control you will never be able to Arm & functions will not work correctly. Check out the Beginners Guide viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5363 for detailed instructions on setting up.

izeman

Post by izeman »

I found that hitting 'write' in mwc somehow does something weird to my throttle values. I will explain : I erase the FC twice with 4096 bytes. Then flash multiwii. Connect mwc read values. If I now arm the copter the blades start to turn. If I disarm and hit 'write' still can arm it, but I have to move the throttle to 1500 until the motors start turning. No idea what's wrong here.
Another idea is to put 'arm' on an aux switch and arm that way. Maybe your way to arm it with the remote is not working.

waltr

Post by waltr »

A mismatch of the version of code loaded and the MWconf.exe will do this.
Ensure both are the same version.

you might need to load and run the clear_EEPROM sketch then re-load the MW code to clear up this issue.

The Man

Post by The Man »

brewski wrote: You can turn off PPM Sum and connect outputs directly to flight controller as a test & even leave it connected this way.

We have a winner!

Thank you! All I had to do is to comment out the PPM SUM line in the code. (I don't know why I want to desperately use it) and it is ok.
Now, I'm arming it via an AUX channel (3 stage switch).

Thanks for everybody for contributing.

The only problem that remain is the slight rpm difference between the motors. When one is displaying 1100 the other one is 1064. (Max in code 1850)

Do I just need to recalibrate (throttle) the Simonk ESCs or something else is responsible for this?

Many thanks,

brewski

Post by brewski »

Plug ESCs direct to RX & calibrate. I made up a 1 to 4 servo cable so can do simultaneously.
If after calibrating ESCs & Acc you have differences don't be concerned as this is normal PID behaviour until multi is flying. Use Acro mode & trim TX for good hover, then Horizon mode & trim Acc to stop any drift.

The Man

Post by The Man »

Thanks brewski!

Well, I calibrated the ESCs one by one. I don't have a special cable for that.

I have 2 problems remaining. After calibrating the MAG the barometer is going up and down. Like always. The rest of the values are remaining stable. Is this normal?

The biggest problem is -hold your breath- it doesn't take off. It starts sliding on the floor or lifts just one side a LITTLE bit (because it is not trimmed) and that's it.

The props are correctly installed! I tried even the wrong way. No difference! The directions are right, the props are in the right place!

I really don't know why. The calibration of Simonk ESCs is the problem? Everything else works (in Multiwii config too) and arms from switch. Endpoint is at 120%. (max).

I triple checked everything. But it still has a coffee grinder sound at higher rpm.

Please help?

brewski

Post by brewski »

The Man wrote:Thanks brewski!

Well, I calibrated the ESCs one by one. I don't have a special cable for that.

I have 2 problems remaining. After calibrating the MAG the barometer is going up and down. Like always. The rest of the values are remaining stable. Is this normal?

The biggest problem is -hold your breath- it doesn't take off. It starts sliding on the floor or lifts just one side a LITTLE bit (because it is not trimmed) and that's it.

The props are correctly installed! I tried even the wrong way. No difference! The directions are right, the props are in the right place!

I really don't know why. The calibration of Simonk ESCs is the problem? Everything else works (in Multiwii config too) and arms from switch. Endpoint is at 120%. (max).

I triple checked everything. But it still has a coffee grinder sound at higher rpm.

Please help?

Check again that motors are turning correct direction & that CW motors have CW props with props correct way up.
If all OK hold quad firmly from below & throttle up & feel for excessive vibrations. With MWConfig connected watch the motor graphs & if speeds jumping all over the place this is a sure sign that vibrations are the issue. Have you set LPF for your Gyro? Try 42Hz & if it still wont hover you must balance props accurately. I also suggest using good quality props (CF or Composite) such as APC. Did you read the guide?

alb1234

Post by alb1234 »

Just in case anyone else checks this thread with an arming problem, one thing that stopped mine working was not having just the throttle to min and yaw to high.
I had yaw AND roll to min which wont arm it. You have to have only yaw(or roll if you've chosen that in the config.h file) and throttle to high and low respectively. I was so happy i solved it yesterday i made a youtube video going through it if you're still not sure... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKcApDD ... e=youtu.be

Also check that the dont arm when not level is commented out in the config.h file

The Man

Post by The Man »

[/quote] I also suggest using good quality props (CF or Composite) such as APC. Did you read the guide?[/quote]

Sorry for the late answer. I had exams to take.
I know, my responsibilities should not interfere with my hobbies....

So, I took it out yesterday and started it up. When the battery was just hanging by the cord the quadcopter took off!
Yeah, I felt stupid a little. All the Multiwii settings are correct but it can not lift the battery!

I had come to the conclusion that the cheap plastic props are useless. Hell, even the motors are rubbish.
Then I read your comment and it was clear. So I'm now thinking getting better props and even motors.

DON'T BY CHINESE CRAP! IT WILL COME BACK AND BITE YOU.

Thanks for everybody's help. The topic is closed.