RX ID Help?

humblehacker

RX ID Help?

Post by humblehacker »

Can anybody help me identify this particular RX module? The writing is way too small to read even with a magnifying glass.

My intention was to use it with my Hobbyking NanoWii IMU, but I forgot that it actually came with the NanoWii Pocketquad (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885026) which I never actually flew because it shipped with a faulty bootloader. I assume its some version of a Spektrum Satellite and the connection seems to fit the NanoWii IMU.
If indeed it is a Spektrum Satellite, can anybody explain which settings I should choose in config.h and/or help with the binding procedure?

waltr

Re: RX ID Help?

Post by waltr »

Looks like it could be a Spektrum Satellite RX. My first guess is a Lemon Satellite RX.
Binding to the TX requires the full RX. Then it will work stand alone.

Search to MW code and the forums here on how to setup the MW code. Lots of people have posted on this.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

I generally only post a forum question when there are certain search parameters I need help with. In this case, I can see there's more than enough info on MW and Spektrum Sat, but I didn't even know if I indeed have a SS.
As far as my questions regarding MW settings it comes down to the following parameters in config.h

Code: Select all

//#define SPEKTRUM 1024
      //#define SPEKTRUM 2048
      //#define SPEK_SERIAL_PORT 1    // Forced to 0 on Pro Mini and single serial boards; Set to your choice of 0, 1, or 2 on any Mega based board (defaults to 1 on Mega).

Does anybody know if the pictured RX is 2048 capable?

waltr

Post by waltr »

It would be easy enough to just try it and see if it works.
This can be done with just the RX, the MW FC and maybe a power source for the RX. No ESCs, motors, etc needed.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Thank you for the suggestions :D It is now pretty clear that the RX is indeed a Spektrum Satellite. The binding procedure is somewhat complicated but I seem to remember I was able to do it before using a custom Arduino sketch.
Now my biggest issue is whether or not I can use it with other builds besides the NanoWii (the HK Clone unfortunately...) Out of a lack of documentation for using the HK NanoWii in Flying Wing mode, I figure I should stick to the beaten path while I'm first getting started. So I'll use the NanoWii on my Quad setup and build a scratch board for the Flying Wing. Its always better to learn from scratch anyway.
So for my scratch setup I have my choice between the full-out Pro Mini+WMP+NK or a Pro Mini+ MCU 6050. I also have an Arduino Micro (though not the "Pro" Micro) and another miniature ATMega32u4 board called the "Lil'Nardo". My first choice was to build the original Mega328+Wii sensor layout since it had the most documentation. However, I have little confidence that my "free form" soldering techniques have done the trick with the wii sensors, so I'm trying out the MCU 6050 first.

The most immediate question is whether or not I can connect the Spektrum receiver to the Pro Mini and still have free ports open for GPS and/or video TX. The conversations I've seen suggest it is possible using a voltage regulator or level shifter of which I have both if need be. But I have no way of knowing how up-to-date most of this info is.

I would greatly appreciate if anyone could help point me towards information on either-
A. Connecting a Spektrum RX to a Pro Mini
B. Using a regulator or level shifter bteween the RX and Mini
C. whether or not I should replace the Pro Mini with a Leonardo-derivative with Software Serial support

Past experience working with SS on the Leo has proven that SS is not always preferable to HW Serial, so I could go either way at this point.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Quick update RE:the RX in question

I forgot that when I got the HK NanoWi FC, I also got this MultiWii "PocketQuad" which actually came with the RX- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1885026. The Pocketquad was pure junk and shipped with a broken bootloader and it doesnt even appear anymore on Hobbyking (nor have I ever ordered from HK again after they wouldnt let me return the faulty bootloader.
So the RX is taken from the "Pocketquad" and if my memory serves me right, the RX required a separate binding sketch at- https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sour ... ino?r=1469
So I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume this RX isnt worth the frustration. Nevertheless, The fact that the NanoWii has the input for a Satellite RX I still need to figure out the binding procedure for the Satellite. Does anybody have any suggestions for up to date instructions on this process?

waltr

Post by waltr »

Did you do a Google search for "Spektrum Satellite binding"?
Lots out there on the web about this.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

I figured it out and from what I could gather the most updated information is as follows-

A "Spektrum Satellite" is normally used as a "remote receiver", or extension for a standard RC (e.g "main")Receiver made by the Spektrum company. In earlier versions of MW, one needed to first bind to the "main" RX. However, newer Flight Controllers like the NanoWii allow you to connect the "Satellite" extensions directly without the "main" but it must be defined in .config.
There appears to be multiple ways of doing this, the easiest is probably through the wingui app, but i decided to use a sketch created for the original PocketQuad. https://code.google.com/p/multiwii/sour ... ino?r=1469
After flashing the NW with the bind sketch, I bound my DX5e TX by holding the trainer switch while turning on the power button for 5 seconds. I could see the red LED stop flashing when the binding was achieved.
I then reflashed my full MW firmware and everything seems to be working.

For the record however-
Did you do a Google search for "Spektrum Satellite binding"?
Lots out there on the web about this.

I only ever post a forum question if Google searches either come up short or return confusing answers. In this case, a search for "Spektrum Satellite Binding" returns nothing in the first page of results that are relevant to MultiWii. The first search hit pertaining to MultiWii is this thread from 2011- http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1504116 where it includes the following deprecated information-

Binding: At this moment in time, you must bind the Satellite to the TX by using a Spektrum "main" receiver. You must bind in 1024 mode and in 22MS refresh mode. Getting these modes is dependent on what TX/RX pair you use when binding. The simplest way is to use a 6xxx or 7xxx receiver.

Considering my current project goal is to compile the most recent and relevant build instructions so that any non-expert could get started with an open source alternative, it would be unreasonable to assume a novice would understand any of the above information. For one thing, the FC documentation simply stated it had "Spektrum Satellite Support". There's nothing that explains the difference between a Spektrum Satellite and a standard Spek. RX, nor does it explain what exactly a "main" receiver is.
None of this is anybodys fault of course, if anything, its usually a positive sign for an open source project to have had so many years of development. It does however make it less likely that every user will have a similar learning process. So some things that may seem obvious to those who have been involved since 2011, might not be so clear in the present documentation.
After all this is not like XDA-Developers where they get inundated by people asking them to write custom code for free.

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

Code: Select all

//**************************
  // Defines that allow a "Bind" of a Spektrum or Compatible Remote Receiver (aka Satellite) via Configuration GUI.
  //   Bind mode will be same as declared above, if your TX is capable.
  //   Ground, Power, and Signal must come from three adjacent pins.
  //   By default, these are Ground=4, Power=5, Signal=6.  These pins are in a row on most MultiWii shield boards. Pins can be overriden below. 
  //   Normally use 3.3V regulator is needed on the power pin!!  If your satellite hangs during bind (blinks, but won't complete bind with a solid light), go direct 5V on all pins.
  //**************************
  //   For Pro Mini, the connector for the Satellite that resides on the FTDI can be unplugged and moved to these three adjacent pins.
  //#define SPEK_BIND             //Un-Comment for Spektrum Satellie Bind Support.  Code is ~420 bytes smaller without it.
  //#define SPEK_BIND_GROUND 4
  //#define SPEK_BIND_POWER  5
  //#define SPEK_BIND_DATA   6

Basically, you uncomment these, hook up the speksat to those pins, and go to multiwii gui. It should then display a Bind button.

Also, make sure you are using a 3.3V regulator to the VCC pin.. otherwise the satellite will fry sooner or later.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Does this apply to the Hobbyking NanoWii? At the moment the only reason I'm using the SS is because the HK NanoWii has a dedicated 3-pin input. I'm also working on a Delta Wing from scratch for which I'm just using a standard DSM2 RX.

Arakon

Post by Arakon »

If the FC has a dedicated sat port, I'd assume it already has the regulator in place.
As for binding, the pins probably vary on a nanowii.