Most Versatile ESC/Motor Combo?

humblehacker

Most Versatile ESC/Motor Combo?

Post by humblehacker »

I'm looking for suggestions for some of the most versatile Motor/ESC combinations on the market. Of course, I'm fully aware that such general queries are invariably followed by some variation of "it depends on what your trying to do..." so I'll try to explain as much as possible...
I'm teaching a class on Robotics for Citizen Science. One of the main themes of the class is to show how you can create almost anything with an Arduino and/or Beaglebone. The only thing really getting in our way is the need to buy different motors and ESCs for every different build. It would be great if we could find a powerplant setup that could give us anything close to the versatility we enjoy with an Arduino and Multiwii. Plus, we only have enough funding for 4 ESC+Motors + spares. I would like to be able to use these motors in as many different configurations as possible. Anything from a single engine fixed wing, to a basic, but functional Quad. The perfect motor would even allow for use in Marine Robotics like in OpenROV but I'm fully aware that this is probably asking too much as marine motors need to be sealed. Any suggestions as to where to begin would be greatly appreciated!

Thank You Very Much!

waltr

Re: Most Versatile ESC/Motor Combo?

Post by waltr »

No, Prop/motor/esc combinations are chosen based to the task they are required to do, like fly the aircraft.
Your question is exactly the same as: What internal combustion engine can I buy that will work in every car or truck I might want to drive.

Now if you define constraints better then maybe there is prop/motor/esc combination that can work on different types of aircraft.
So you need to determine what you might be building as to size and weight.

humblehacker

Post by humblehacker »

Your question is exactly the same as: What internal combustion engine can I buy that will work in every car or truck I might want to drive.

If an internal combustion engine weighed 9 ounces and could be driven by an Arduino, then thats exactly the question I would be asking right now ;) Understand, this is not another "build my quad for me" request, but rather an experiment to create as many different machines as possible using the fewest components. The constraints are more or less self-imposed and therefore entirely flexible. So it very well may be that we'll need a 1300kv motor and 18amp ESC for fixed wing/quad aerial while a submersible vehicle based on OpenROV will require 800kv motors and an unmanned surface craft something else entirely. This would be fine, so long as we knew it was the minimal BOM possible.
So to be more specific, let's just assume I only have access to 5 1300kv brushless motors and 5 18 amp ESCs. I know I can use them in a multirotor and various fixed wing configurations, but would there be any obvious reason why they wouldn't work with something like OpenROV or an unmanned surface craft? If not, then is there a motor that might work well with all of the above? Let's also define our minimal weight constraints as enough to carry a Mobius ActionCam and at the very heaviest, Raspberry Pi...
I'm aware that this is a Multiwii forum, so I was initially limiting my question to a specific motor/ESC that people have used in as many different Aerial configurations as possible.

nebbian

Post by nebbian »

I think you're in the right ballpark with 1300 kV and 20 amp ESCs. These, combined with 3S batteries and 8" props should work in a variety of configurations, eg: tri, quad, hex or airplane.

Not sure about underwater applications, but with the right prop and waterproof seals (keep your motor inboard) you should be good to go.

e_lm_70

Post by e_lm_70 »

Yes, 1000 to 1300kv motor with 3S lipo power does cover many application.

About ESC ... I would suggest a 30Amp , that can handle SimonK firmware ... you can hack your own firmware for handle motor reverse and/or brake .. that could be useful for rover / boat application.

The best (that I know) SimonK ESC is the HobbyKing F30A: http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh ... duct=15205