help with Afro 20 ESCs

westwind

help with Afro 20 ESCs

Post by westwind »

I have a curis se 2.5, and find that the board is limiting my motor output to about 60%, when I hook motor directly to the RX I get lots of power. What settings should I change in the config.h file? I have tried to calibrate via the config.h file and unplugging directly into the RX. I have sent the min, max throttle to 1064 and 1864 (Simon K ESC) I'm wondering if I should just erase the EEPROM.

scrat

Re: help with Afro 20 ESCs

Post by scrat »

Set mincommand to 1000. Then set minthrott: 1064 and maxthrottle: 1950 and then calibrate all esc's at once. To do this you must uncomment #define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY, flash this hex to FC and disconnect USB.

IMPORTANT: REMOVE PROPS!!!!!! & turn off Tx.

Then connect battery to copter and wait about 10 sec, disconnect battery, commentout #define ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY...load new hex to FC. That is it. Prior every flashing new hex file to FC, do eeprom_clear.

danhouldsworth

Post by danhouldsworth »

FWIW - the Afro is my ESC of choice, and I always prefer to flash the ESC rather than manually calibrate. Two reasons i) I've had a batch of AfroESCs from HK which arrived with a very dodgy firmware / settings on it; ii) it uses an external oscillator for timing and so is accurate from hard coded PWM values thus avoids the (guess work?) of setting via manual calibration.
The stock values are :
.equ STOP_RC_PULS = 1060 ; Stop motor at or below this pulse length
.equ FULL_RC_PULS = 1860 ; Full speed at or above this pulse length
.equ MAX_RC_PULS = 2400 ; Throw away any pulses longer than this
.equ MIN_RC_PULS = 100 ; Throw away any pulses shorter than this

You can either change these to your needs if prepared to compile & build, or just reflash with the latest version of SimonK. But I always do one or the other before flying after the bad experience of unknown stock firmware.

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Hi all,

@danhouldsworth
which firmware version would you recommend? I am also playing currently with these 20A Afro ESC from HK.
Is there any overview of suggested firmware for multirotors?

Thanks!

Greetz Noc

danhouldsworth

Post by danhouldsworth »

Hi Noctaro

Here's my version : https://github.com/danhouldsworth/simpleSimonK

If you read through the commits (click https://github.com/danhouldsworth/simpl ... its/master if you're unfamiliar with GitHub) you can see how I've gone from the latest version of SimonK and stripped out unused features, and attempted to make it easier to follow (for me at least).

There's links through to SimonK's repo for plenty more documentation and pre-compiled hex's of the original.

Cheers,

Noctaro

Post by Noctaro »

Very nice! Thank you!