Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Farmer_joe

Re: Alternative ESC firmware (reflashing)

Post by Farmer_joe »

Great efforts, i have 4 12A Blue series ESC... that i can try to flash. Does somebody have pictures of connected esc, because it don't have pads on board.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

You can connect to mcu pins:

regards,
ziss_dm

Farmer_joe

Post by Farmer_joe »

Thanks i will look in to it, but soldering on the IC pins is going to be a challenge.

What is the difference beatween this firmware and simonk-s from RCG?

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Farmer_joe,

Short answer:
http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/About
;)

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

today I flew for the first time with the alternative ESCs (thanks ziss). 20A blueseries.
4 things to notice
  • the throttle curve needs to be different; hover was at 50%, now at 70%. That was described earlier, so no surprise here.
  • I am missing the last 10% (?) of power at max throttle. With the original ESCs the motors output more power (and I can see the alarm go on for the voltage drop at max throttle. With the alternative firmware, the copter outputs less power at max throttle (less speed rising) and the alarm for voltage drop does not get triggered (which I conveniently interpret as less power output because it fits with my overall observation)
  • togehter with new freeimu035-ms sensor board I could dial in PID values like never before. Even for me copter was very easy to fly in acro mode.
  • on 3rd battery one motor stopped during flight and copter fell 20m to ground. Reason unknown.
is this analogWrite(PWM_PIN[i], ((motor[i]>>2) - 250) + 2); the going code for the alternative firmware (to get maximum power output)?

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Hamburger,

Can you measure current/voltage/rpm at WOT?

is this analogWrite(PWM_PIN[i], ((motor[i]>>2) - 250) + 2); the going code for the alternative firmware (to get maximum power output)?

The length of positive pulse, generated by analogWrite(val) is val*8. So, for standard rc range we using:
analogWrite(125) -> 1000us
analogWrite(250) -> 2000us

The modified FW accepts range 16-2016us:
analogWrite(2) -> minimum to arm
analogWrite(252) -> WOT

You can use "AnalogInOut" example from arduino to generate PWM, just constrain the output to the 2-252 range.

on 3rd battery one motor stopped during flight and copter fell 20m to ground. Reason unknown.

On the ground everything was working?

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ok, need to reassemble.
Can measure volt & ampere. Rpm-meter is on backorder.
Will assemble test and compare ESC firmwares.

Motors do not always start, sometimes slowly turn wrong direction. But if started properly, no misbehaviour. Reason for crash could have been anything.

Matt.

HK Mystery Firedragon ESC 30A

Post by Matt. »

Hi Guys

I am new to quad copers but have a electronics and programming background. I have purchased a bunch of parts from Vocanlo the ebay seller and assembled.
I seem to be getting a bit of clicking in the motors which I assume is due to the speed controller refresh rate issue.
I am exploring the idea of reflashing to regain the use of the ESC and just for fun :-) I have attached a picture of the ESC's for you to have a look at and was hoping someone could let me know if reflashing these has been done before? Also weather the software is mature enough to try on my first copter.

HK-Myster-Firedragon-ESC.jpg

Here are the specs of the copter

EMAX BL2215/20 motors
Mystery Firedragon ESC 30A
Crius Multiwii SE flight control
EP 10x4.5 Props

Matt

dynai

Robbe Roxxy 720 / Dragonsky 20A

Post by dynai »

Hi,

thanks ziss_dm, quax an all the contributors.
i've been using Quax 17a firmware on my Roxxy 720 for a while now and it was a big improvement over the original software.

EDIT: after trying Mystery, Plush, Qynx without success i finally compared the old BL_TP17ppm.inc with the hw inc's and found that the A/B/C n/p Fets match on the TurbJet60A
(yeah i know i should have checked first)
today i did a testflight and it feels more stable than before, thank you!

CIMG4184_.jpg

CIMG4178_.jpg

kind regards

Christoph

P.S.: im running them on 3S... and there was this remove/leave resistors discussion... till now i had them on and it worked i guess i can leave them where they are (correct me if im wrong)

dynai

Post by dynai »

Just one question.

whats the difference between pwm_fast_200.inc and pwm_rc_200.inc respectively how do i choose the right inc? Sorry for this stupid question...

When should one use the pwm_fast_200.inc? Right now im using pwm_rc_200.inc

kind regards

Christoph

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Christoph,

The shor answer:
pwm_rc... - 50hz update rate to connect to the standard receiver
pwm_fast.. - 490hz update reate to connect to flight boards.

but pwm_fast.. also works with standard receiver. ;)

P.S.: im running them on 3S... and there was this remove/leave resistors discussion... till now i had them on and it worked i guess i can leave them where they are (correct me if im wrong)

Your board does not have them.. ;)

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm,

finally I managed to fix one of the motors from the crashed copter for a test and attach 2 ESCs for comparison. On basis of AnalogInOut" example I did test runs with both ESCs like you prescribed. Motor is Turnigy 2205 50turn 1088kv 8A Outrunner with 9x4,7 slowfly prop, ESCs are HK blue 20A (one stock, one flashed)

ziss_dm wrote:Can you measure current/voltage/rpm at WOT? [...]
The length of positive pulse, generated by analogWrite(val) is val*8. So, for standard rc range we using:
analogWrite(125) -> 1000us
analogWrite(250) -> 2000us

ok, for stock ESC I get max. 6.7A, 10.5V.
The modified FW accepts range 16-2016us:
analogWrite(2) -> minimum to arm
analogWrite(252) -> WOT

ok, for flashed ESC (labeled V2 nFET) I get max. 5.7A, 10.5V.

I repeated tests several times intermixing the two ESCs. Values are not exact (with battery going weak over time?), but do represent the overall figure. So indeed the flashed ESC outputs less power, right?
How to proceed? I could order one such motor being delivered to your address, if that helps?
Regards, Hamburger

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Hamburger,
I will doublecheck with my setup.. In a meantime can you flash latest revision?

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ziss_dm,
ziss_dm wrote:I will doublecheck with my setup.. In a meantime can you flash latest revision?

I will do that coming weekend. I should use Mystery-20A-nFet.cmd?
Currently I only have the gnu toolchain available that comes with the Arduino IDE. From the command files you provide I can see you use a windows tool by the name of avrasm2.exe. Is it possible to do the compile with gnu toolchain also (it comes with 'gnu-as' and would you happent to know the cmdline syntax?) Or maybe you could upload the ready to run hexfile for me here (that way we could be sure to talk about exactly the same version)?
In the mean time I did purchase a usbasp programmer (never used it), so I should be able to get that uploading done (with avrdude from what I have read.)

Just curious, could it be the specifics of this type of motor that cause the flashed ESC to not output maximum power compared to stock ESC? If it helps I could repeat test with another motor brand.

Thanks, Hamburger

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

oh, and about my crash the other day:
it was cold around zero deg celsius that day, and I have read from blueseries ESC having trouble and szop ( over at RCG) not sure if this applies here as well wwith this fw.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

I am currently trying to build the firmware for mystery 20A ESCs.
Want to run it from arduino with extended input range - so should I use pwm_arduino_250 for input?
And what is the difference between Mystery20A_nFET and Mystery20A_nFET-HDD, please?

So far I have failed using avra or gnu-as to build a hex file. It is the combination of cpp and assembler directives that produce failure. I currently have no access to Win*, so any solution working on *nix or macosx would be welcome.

(I did manage to use avra and build the firmwares from the simonk project (over at RCG) but want to use this wii-ESC firmware.
Ideas? Thanks.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

status update: success!
With the help of Crashlander and, of course, ziss_dm, I managed to update my Mystery20A ESCs to latest firmware r192 to run with MultiWii.
Yesterday I did a bench test; current draw was approx. 6.6A; basically same range as with stock ESC - good, earlier problem with reduced power solved.?.
Today I went outside and flew 3 batteries in the snow before I called it quits with hands falling off. Copter feels as powerful as with stock ESCs. And it is so much more stable. Besides, the sound is better too. I am very satisfied with this now. Well worth the effort.

things to do:
once I get my rpm-meter, do a comparison of rpm and current between stock ESC and wii-ESC;
bribe someone with good eyes to solder wires to my ESCs and convert other copters to wii-ESC.

Thanks, Hamburger

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Hamburger,

This is good to hear! ;) Are you feel brave enough to flight test "Complimentary PWM" (Active braking) version? ;)

PS. Big thanks to Heiko, who created wiki pages for wii-esc project: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/About

regards,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm,
ziss_dm wrote:This is good to hear! ;) Are you feel brave enough to flight test "Complimentary PWM" (Active braking) version? ;)

yes, when I get the rpm-meter to produce more info.
What does it do? (charge battery with the induced energy while reducing rpm?)
PS. Big thanks to Heiko, who created wiki pages for wii-esc project: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/About

yes, it was helpful. Heiko is busy and cannot update wiki at the moment. Here's my addon with questions unanswered in wiki:
what is the meaning of the components of names?
iinput:
input - input rate pwm from RX
- _rc_ means 50Hz
- _fast_ means 490Hz (also runs at 50Hz)
- _arduino_ probably 490Hz,

input - steps resolution
- _50, _100, _200, _250 exactly that; steps resolution on the pwm input side (?)

for this I did not find any info:
hardware
- -HDD Heiko says: it is for hard disk (HDD) motors, some parameter differ. ??? when to choose this???

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

The complimentary pwm should have the following advantages:
1) Higher efficiency and less heat
2) battery re-generation
3) faster response on reduce power.

This is bench tests:

As you can see, slopes almost 2x times shorter.

HDD hardware config should not be used in real life, it is only for development.. ;)

regards,
ziss_dm

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

Hi,
I need to reflash my ESC's to use it with MWC (in 490Hz pulse mode). My ESCs from ebay are using Atmega8 and have exactly the same pin assignment like bl-17A or HK Super Simple but doesn't have 16MHz resonator. I'm quite comfortable with flashing firmware and fuses, can even compile .asm (when I know what sources should I compile) and I already successfully reflashed some HK SS with Quax "old good" bl-17 firmware. Now I'm reading for some time this forum but I'm completely lost in compiling this "configurable" firmwares because I can't orientate which parts of the source should I include. Additionally I can't find definition file to fit my pinout, even if I expected that bl-17 pinout is the basic and reference one. Can someone help me to build the .hex for 8MHz int. osc. or at least clearly say what parts do I need and what definition file fits bl-17A circuit? I'm afraid freely modify pins in the definition file because there are obviously different philosophy of control needing different hardware comparators etc. and this I don't understand. Sorry and thanks!
Roman

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Roman,

The closest to the original "bl-17A" is "TurboJet60A.inc". In case you confident with schematic, you can start from this file and just change:

Code: Select all

F_CPU               8000000

The help on configuration parameters: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/H ... figuration
The help on assembling of the firmware: http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/wiki/F ... Assembling

regards,
ziss_dm

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

hi ziss_dm,
thanks a lot for the advices!
Today I spent whole evening trying to build firmware for my ESC. First I tried to build it using prepared .cmd files but I was unable to make it working due to paths. Then I tried locate all necessary programs and adjust paths but it simply doesn't work. Unfortunately the building Wiki isn't enough detailed for my knowledge.
So I decided to build it using AVR studio as always. I copied necessary files to the project folder and manually included what I supposed was necessary. (like this:)
;!! Wer mit den Nutzungbedingungen nicht einverstanden ist, darf die Software nicht nutzen !!

.include "m8def.inc"
.include "TurboJet60A.inc"
.include "pwm_rc_200.inc"
.include "ppm.inc"

.equ NO_POWER = 256 - PWR_PCT_TO_VAL(PCT_PWR_MIN) ; (POWER_OFF)
It compiled ok:
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.asm(23): Including file 'C:\Program Files\Atmel\AVR Tools\AvrAssembler2\Appnotes\m8def.inc'
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.asm(25): Including file 'C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\TurboJet60A.inc'
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\TurboJet60A.inc(1): Including file 'C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\common.inc'
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.asm(27): Including file 'C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\pwm_rc_200.inc'
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.asm(29): Including file 'C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ppm.inc'
C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.asm(1545): No EEPROM data, deleting C:\Documents and Settings\roman\Dokumenty\AVR\ESC_Roman\ESC_Roman.eep

ATmega8 memory use summary [bytes]:
Segment Begin End Code Data Used Size Use%
---------------------------------------------------------------
[.cseg] 0x000000 0x000812 2042 24 2066 8192 25.2%
[.dseg] 0x000060 0x0000d7 0 119 119 1024 11.6%
[.eseg] 0x000000 0x000000 0 0 0 512 0.0%

Assembly complete, 0 errors. 0 warnings

I tried to test ESC with the motor and it makes thee initial ascending beeps (sounds normal so timing is corresponding to CPU speed), but then (even it's connected to the receiver) I miss long beep which means "PPM detected" and ESC doesn't react to the throttle stick.
I tried to include also ppm_light.inc but the result is the same.
Do you have any advice? Or more simple - could you please build for me version with TurboJet60A.inc only changed to 8MHz clock with input suitable for Multiwii software? I checked the pin assignment and it's OK.
Thank you in advance.
Roman

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Roman,

See attachment.
But also try to trim down throttle on your radio.

regards,
ziss_dm
Attachments
bl17a_8mhz.zip
(4.48 KiB) Downloaded 230 times

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

Hi Ziss, could you tell which FastPWM firmware fits HK SS 15(18) - simply one (with all black cables - non programmable one)
I heard that ESC has a 16MHz crystal and many modified firmware doesn't work fine with above ESC...and if you have a good one compiled .hex .... it will be great :-)

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

Hi rurek,
if you think this one:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... A_ESC.html
then I can advise you to use bl-17A compatible firmwares. For standard MWC or KK board output it in my case works perfect, I'm not sure if it's the input signal you need to use. I'm using the very old original Quax firmware (posted). It can miss some new features as it's many years old. From this project it should be TurboJet60A variant. I'm not any expert, just "enduser" so please firstly do careful testing with limited power source.
BTW: Do you know that HK SS of newer batches have CPU in the extremely small SMD package where it is very difficult to connect programming wires? I suceed with it, but it needed very thin "trafo" wires, very sharp solder tip, strong magnifying glass and a LOT of patience...
Good luck!
Roman
Attachments
bl-17a.zip
Old original Bernhard Konze's firmware for bl-17a ESC
(2.56 KiB) Downloaded 213 times

Rurek

Post by Rurek »

Hi Roman, thx for advice.....yes, I thought about this model of HK SS.
I find some info that one of my collegue reflashed this ESC with 17a410_ppm_r06 from home.versanet.de and probably works fine.... I also think about Ziss's firmware....and need an info about possibility to use one Ziss fimware version/revison....
About small Atmega package, you''re right :-) These photos was taken by my collegue during upgrading HK SS 15(18) with 17a firmware...

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

Yes, this is the board where bl-17a firmware works perfect!
I'm using old original version which works great, these new modifications have some improvements but my ESC's are about two years closed in heatschrink and flying great so I don't have reason to test anything else.
Another experience with those HK SS - when it happen that some N FET burns in that ESC, it always (at least with 3S battery) burns also corresponding Atmega8 output driving it so even if you exchange the FET and ESC seems to work again, it gives only half of power.
roman

rbirdie001

Post by rbirdie001 »

ziss_dm wrote:Hi Roman,

See attachment.
But also try to trim down throttle on your radio.

regards,
ziss_dm

Thank you ziss_dm, I tested your firmware (with the fuses 94 C3) and firstly it behaved exactly the same as one I compiled - only 3 beeps and not the 4th. I then trimmed my radio even lower (~980microsec "ZERO" pulse) an I started getting 4th beep. Unfortunately it doesn't work anyway - when I move up throttle stick, motor starts shaking but doesn't start turning.
In meantime I found another similar project here: https://github.com/sim-/tgy#readme and the tp.hex firmware works for my ESC. I don't really understand how they tweak internal RC oscillator to 16MHz but some way it works.
Thanks you anyway once more for all your help!
Roman

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm.
ziss_dm wrote:The complimentary pwm should have the following advantages:
1) Higher efficiency and less heat
2) battery re-generation
3) faster response
As you can see, slopes almost 2x times shorter.

for my small indlor TRI I found 3 10A plush Escs atmel to use.
So we can proceed tests if you want.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hamburger,

The complementary PWM pssible only on nFET boards. ;( So it would not work on plush..

regrads,
ziss_dm

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

ziss_dm,
ziss_dm wrote:The complementary PWM pssible only on nFET boards. ;( So it would not work on plush..

again, on my big TRI with the 20A mystery blue ESCs flashed to r192 of wii-esc, during 4th flight one motor just stopped at height of 20m. Temperature is around 0 deg C (water freezing) if that matters - but it was 4th flight and copter had been lying in cold before first flight for > 1 hour.

Apart from the crash the flight experience in 20km/h winds was amazing (I felt I had to use level mode most of the time.)

Once I will have repaired the broken parts of the CF frame (and having checked for faulty electrics and electronics) now I am all for trying another version of firmware on these ESCs. I have a spare motor, another stock ESC and one spare flashable ESC to compare whatever you want me to run. Can measure amperes, volts and rpms if neccessary.

Hamburger

feket663

Post by feket663 »

Dear All! I'm sorry of my newbie questions, but I can't found the solution for my problem. I'd like build a tricopter with Multiwii controller, but dont know, which ESC good for MWC. I read the forum, and I think the best solution is the Mistery or HK Blue series ESC, but currently don't stock in Hobby King. I found another esc, which have Atmega controller, external resonator, etc. this is the HK F-20 or F30 type ESC.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15205__Hobby_King_30A_ESC_3A_UBEC.html
I read on Simon Kirby's site, the recommended firmware exactly same with Blue Series esc. Can I use on this esc the Quax firmware?

Thanks for help, and sorry for my bad english.

Sincerely: Istvan Fekete from Hungary

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Hi Istvan,

feket663 wrote:I read on Simon Kirby's site, the recommended firmware exactly same with Blue Series esc. Can I use on this esc the Quax firmware?

At least I can see 6 programming solder pads on the right, so this is a good start.

Can you post a picture of the rear side as well? You need to check if the ESC uses N-FET or P- and N-FETs to drive the motor, as this determines which firmware to use. I found this website a very helpful resource to flash my own ESCs (HK SS20-HW, just succeeded with this yesterday)

feket663

Post by feket663 »

here is the other side:

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

Thanks. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems as this ESC uses 85N3L N-FETs only. So Simon's "bs_nfet" should be the appropriate firmware, according to the spreadsheet. But I don't know which Quax firmware would be the correct one.

The pad layout likely is this one:

feket663

Post by feket663 »

LenzGr wrote:Thanks. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it seems as this ESC uses 85N3L N-FETs only.

That's correct.

If this ESC work with same Simon's firmware than Blue Series, can work with same Quax firmware than Blue Series?

LenzGr

Post by LenzGr »

feket663 wrote:If this ESC work with same Simon's firmware than Blue Series, can work with same Quax firmware than Blue Series?

I honestly don't know, you would have to ask quax directly (he actually contributed to this thread before). But why do you insist on using quax' firmware? To my knowledge, both Simon Kirby and ziss_dm have used his work as the foundation and further evolved the code base since then.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Hi ziss_dm,
Hamburger wrote:Once I will have repaired the broken parts of the CF frame (and having checked for faulty electrics and electronics) now I am all for trying another version of firmware on these ESCs. I have a spare motor, another stock ESC and one spare flashable ESC to compare whatever you want me to run. Can measure amperes, volts and rpms if neccessary.

I repaired the TRI's frame and have it flying again with your 20A blueseries ESCs. It still feels having (only a little) less power than the original ESCs (over at the RCG thread I found one other post mentioning that same observation of lesser power, btw.). No crash this time with 3 batteries worth of flights - temperature is up to around 10 degreees Celsius (above freeze point)

If you provide the new firmware I will give it a try in flight and on the test stand comparing original, current and the 'complementary PWM' versions. So, please fire away.
ready and (patiently) waiting, Hamburger

Matt.

A little help getting started please

Post by Matt. »

Hi,

I just purchased the following AVR JTAG debugger and was hoping some could help me with setting up AVR studio to detect it. :-)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-JTAG-ada ... 43a7165ae3

When I connect it to my pc the serial port appears in my device tree but AVR studio does not detect it. I am also unsure which type of JTAG it is suppose to emulate.

Thanks in Advance

Matt

confused_individual

Post by confused_individual »

Hi all,

Firstly - wow! Your firmware is solving the rather huge problem of getting an arduino to talk to an ESC. Thank you so much Quax and ziss_dm!!

However, I'm having (what I think is) a slightly odd problem:

I've got an Arduino Duemilanove and some 'Black Mantis' 30A ESC (blueseries brand - http://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attac ... %20row.jpg)

I've flashed the hex made up of the 'Mystery20A_nFET' and input 'pwm_arduino_250' files. Everything went ok, but I'm not too sure what the fuse settings should be (or whether I need to touch them at all - but I don't think this is the problem.)

Then I've connected everything together (with the esc signal in the correct arduino port, and the brown going into the ground.) A program on the arduino is set up to output a slowly increasing analogwrite value of 0 to 200 and back again (takes about a minute then repeats.)

BUT, the ESC is not arming. Here's where it gets odd though - when I take out the ground (brown) wire and touch it (with my geeky, sweaty fingers), the esc beeps (arms) and the motor starts twitching. When I put the wire back into the arduino, everything is fine and the motor starts up and follows the programmed values.

The ESC also *sometimes* arms when the ground is disconnected before I switch everything on (without having to touch the end of it.)

Do I have to send some particular signal to arm the ESC with the firmware?
- I've tried starting the ESC with analogwrite values of 0, 5, 6, 10, 20, 25 and even 50 and 100.
- If this is the solution, why would me touching the ground signal have an effect?
Are there any settings in the .inc files I need to change to get it to work?
- The 'Mystery20A_nFET.inc' Preferences section does not have an 'Overclock' section (as described on the google code wiki) which says that enabling this can have the effect of the esc not arming.

(I've read every page of this thread, but sorry if I've missed something.)

Many thanks,
Rich

ALSO - can't really donate much (as a poor student), but if you were to add a 'donate' button, or send me a paypal address, I'd at least like to offer you a couple of pints.

funth1ngs

Post by funth1ngs »

Hi Rich,

confused_individual wrote:- I've tried starting the ESC with analogwrite values of 0, 5, 6, 10, 20, 25 and even 50 and 100.

I don't know Arduino very well, but the AnalogWrite docu says that with 0 the pin is always low. And with 5, the high pulse is maybe too long, because MIN_RC_PULS=18 with pwm_arduino_250.

Try 1 or 2 as AnalogWrite values to "arm" the ESC.

Cheers,
Heiko.

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

Hello guys.
I'm absolutelly confused with MT3506 motor..
So, there is still nobody made it work well on 4s lipo?
My configuration is:
Mt3506 motor
Rctimer 18a on atmega
4s lipo
11x5 prop

Today i have tryed to flash simonk firmware and many different versions of WII firmware with different options. But there is still no success :( Two problems with different versions of wii firmware:
1. On some versions motor just do not start properly (oscilating all the time on any throttle stick position)
2. On other version it starts good, but on throttle increase just resets

So, there is still no solution of those problems or i just use wrong firmware?

howardhb

Post by howardhb »

After procrastinating for a long time, I've flashed the three HK Super Simple 20Amp ESC's on my Tri-copter with latest TGY firmware.
Instead of just soldering the programming wires, I made a "clamp" type connector from a plastic clothes-peg and hot-melt glue.
ESC_RE-FLASH connect tool.jpg

I'm using an AVRISPmkII with AVRStudio.
A handy feature of the AVRISPmkII its that it has a status LED that indicates a good connection to the pads on the ESC.
ESC_RE-FLASH tool. Connecting.jpg

I got lazy after removing the shrink sleeve and flashing the first one...
Simply cut a small "window" in the correct position in the shrink tube....apply the clamp - Voila!
Lazy Connect.jpg

I calibrated all three esc's (together) on a tri-Y-lead to a servo-tester.
I'm soo glad I've finally done this!
There is no more irritating "whine" from the motors, no more "clicking" noise!
There is a remarkable difference in the "feel" of the copter.
It's more stable in the wind and responds to turbulence far better.

THANK-YOU to everyone that contributed to getting it right!

Howard.

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi,

@Rich
"pwm_arduino_250" accepts pulse lengthes 16-2016 which corresponds to the analogWrite(2-252). With analogWrite(2) it should arm. With wii-esc you should use "original" fuses, e.g 16Mhz external oscillator (if you not planning to use bootloader)

@Wishnu
Can you please flash "latest" version froom here:
http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/source ... vn%2Ftrunk
It should not reset.

regards,
ziss_dm

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

ziss_dm wrote:Hi,
@Wishnu
Can you please flash "latest" version froom here:
http://code.google.com/p/wii-esc/source ... vn%2Ftrunk
It should not reset.

regards,
ziss_dm

Thank you! Now it do not resets :)
But one more question.
With the regular ESC firmware i've got 920gramms of thrust with my motor +12x3.8APC
With WII firmware i've got only 760gramms of thrust with the same setup. What do i need to change in the skatch? Seems like the motor just do not get the highest RPM

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Wishnu,

Now it do not resets

This is good to know.. ;)

With the regular ESC firmware i've got 920gramms of thrust with my motor +12x3.8APC
With WII firmware i've got only 760gramms

You actually second one, who reported power drop. ;( I will try to investigate in next couple of days.

regards,
ziss_dm

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

ziss_dm wrote:Hi Wishnu,
You actually second one, who reported power drop. ;( I will try to investigate in next couple of days.

regards,
ziss_dm

I've found out, that with the pwm_arduino_250 the thrust is about 850-870 gramms which is near stock firmware 920gr

ziss_dm

Post by ziss_dm »

Hi Wishnu,

What input profile you was using initially?

regards,
ziss_dm

Wishnu

Post by Wishnu »

initially i use pwm_fast_250
Later i have tryed to use pwm_fast_200 and it works okay - thrust ~900gr again.
So i think it's my mistake - i've choosen wrong input profile :oops: