Advantages of Simon K ESC over standard

brewski

Advantages of Simon K ESC over standard

Post by brewski »

I have been reading a lot about Simon K flashed ESCs & see that you can either do it yourself with some ESCs or buy them already flashed.
Can someone explain what are the advantages for quad use compared to stock ESCs such a the Hobbypower 30A which came with my X525 quad kit?

Cheers...B

waltr

Re: Advantages of Simon K ESC over standard

Post by waltr »

Been explained many times. Do a web search on "simonk ESC" to learn more.

brewski

Post by brewski »

Hi Walrt,
I did prior to this post & got some conflicting advice

NOTE (SimonK): Before you buy these, you should make yourself familiar with the somewhat experimental nature of the SimonK firmware. This software pushes the motor response to the limit, so there may be motor and prop combinations that won't work. Due to the lack of overcurrent/overheat/low voltage sensing (needed for multirotors), it's easier to destroy the ESC and possibly the motor too. I'm can't tell you what will or won't work, other than the motors I sell that I've personally used, so please consult the main SimonK threads on various forums for more info. Neither I, nor SimonK will be responsible for any damage that may occur, so know and accept the risks before using these. That said, I've personally had fantastic results with this firmware and wouldn't use anything else!

such as this so just asking for users experience

waltr

Post by waltr »

Ok, it is confusing partly due to several versions of the simonk code.
You do need to ensure that the simonk version is a good match for the ESC, motor, prop combination you are using.

The most issues of it not working and burning out motors and ESCs is when using the 'pancake' style motors with/or high cell count batteries.

When it does work it is with the high performance copters running flight controller code that can update the speed signal the the ESCs at a high rate.
Airplane ESCs want a signal rate of 50Hz and simonk code can use a rate of up to 490Hz. What this means is that in flight the the motors respond much quicker to the FC's control and to stick inputs yielding a much more responsive copter. I have one FC board (Flip Pro) that uses the higher signal rate and it does respond much quicker to stick inputs.
Also, there are feature in many airplane ESCs that are undesirable in multi-rotors. One is any change of motor speed is averaged so that the motors do not increase in speed very fast. In a multi-rotor we need the motors to change speed quickly since this is how the FC maintains the copter's level or angle. simonk eliminates this speed change averaging so even at a lower signal rate the motors still respond quickly.

brewski

Post by brewski »

So main benefit would be for stunt flying. For general flying & FPV the stock standard ESCs would probably do a reasonable job.
What inbuilt program settings of a standard ESC such as my Hobbypower 30A do you suggest to get the best performance for multirotor application?

I have seen some SimonK flashed 30A ESC (make & model unknown as covered in shrinkwrap after flashing) advertised on EBay for $10 delivered http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/global.mart/ ... pg=&_from=. Do you think it would be worth trying?

Thanks...B

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Even for "normal" flying you'll see an improvement with simonK. Even if you're not making fast stick movements the controller can and does make faster adjustments leading to more stability and a more "locked in" feel. Remember even when you're "just" hovering the controller is making constantly tiny adjustments to keep things stable.

I started with a set of the HK "multistar" ESC's and thought I was happy with them. Kept putting off trying SimonK since I figured the multistars were supposedly already designed for multi-rotor use. Once I finally gave SimonK a try I became an instant convert as the change to my quad was huge. It was similar to the change I saw going from WMP/Nunchuck sensors to a MPU-6050. I had to retune my PID's but the quad is so much more stable and locked in now it still blows me away.

The only real downside to SimonK is you can potentially muck things up if the flash goes bad, but testing with an automotive headlight in series on your power supply before putting the ESC into use will let you quickly identify any issues and reflash.

You also give up things like overcurrent protection so you have to actually be smart about your design and make sure you've sized things correctly so you don't burn out the ESC or motor. And you give up low voltage detection which really you shouldn't be using on a multi anyway.

None of which IMHO is really an actual downside.

scrat

Post by scrat »

simonk FW on ESC's...no CONS.