3DR Radios

3DR Radios

Postby alduxvm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi!!

I'm controlling a MW board from Matlab/Simulink, I can send the RC commands and receive the attitude reading, with the USB cable plug in, works excellent, of course, but I need to have wirelessly...

I tried to just plug a 3DR radio on each side, and I get a super super lagged response, I know the limitations of this radios, but i cannot believe that send close to 20 chars and receiving the similar quantity will be enough for having 3 second delay...

Am I doing something wrong??? 3DR radios is not the way to go??? what other suggestion do you have??

cheers!!
User avatar
alduxvm
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby waltr » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:55 pm

What is a 3DR radio?
Link to specs/data sheet?
waltr
 
Posts: 414
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm
Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsyvania, USA

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby EOSBandi » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:15 pm

1. Change 3dradio firmware to the multiwii aware one. (http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list, Sik-Mw 2.3)
1. set serial speed to 56k
2. set air speed to 64k
3. disable ERROR CORRECTION
4. Enable Mavlink framing (with sik-mw 2.3 it means multiwii framing)
5. Use WinGUI 2.3 for as GUI for smooth telemetry...

That is all
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby alduxvm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Do I need the SiLabs debug adapter to change the firmware on the radios???

forget that question...

Im uploading the firmware with the python script, but I have a error, have you ever encounter this one?????:

Code: Select all
rdg_mac:Sik-mw-2.3 2049632v$ python sik_uploader.py --port /dev/tty.usbserial-AM0264PU radio~hm_trp.ihx
uploading to port /dev/tty.usbserial-AM0264PU
Connecting to /dev/tty.usbserial-AM0264PU
Trying autosync

+++Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "sik_uploader.py", line 278, in <module>
    if not up.check():
  File "sik_uploader.py", line 237, in check
    self.autosync()
  File "sik_uploader.py", line 207, in autosync
    except fdpexpect.TIMEOUT:
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'TIMEOUT'


cheers!!!
User avatar
alduxvm
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby alduxvm » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:41 pm

Actually... how did you flash them???
User avatar
alduxvm
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby EOSBandi » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:59 am

alduxvm wrote:Actually... how did you flash them???


http://www.ardupilot.co.uk/ardupilot-software.html
Upload custom firmware
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby alduxvm » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:59 pm

waltr wrote:What is a 3DR radio?
Link to specs/data sheet?


I'm using this ones:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... 15Mhz.html
User avatar
alduxvm
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby climb4hope » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:22 pm

EOSBandi wrote:1. Change 3dradio firmware to the multiwii aware one. (http://code.google.com/p/mw-wingui/downloads/list, Sik-Mw 2.3)



Andras,

What is specific about Sik-Mw firmware? Do you have the description somewhere and source code as well?
What is different there comparing to standard firmware using non-mavlink comm type?
Thank you.
User avatar
climb4hope
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby EOSBandi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:43 pm

Here is the source
http://code.google.com/p/sik-multiwii/source/list
You can check the mods.. it is simply rewrite mavlink framing track to MSP framing....

The idea is that the variable air packet length is in sync with the incoming or outgoing MSP packets....
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby climb4hope » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:36 am

Thank you!
User avatar
climb4hope
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 pm
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby alduxvm » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:52 am

Thank you very much EOSBandi!!

I can confirm this firmware works on the original 3DR modems as well in the HK clones!!

:)
User avatar
alduxvm
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby Steve_In_Brussels » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:12 pm

It seems to work very well and I had no problems with the upgrade. Even using the Bluetooth Bridge to my Android phone works with it well straight off. :D :D EOSBandi ==> Thanks for the good work. :D :D

I was wondering though -- why switch off the ECC? The 3DR Radio doc advises you to leave ECC switched on even though it reduces the effective baudrate (because it improves the range more than just reducing the baudrate). I'm a little mystified.
Steve_In_Brussels
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 12:36 pm
Location: Brussels

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby robertha » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:34 pm

Hi,

when using the 433 MHz telemetry from HK or RCT then the ground station local noise is very high (80dB) and affect range significantly. I tested using second Air module instead (purchased from RCT) connected to USB by using USB to 232 TTL convertor - I use the FeiYu Tech cable from Hobbyking SKU: 276000001 - the value of local noise drop down to 40 dB - I did not test the range yet, but expect it will be doubled with existing antenas.
robertha
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:12 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby EOSBandi » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:28 pm

robertha wrote:Hi,

when using the 433 MHz telemetry from HK or RCT then the ground station local noise is very high (80dB) and affect range significantly. I tested using second Air module instead (purchased from RCT) connected to USB by using USB to 232 TTL convertor - I use the FeiYu Tech cable from Hobbyking SKU: 276000001 - the value of local noise drop down to 40 dB - I did not test the range yet, but expect it will be doubled with existing antenas.


433Mhz ground modules with embedded usb are wrong. 3DR ditched the design due noise problems and went with the extension cable (just like you). So on 433 avoid ground modules with usb....
User avatar
EOSBandi
 
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:32 am
Location: Budapest, Hungary

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby m3us » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:07 pm

EOSBandi wrote:
robertha wrote:Hi,

when using the 433 MHz telemetry from HK or RCT then the ground station local noise is very high (80dB) and affect range significantly. I tested using second Air module instead (purchased from RCT) connected to USB by using USB to 232 TTL convertor - I use the FeiYu Tech cable from Hobbyking SKU: 276000001 - the value of local noise drop down to 40 dB - I did not test the range yet, but expect it will be doubled with existing antenas.


433Mhz ground modules with embedded usb are wrong. 3DR ditched the design due noise problems and went with the extension cable (just like you). So on 433 avoid ground modules with usb....


Do you have any suggestions for good modules for this purpose ie controlling the Fc from PC wirelessly?
m3us
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:53 pm

Re: 3DR Radios

Postby NikTheGreek » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi.

Those modules http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=27096
can be flashed with SiK-mW 2.3 software ?
User avatar
NikTheGreek
 
Posts: 348
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:17 pm
Location: Greece


Return to ESCs, propellers , servos and radios

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests