Few questions for you

croccodillo

Few questions for you

Post by croccodillo »

Hello all,

I've been a member of the forum for a long time now, and posted in the past regarding my old Quadcopter.
I started with a homemade frame which didn't work due to its weight; next I built a second one, and at the end I bought a Tarot SK450 frame, which I'm currently running.
I've used 30A no-brand (from the bay) ESCs, together with Aeolian 2830 1000KV motors; recently, due to a bad landing (I suppose), one motor and one ESC burned, so I have to replace them.

Since I'm not very happy with both the motors and ECs, I decided to take the chance and swap the four motors+ESCs for something better.

I will flash SimonK software (now I'm running stock firmware, and maybe this is the cause for my bad feeling), so a compatible set of ESCs is mandatory.

I'm also using 10x4.5 propellers, which I think are quite too big for the frame.

Control board is Crius MultiWii Lite.

I use a 3S 3300mA LiPo Battery.

So, my questions:

1. Propellers: Would 8" propellers work with the frame? currently, the Quadcopter weights about 850 grams, without battery.

2. Which ESC would you recommend?
I'd like to buy from Hobbyking, are their "SS Series 18-20A ESC" any good?
Please recommend any other (cheap) ESC that will fit the bill.

3. Motors: again, which one would you suggest, from Hobbyking site?
I would like to use a little bit "faster" motors (1400KV) in manner I can use smaller propellers:
I suppose the SimonK software should drive faster motors without issues. Is it true?
I saw THIS.

Please help me choosing my new power plant!

Ciao,
Giovanni

tovrin

Re: Few questions for you

Post by tovrin »

1. to determine propeller size, weight limitations, throttle curve measuring etc, use a calculator, as the one below.
2. i run aeolian motors as well (2830 750kv), i hated them on generic ESCs, i love them on simonk ESCs, super smooth flight.
3. i despise hobbyking and refuse to buy anything there, lucky for me in America i have witespyquads nearby. also linked below.

http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc.htm?ecalc&lang=en

http://witespyquad.gostorego.com/