Motors not spinning until throttle at 40%

mcentyre

Motors not spinning until throttle at 40%

Post by mcentyre »

I am building my first quad with HobbyKing Red Brick 50A ESCs. Had I done more homework before purchasing, I would have chose a different ESC. These ESCs have very limited programability. Only battery type and brake settings.

The issue I'm having is that the motors don't run until the throttle is at about 40%. I enable motor_stop to keep the motors from spinning at idle.

Any ideas on how I can get them a bit more responsive?

janekx

Post by janekx »

Did you try connect ESC directly to RX if it reacts well or your control board is not bad configured? Have these ESC calibration?

test

Re: Motors not spinning until throttle at 40%

Post by test »

hi haydent here, try checking in the gui or phone app that your radio throttle channel is going from 1000-2000 range

then as mentioned also look into calibrating your esc

mcentyre

Post by mcentyre »

By calibrating the ESC, are you referring to the procedure where you throttle up before connecting the battery with just the ESC and receiver (no flight controller)? I've done that. I haven't done the "no fly" calibration with the flight controller. The range is not exactly 1000-2000, but very close. I've adjusted the % settings on the radio and it's had little effect.

test

Post by test »

that all sounds ok, what it may likely be too is the min throttle setting maybe ?

cleojc8

Post by cleojc8 »

I am having similar problems. I have done the no-fly cal and the individual ESC calibrations. help

crashlander

Post by crashlander »

You should NOT enable (uncomment) EXT_MOTOR_RANGE if you are using normal or SimonK ESC.
That is only for special (or specially build) ESC FW.

Regards
Andrej

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

for starters, disabled enable motor_stop until you resolve all other issues, the motors in MW are designed to be spinning when armed so that you know its armed, and dont accidentally kill yourself. lets see what happens when you fix this! we can always re-enable it once everything is working properly.