changed ESC's Now quad is impossible to fly. SOLVED

msouthcott

changed ESC's Now quad is impossible to fly. SOLVED

Post by msouthcott »

I had 3 matched esc's and one oddball all 20amp and my 450 quad flew very well. But I decided to buy 4 new matched esc's from rctimer. All 20amp simonk flashed esc's. After installing them, the copter is very difficult to fly if at all. As increase throttle for lift it goes from just above idle to high throttle. There is no way to control elevation right now either it is climbing out of control or it is descending out of control.

I have calibrated all of the esc's individually 3 times. The only change is the esc's. Flight controller is crius se.

Anyone else have any similar issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks
Last edited by msouthcott on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrat

Re: changed ESC's Now quad is impossible to fly.

Post by scrat »

msouthcott wrote:I had 3 matched esc's and one oddball all 20amp and my 450 quad flew very well. But I decided to buy 4 new matched esc's from rctimer. All 20amp simonk flashed esc's. After installing them, the copter is very difficult to fly if at all. As increase throttle for lift it goes from just above idle to high throttle. There is no way to control elevation right now either it is climbing out of control or it is descending out of control.

I have calibrated all of the esc's individually 3 times. The only change is the esc's. Flight controller is crius se.

Anyone else have any similar issues? Any suggestions?

Thanks

How did you calibrated esc? Do it with mwii software. In config.h at the bottom of the file there is //ESC_CALIB_CANNOT_FLY - uncoment it upload it to fc (before set all what you need in config.h). REMOVE PROPS. Tx is off. Unplugg USB cable, connect battery wait for beeps aprox. 10sec then disconnect battery. Comment out the line and again uplodan fw to fc and you're done.

msouthcott

Post by msouthcott »

Tried that multiple times. it doesn't work with these ESC's at all. The old ones it worked great. Something seems off with these I suppose I will switch back to the old ones. But I just spent money on these. Really upsetting.

scrat

Post by scrat »

msouthcott wrote:Tried that multiple times. it doesn't work with these ESC's at all. The old ones it worked great. Something seems off with these I suppose I will switch back to the old ones. But I just spent money on these. Really upsetting.

Contact seller and change them for new ones or he can give you money back.

Peter

Post by Peter »

If you connect one motor with one ESC to a receiver directly, do you get a linear throttle response? Try to calibrate it that way too.

chris ables

Post by chris ables »

Go in firmware and change the esc type to simonk

msouthcott

Post by msouthcott »

When you say go into the firmware and set to somink. Could you elaborate? Do you mean in the config.h? I set it in there but I think (I am at work so don't have arduino software here.) the only place to set that is on the mincommand for the calibration. Is there some where else to set it?

Thanks for the help

msouthcott

Post by msouthcott »

Peter wrote:If you connect one motor with one ESC to a receiver directly, do you get a linear throttle response? Try to calibrate it that way too.

Yes I did that first. They all have a nice linear feel individually. Even after arming them they are quite happy. Then as soon as I apply throttle they are uncontrollable. I can watch the motor graphs and they are regularly at full throttle individually. Even with Pids at 1.

Peter

Post by Peter »

If I didn't know that is was flying fine with other escs I would say that there is a vibrations issue. The throttle would bounce high and low all the time to correct for vibration. If it doesn't see a vibration for a moment, it would jump in the air because you do give lots of throttle.
Try to set a low pass filter of 42Hz or 20Hz for your gyro. If that helps it are vibrations.

Goetz

Post by Goetz »

I think Peter is right.

When you see Motor High in Gui you are looking at the output from fc to esc, you don't see wat Esc or motor does.... .....so if Motor are high in gui esc cant be the reason...

msouthcott

Post by msouthcott »

Peter wrote:If I didn't know that is was flying fine with other escs I would say that there is a vibrations issue. The throttle would bounce high and low all the time to correct for vibration. If it doesn't see a vibration for a moment, it would jump in the air because you do give lots of throttle.
Try to set a low pass filter of 42Hz or 20Hz for your gyro. If that helps it are vibrations.

Thanks I will give that a shot.

msouthcott

Post by msouthcott »

Thanks Peter for the suggestion. I uncommented "#define ITG3200_LPF_42HZ" and uploaded the new sketch. To be honest I was not holding out much hope. so I ran it up in my hand and it felt like it was producing lift without much drama. Next step fly out in front my house to see if I can control it. I lifted off nice and easy and nothing. No drama it just lifted off and maintained altitude at about 2 meters and was perfectly stable and happy to be in the air. It is far more stable than my old x525. I actually got to put 3 batteries through it and no issues at all. Didn't even remember to turn on horizon so I did all of the flying in acro mode and didn't even notice.

tovrin

Re: changed ESC's Now quad is impossible to fly. SOLVED

Post by tovrin »

awesome, well, that definitely means you do have a vibration issue, which you should definitely look into, but i am glad you got it going!