CUTOUT

m00se

CUTOUT

Post by m00se »

Hello

I have worked out that my problem is that two of my escs cut out when they get to nearly 90% of the pwm signal,
this means that when the cuad tries to correct angle the motor turns off,

does anyone know what might cause this?
the esc are set to auto detect lipo voltage, slowly reduce speed at low voltage,
high speed timing

thanks in advance for the help, if no one can help then the cuad might be thrown out of the window very soon :twisted:

Hamburger

Re: CUTOUT

Post by Hamburger »

did you calibrate all your ESCs to the 1000-2000 range that is sent by the MWii?

Gartenflieger

Post by Gartenflieger »

I am experiencing the same problem. I suspected either the PWM timing (maybe go for the 400Hz update rate that was implemented recently) or the low voltage cutoff that kicks in at higher voltages for some ESCs than for others.
The latter appears to be more probable, as the problem seems to go away with only the bad ESC/motor connected to the battery. I'd say switch off the Lipo cutoff or go for higher C batteries.

In my case on one quad a spare ESC sorted the problems (400 Hz was not available at that time), but on another quad it still happens if I use 3s instead of 2s batteries (smallish quad with 5" props).

Regards,
Christoph

UndCon

Post by UndCon »

ESC's can "cut out" if you use them on 3S when they are specced for 2S.
Also verify programming of your ESC's

http://www.undcon.com/2011/04/01/turnig ... ogramming/

m00se

Post by m00se »

Hamburger wrote:did you calibrate all your ESCs to the 1000-2000 range that is sent by the MWii?

i calibrated the escs outside of mwii, i calibrated them all with the throttle channel
how can i calibrate them with multiwii? they wont go into calibration mode if they are connecte to the mwii board. i have a y cable because i thought maybe i would need to change settings in the future, but it only works when i de solder the wire from the arduino

m00se

Post by m00se »

Gartenflieger wrote:I am experiencing the same problem. I suspected either the PWM timing (maybe go for the 400Hz update rate that was implemented recently) or the low voltage cutoff that kicks in at higher voltages for some ESCs than for others.
The latter appears to be more probable, as the problem seems to go away with only the bad ESC/motor connected to the battery. I'd say switch off the Lipo cutoff or go for higher C batteries.

In my case on one quad a spare ESC sorted the problems (400 Hz was not available at that time), but on another quad it still happens if I use 3s instead of 2s batteries (smallish quad with 5" props).

Regards,
Christoph

i have the 100hz refresh rate. i suspect a little bit of low voltage cutoff, the battery that does it the most is only a baby 1000mah 3s

i have however hooked it to a 5000 mah 3s and it does the same thing. but only at full acceleration

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

sounds like your not getting enough juice out of even the 5000mah, what is the C rating?
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
I use this and it will tell you if your battery has enough juice to do the job!

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

m00se wrote:
Hamburger wrote:did you calibrate all your ESCs to the 1000-2000 range that is sent by the MWii?

i calibrated the escs outside of mwii, i calibrated them all with the throttle channel
how can i calibrate them with multiwii? they wont go into calibration mode if they are connecte to the mwii board. i have a y cable because i thought maybe i would need to change settings in the future, but it only works when i de solder the wire from the arduino

I think there is no easy way to calibrate ESC while attached to MWii.
But you must use the trottle channel from a RX for which you have set the trottle low/max values to reach 1000 rsp. 2000 endpoints. Using an RX that is configured to work with MWii is safe here. You can check in GUI if throttle input spans 1000-2000 range. Then directly connect ESC to RX throttle output.

m00se

Post by m00se »

Hamburger wrote:
m00se wrote:

But you must use the trottle channel from a RX for which you have set the trottle low/max values to reach 1000 rsp. 2000 endpoints. Using an RX that is configured to work with MWii is safe here. You can check in GUI if throttle input spans 1000-2000 range. Then directly connect ESC to RX throttle output.

so i should set my endpoints on the tx, check them in the gui and then disconnect and calibrate the esc?
only doubt is that only one motor acts wierd and they are all calibrate at the current level

m00se

Post by m00se »

tovrin wrote:sounds like your not getting enough juice out of even the 5000mah, what is the C rating?
http://www.ecalc.ch/xcoptercalc_e.htm?ecalc
I use this and it will tell you if your battery has enough juice to do the job!

i dont knwo the c rating because it took it apart and changed it from 4s to 3s. the wrapper has been binned.
but it was used to fly an octocopter before, so i assume that its up to the job.

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

so i should set my endpoints on the tx, check them in the gui and then disconnect and calibrate the esc?
only doubt is that only one mo they are all calibrate at the current level

Yes. That is the procedure.
Then we will see.

jevermeister

Post by jevermeister »

My T6A only reaches 1120 and 1860 rughly.

When I used my Tunrigy SS18A I had these cutouts often. I could provoke them by banking the copter hard with my handy while in hovermode.
I switched to Hobbywing Pentium 18A.
You can set the Throttle Endpoints here.

But still:
I set the endpoints directly with the TX/RX to 1120 to 1860. So Multiwiii uses 1000 to 2000. What behavior can I expect if Multiwii exceeds over 1860 that is teached by the TX? A cutoff?

I think of implementing a esc endpoint programming routine into multiwii or a standalone *.ino. This way we always would have the endpoints multiwii needs.

One could activate it via defined and the mutlwii code starts with the proper routione to set endpoints right at starting up, afaik you always have some moments after powering the escs.

The most work would go into finding the different calibration routines for differen escs. But I think this is worth a try. I will check something on the next rainy weekend.

I think we should stick to the esc calibration of endpoints. trying to implement the whole programming spectrum would go too far and this is covered by the programming cards anyway.

Nils

tovrin

Post by tovrin »

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1517
check out this thread, there is 2 sketches posted for calibrating ESC's to 2000, i havent tested them yet personally, though.

m00se

Post by m00se »

Hamburger wrote:
m00se wrote:

i dont think that the endpoints are a problem, i have tried changing the code maxthrottle values, if i have it at 1700 max or 2000 max it makes no difference,
the motor runs fine with no prop, and cuts out with a prop installed,

so maybe the motor prop combo is just crud ?

Hamburger

Post by Hamburger »

Some esc..motor.prop combos simply do not work (with mwii.)

m00se

Post by m00se »

well
after a few months of gathering dust, I have picked the cuad up a few new motors and escs to see what the problem was,

i changed the motor , and viola, it doesnt cut out,

now i just have to remember the orientation for the wmp, so that it doesnt go crazy trying to correct angles,