XAircraft ESCs with Multiwii 2.0

Vaattari

XAircraft ESCs with Multiwii 2.0

Post by Vaattari »

Hello

I'm using XAircraft hexa and their ESCs which require shorter PWM timing. Max and min are 200-1200. I was able to change this range with Multiwii 1.9 with MINCOMMAND and MAXCOMMAND. I'm using PPM receiver.

Can I change the ESC timing sameway in Multiwii 2.0 or will the motors 5 and 6 stop working? Is there any way to modify this in the current 2.0? :roll:

Thanks,
janne

Vaattari

Re: XAircraft ESCs with Multiwii 2.0

Post by Vaattari »

Replacing Mini Pro to Mega board. Hopefully that will work or else the ESCs need to be reflashed.

Vaattari

Post by Vaattari »

I changed FC to Flyduino and running hexa with Multiwii 2.0. The frame is not as stable as it was when using Multiwii 1.9. When LPF value is commented "//" the copter is shaking like it would do with too big"P". I had to change the LPF to 20Hz but small shake is still there, not bad but still very visible when taking video with onboard camera. There was no such shaking with Multiwii 1.9.
Maybe the small PWM is making the issue as no other has reported this. Is there any other way to change the ESC PWM scale rather than MINCOMMAND and MAXCOMMAND?

Thanks,
janne

BooBoo

Post by BooBoo »

Hi All,

First post, and comlete newb to RC systems. So please be gentle. I have no problem with "direct" answers, but see no point in rudeness.

We also have Xaircraft ESCs. We (a final year school project for my son and I) are complete newbs, so when I asked for advice in the model shop, I did actually expect to buy something which would work in a self build project. Sadly, phrases like "complete self build" were ignored. Enough whining.

Anyway, We have a complete model, but the ESCs will not talk to the system, properly (politely?).
I have done a fair amount of net searching, ad found a couple of "tweaks", but I have been unable to reproduce the same results for either solution. 1 was for MW2.0, and the other for MW1.9 (in Russian), which also meant trying an older Arduino environment. Any way, that failed. The changes to MW2.0 seem better. The motors start at "MINCOMMAND" rate, and I have tested this by changing this one define. All other elements are ignored, unless MINCOMMAND < 800 (which I have in a constant called "ULTRAPWMOFFSET"). Once started, there is no reaction at all to the throttle, and moving the sticks produces clicking from the ESCs, which I have read is due to timing between them and the motors.

I can read the code, almost.

I can see the sense in the "-800" factor, but I do not see how this is reflected back to the PWM wavelength, or frequency. I've seen the code mods in the ardupilot system, so I see no reason why ultraPWM should not also work in MultiWii, except perhaps, their architecture is more mature.

We are using:

5v MiniPro 16MHz Arduino
WM+
Nunchuk
Spektrum DX5e supplied with a Spektrum 6 channel receiver.
Frame: Self build
Wiring: Self build, there are no shorts -> the GUI works fine.

I can see all elements communicating correctly in the GUI, so I am safe to assume the wiring is OK. LED start up is fine, a few blinks during boot, and then a steady flash to indicate the Nunchuk is active (as I have read, this is normal).

Does anyone have any ideas about how to get the ultraPWM ESCs working? Any ideas on where to look in the code? I found the variable names a bit easier to follow in 1.9, but I'm getting there with 2.0.

Regards,

B. B. Monkey

jose_Quad

Post by jose_Quad »

Vaattari wrote:Hello

I'm using XAircraft hexa and their ESCs which require shorter PWM timing. Max and min are 200-1200. I was able to change this range with Multiwii 1.9 with MINCOMMAND and MAXCOMMAND. I'm using PPM receiver.

Can I change the ESC timing sameway in Multiwii 2.0 or will the motors 5 and 6 stop working? Is there any way to modify this in the current 2.0? :roll:

Thanks,
janne

Hi im the same ESC in config.h i change to this

/**************************** Motor minthrottle *******************************/
/* Set the minimum throttle command sent to the ESC (Electronic Speed Controller)
This is the minimum value that allow motors to run at a idle speed */
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1300 // for Turnigy Plush ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1120 // for Super Simple ESCs 10A
//#define MINTHROTTLE 1220
#define MINTHROTTLE 200

/**************************************************************************************/
/******** special ESC (wii-ESC) with extended range ********************/
/**************************************************************************************/
#define MINCOMMAND 180
#define MINTHROTTLE 200
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1195
//#define EXT_MOTOR_RANGE

/******** Special Throttle settings ********************/

/* this is the value for the ESCs when they are not armed
in some cases, this value must be lowered down to 900 for some specific ESCs */
#define MINCOMMAND 180

/* this is the maximum value for the ESCs at full power
this value can be increased up to 2000 */
#define MAXTHROTTLE 1195

Here is a video off this settings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIxMcbeo ... ature=plcp

Sorry for my english im from Colombia :)